Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Default Tipping

I do not go out that much to worry about a mandatory tip which I would refuse anyway. The only place I tip is the bar where I give the barmais $5.00 for a $3.00 glass of beer. She has to good looking, friendly and have a sense of humour. Piker
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 PM

When i go out here in town I usually go to the same place. The steaks are good and the service is always fret so i tip good. Went there just before Xmas and when we satdown the lounge manager came over and gave us a card. Inside she had a $50 gift card for the lounge. She said you guys are good customers so we want to show ya we appreciate it. Good serves equals good tips which equal good serves. It can be a good circle if you do it right

As for buffet, I give $2. Regardless of how much the bill is.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 PM

We were out in Vancouver a couple months ago with a group of 8. We found that every place we went to would automatically add 20%. The sneaky part was that they wouldn't tell us it was added. We would take the total, add 20% and divide by 8. A couple waitresses ended up with a 40% tip before we figured it out.

I usually tip 20% unless the service is sub par. My pet peeve is no refills and having to wait for the bill after we ask for it. And I have never understood why we tip based on the total of the bill. 20% of a $30 tab or 20% of a $100 tab even though the service was the same at both restaurants.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The auto-tip philosophy is akin to a fellow who goes on a date, concludes in his mind that he did everything right, so he automatically adds some sex to the evenings agenda, with or without his female companions consent. The auto-tip proposal is less violent most assuredly, but it's removing consent from an important party in the transaction.

I tip most of the time, but I'll be damned if I'm told to regardless of the service I receive.
I seen what you did there;calling expected sex "Auto-Tipping" LOL!!

If a customer is going to be expected to pay something,then it should be built into the price. Otherwise a customer feels taken advantage of.

Can you imagine what a final tab would be for a guy in British Columbia who takes a woman out for a nice dinner with a few drinks. By the time the meals,drinks,all the taxes,the Forced Gratuity and the taxes on the gratuity are added up,the meal will be close to twice as much.

By my math,when finished factoring the pleasure to cost ratio,a guy would come out farther ahead if he took 2 girls out for dinner at the same time! At least then, the bragging rights would virtually dissolve the 20% Tip.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 PM

I was just at the holiday inn in grande prairie. Ordered a clubhouse sandwich from room service. On the menu it says room service $2 extra for delivery plus 15% tip. The total for this amazingly incredible clubhouse sandwich was $16.74. They ask you how you are paying? and I told them cash.

Girl shows up about 10 minutes after I order with the sandwich. Ive got a $20 in my hand. Before she even hands me the tray,, she has the nerve to say to me me "Are you going to require change? because I didnt bring any!"

Umm I just spent $2 to get this sandwich brought up 1 floor,, plus an included 15% gratuity. And you have the nerve to ask me if i want my $3.25 change after you made $4 to bring it to me up one floor.

Nope I sure dont require change,, give me a minute. Went and grabbed a bunch of loonies toonies and quarters totalling $16.75 and handed it to her. You would think I just kicked her dog the look she gave me!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontario gunner View Post
Nope I sure dont require change,, give me a minute. Went and grabbed a bunch of loonies toonies and quarters totalling $16.75 and handed it to her. You would think I just kicked her dog the look she gave me!
We were at a hotel in Edmonton one time, and ordered pizza. The bill was about $28.00, my daughter answered the door, handed him $40.00 and got the pizza. He just turned around and left, thinking he got a well deserved $12.00 tip for having to ride the elevator.

I called Pizza73, told them what the driver did to my 8 year old daughter while I was in the bedroom changing, and told them he had 10 minutes to get back with my money before I went to the RCMP and charged him with theft. Yes I know, $12.00 but it was my $12.00.

The little b@stard argued with my wife when he got back, saying my daughter told him to keep the change, which she did not. When I stood up and he was nose to chest, the argument ended. Pizza 73 apologized, we got 2 free pizzas, which I don't think I ever used.

I never tip the delivery guys more than a buck or 2 either anymore.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 PM

I pay for good service, if i don;t get it, you don't get tipped. 15% if you do the minimum, keep me comfortable and make me laugh I can tip huge. Only place I ever been where tipping was mandatory - Bars in Montreal, 20% tip, or you don;t get table service, period.

little story, we went to a pub in Calgary one night, service was HORRIBLE place was dead, little chicky was over at the end of the bar texting on her phone, laughing with the bartender, while we waited for service (and were not power drinkers by no means, I mean a meal and couple beers). end of the night I picked up the tab on my CC, she asked how everything was I said "food was good" .. Didn;t leave a tip 0%, my buddy was disgusted, couldn't believe I didn't tip her. I explained I tip for service, we didn't get any and though nothing of it..

couple weeks later, same scenario, same buddy, meal and a couple beers, the waitress was wicked, busy place she was running her ass off, took time to learn and use our names she was laughing and joking, simply awesome, when I went to pay, I paid the tab on my CC at cost, 60 bucks or so, and slipped her 40 bucks (66%) before I left ( tip sharing is BS, her choice if she pockets it or not) my buddy couldn;t belive I tipped her that much, all I said was remember a couple weeks ago?? well, she just EARNED other chickies tip. and she'll remember us next time..he tips like me now.

gratuity is for service, nothing more, and should never be mandatory
Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 PM

I have no problem with Room Service tacking on @0% for lugging it up and about the hotel..but when I am in a resteraunt I expect great service..on of the BPs I frequent they know me so well my drink arrives as soon as I sit down...i appreciate that and tip accordingly
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 PM

I'm surprised that these same restaurants are not charging a Parking Lot Improvement Fee.

It's probably only a matter of time before all the restaurants are charging it. Just like how Fuel Surcharges and Shop Supplies have become the norm.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I find women do a better job of it. It had to be good service or you do not get a tip. They also figure out each others cost down to the nickle. Guys mostly round it off. On occasion I have been with guys who left no tip and never paid their share of the GST.
A group of my coworkers went out to for lunch one day. The bill for the table was going around, people added their cash for their food and some for tip. The bill got to the last guy, he decided that there was enough to cover his meal and still leave a good enough tip. He took the bill and cash up to the till and never added ANY for his own meal or tip.
My guy beats your guy for douche award!

What about tipping your tattoo artist? I gave a flat $20; but no one else I talked to have ever thought about it; but they tip their hairdresser/barber.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:25 PM

I always, always tip tattooists and piercers well... especially if I plan to return.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustayah View Post
A group of my coworkers went out to for lunch one day. The bill for the table was going around, people added their cash for their food and some for tip. The bill got to the last guy, he decided that there was enough to cover his meal and still leave a good enough tip. He took the bill and cash up to the till and never added ANY for his own meal or tip.
My guy beats your guy for douche award!
I got this 1 beat. We were invited out to meet 4 other couples at a Pub.(Wife and I only knew 2 of the couples) We got there just as the meals were being finished. 1 of the wives started ordering up rounds of "Girlie" shooters for everybody.(16% alcohol) She would tell the waitress every 15 minutes or so to bring another 10 shooters. I thought she was a very generous person. Around midnight, one of the couples that we didn't know left and threw some misc. paper money on the table and said their goodbyes. 15 minutes later "Shooter Wife" and hubby leave( other couple we didn't know) and left $35.00!!! They drank since 6:30PM, both ate full entree meals at a pub, got drunk,ordered up about 80-100 shooters and left $35.00!!!! I found out that the other couple left $50. My buddy told me that this was a fairly regular occurrence with these people but he put up with it to keep his wife happy. He would generally get stuck owing 3 times his share. In the case above,the final tab was about $900 and when we counted up the cash,there was only about $240 by the time the other couple left. I think they would have stayed longer but didn't want to risk playing Hot Potato with the Tab. The wife and I didn't eat,my wife only had 2 beer and a single shooter,and I had about 10 of the "shooters" and maybe 8 beers. I felt obligated to drop $250 because of the massive bill that he was being stuck with. He really didn't want to take it from me but I insisted.

We never went out with those couples again. I don't miss drinking anymore either!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Banned

TIPS= to insure prompt service...I tip 20 points usually in North America...got informed by my daughter that you don't have to tip in England..so i slide the server cash while leaving...just can't help it
Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I got this 1 beat. We were invited out to meet 4 other couples at a Pub.(Wife and I only knew 2 of the couples) We got there just as the meals were being finished. 1 of the wives started ordering up rounds of "Girlie" shooters for everybody.(16% alcohol) She would tell the waitress every 15 minutes or so to bring another 10 shooters. I thought she was a very generous person. Around midnight, one of the couples that we didn't know left and threw some misc. paper money on the table and said their goodbyes. 15 minutes later "Shooter Wife" and hubby leave( other couple we didn't know) and left $35.00!!! They drank since 6:30PM, both ate full entree meals at a pub, got drunk,ordered up about 80-100 shooters and left $35.00!!!! I found out that the other couple left $50. My buddy told me that this was a fairly regular occurrence with these people but he put up with it to keep his wife happy. He would generally get stuck owing 3 times his share. In the case above,the final tab was about $900 and when we counted up the cash,there was only about $240 by the time the other couple left. I think they would have stayed longer but didn't want to risk playing Hot Potato with the Tab. The wife and I didn't eat,my wife only had 2 beer and a single shooter,and I had about 10 of the "shooters" and maybe 8 beers. I felt obligated to drop $250 because of the massive bill that he was being stuck with. He really didn't want to take it from me but I insisted.

We never went out with those couples again. I don't miss drinking anymore either!!!
Somthing like that may cause me to go to their house and get myself 4 new tires and wheels off of whatever they are driving.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 PM

In Europe tipping is not the norm either...I was in Germany and we were chased down the street by our waitress in the pub because we left too much money...she would not accept it! I think they are paid well over there (better than here because they don't have to rely on tips) in the service industry and I think tipping to them is seen as rude....like saying I am better than you so I think you need a hand out...at least thats the only reason I could think of.

LC
Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 PM

I was tarbending at a little hotel pub in Edmonton during the winter games years back. Our hotel was taken over by all of these seniors from England that came to cheer on their team. I used to run that bar by myself, even when it was packed wall to wall with these people for a week. So, I was busy, but still (mostly) cheerful and courteous, even when I didn't get a single tip. For a week.
I think one of my regulars said something to one of them because on the last night (which happened to be my last day as well because of school) when I was getting ready to close, they all swarmed me at the bar and got me hold out my hands while they POURED money into my hands and all over the floor! Said I more than earned it! It was kindof memorable
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman403 View Post
Somthing like that may cause me to go to their house and get myself 4 new tires and wheels off of whatever they are driving.
I had been in that scenario many,many times with friends of my own back home and all of us left way more than our share if we left early. If a guy drank 4 beers they would leave $40. The cost for the 4 beer would be about $20 but that didn't cover tip and leaving anything smaller than a 20 dollar bill would seem cheap or feminine. The Waitresses would always get an enormous tip and they knew us. We never,ever had to sit in front of empties waiting for service.

My buddy already knew that it was going to happen that night,he was used to it. Apparently their friends' thinking,was that since he was a driller and she was an RN they could afford it!!! I still have no idea how some brains function. They have kids now and I don't think that they go out anymore with their good "friends" to be taken advantage of.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 PM

When I was in north Dakota working it was kind of the same. They don't really tip to much there. Happy hour has $1.50 a beer and most locals took their change. So me and.the gf went to the bar that had the live band on fridays. From the time we showed up the waitress was great, we never had to look for her she was always coming over, never was with out a drink. When the place was closing we asked for our tab. It was a little over $300 I think, included some drinks from a few guys from work who stopped by and left some cash for their drinks. So i paid the Bill and gave her a big tip, close to $100 I think, mostly the.money the guys left. She just stood there and gave me a weird look then left. A few minutes later she came back and asked what we wanted from here.
I asked what does she mean. She said no one tips that much unless they are looking for "something". I laughed and said u were a great server we don't want anything.

Then the her next comment was the best
"you must be from Canada, people here don't tip like that" LOL
Any time after that if i went in and she was working I got first priority for drinks lol
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post

That is when I would have stood up and got the tab squared away.

That couple would have never left before this happened.

I avoid this by starting a "seperate tab" the minute I sit down.

I will buy people drinks if I choose but I will not buy them if I dont choose to.

I had one waitress localy ask me to pay someones tab at the table who had left AFTER I had paid for my meal and drinks on the SEPERATE TAB.

I still laff at her for being so stupid....but do tip her 15%

I have no trouble being unpopular LOL

Last edited by IR_mike; 01-18-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
That is when I would have stood up and got the tab squared away.

That couple would have never left before this happened.

I avoid this by starting a "seperate tab" the minute I sit down.
No kidding, drink like that and leave? I know people like that, sense of entitlement or something, they feel everyone else is better for having spent time with them.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-19-2012, 12:33 AM

I don't go by the % ...I go by gut feeling..

Some cheap burger barn might get fifty cents or it might get Double my bill if the sevice was great..

The girl at my local Timmies usually gets a good tip..
Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
No kidding, drink like that and leave? I know people like that, sense of entitlement or something, they feel everyone else is better for having spent time with them.
I do as well........I just dont have anything in common with them and definetly do not sit down with them.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmoTrutta View Post
little story, we went to a pub in Calgary one night, service was HORRIBLE place was dead, little chicky was over at the end of the bar texting on her phone, laughing with the bartender, while we waited for service (and were not power drinkers by no means, I mean a meal and couple beers).
Any chance you were at the James Joyce on 4th? The one time I haven't tipped since I moved to Calgary in 1997 was at that Joyce location. My experience was pretty much exactly what you just described. But, the server even pulled off my biggest pet peave . . . she brought the appetizers at the same time as the entrées. Guess she didn't understand what it meant when I said "We'll start with . . . "?

I've never had a problem at the Joyce on Stephen Ave, though.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 AM

I love all the guys on here who are to cheap to tip, and say the bars and restaurants should increase there wages and menu items............
If the service or food wasn't there, do what you please, but otherwise.....

If your to cheap to tip, you are to cheap to pay more for food and drinks to, just come out of the closet and call yourself a cheapskate!! Don't say you don't believe in tipping.....most of those girls serving you are single moms and students trying to pay for an education.

In Europe, tips are included in the bill, and along the Mediterranean servers pay rent to the restaurant to work there.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I love all the guys on here who are to cheap to tip, and say the bars and restaurants should increase there wages and menu items............
If the service or food wasn't there, do what you please, but otherwise.....

If your to cheap to tip, you are to cheap to pay more for food and drinks to, just come out of the closet and call yourself a cheapskate!! Don't say you don't believe in tipping.....most of those girls serving you are single moms and students trying to pay for an education.

In Europe, tips are included in the bill, and along the Mediterranean servers pay rent to the restaurant to work there.
What if those single moms and students are the ones out for dinner? Do you still think the same? I think this tipping entitlement is a little steep.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:35 AM

Why is it necessary to reward a person for doing their job? In europe, tipping is not the norm in many countries. the job gets done regardless.

Tipping is getting out of hand. Since when does a hair dresser require a tip for doing their job?

Do you get a tip for being competent as an employee? If you are not competent and attentive, is a tip withheld instead of a pink slip being issued?

We really have to look at this. Tips usually are not declared. In a good night at a good bar, easily $100.00 can be made on Tips alone, tax free, in addition to wages. Sometimes more.

If the hospitality employees are relying on tips for income, isn't that the fault of the employees willing to work for low wages? Shouldn't it be that good service is expected as the NORM, and the bill is part of the expected compensation of the employer and employee from the customer?

This idea of 20 % as an expectation is a joke. The bills are going up with all other aspects of cost of living. The raise is built in without the need to demand more in the way of tips.

I am getting so tired of this philosophy of entitlement. Perhaps we should just expect good service, regardless of tips.

Drewski
Old 01-19-2012, 11:41 AM

Dont be cheap....leave a tip
Old 01-19-2012, 11:44 AM

I always leave 15-20% as long as the service is good..

If im picking up food for work i will leave a big tip because...Oilfield companies have lots of money
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Tipping is getting out of hand. Since when does a hair dresser require a tip for doing their job?
My family has tipped our stylists since the 70's, at least. I don't know what my mother did any earlier than about 1977 or so, as that pre-dates my memory. I think she gave our stylist (Karen) $1 per cut, if I remember correctly.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Here is what Travel Advisor has to say about tipping in Canada:

Quote:
Tipping
In restaurants

Gratuities are seldom included in Canadian restaurants. It is customary to tip approximately 15% on the total bill before tax, 20% for exceptional service. Approximately because tipping is personal and if 10% is your personal choice then tip 10%; but 15% is customary and (rightly or wrongly) expected.

Many restaurants may charge an automatic 15% or more gratuity for larger groups. This is up to the individual establishment but is usually applicable to groups of 8 or more. Some restaurants also "auto-grat" groups from countries that don't normally tip. A "tip" for calculating the appropriate tip at a restaurant is simply to multiply the 5% GST (Goods and Services Tax) amount shown on the bill by three--three times 5% is 15%. The GST has been replaced by the HST In British Columbia (12%), Ontario (13%) and the Atlantic provinces (13% to 15%) and, depending on the amount, it may be easy to round up to 15%.

In hotels

It is also a good idea to tip in hotels. Tipping at hotels does not stop with the hotel staff that brings baggage to a guest room. For example, if the valet service is used to park a car, it is customary to leave a tip. If you are in and out with your vehicle several times a day, many valets will refuse a tip each time. When they refuse, it is a nice touch to leave a little extra on their next tip. It is also appreciated when a tip is left for your hotel room attendant. One idea is to write 'Thank You' on a notepad and leave the tip there. Also, if the hotel concierge does something extra, such as securing theatre tickets for you it is the usual practice to leave a tip for that service.

For other services

Tipping is also customary for other service providers such as hairdressers, manicurists, aestheticians and taxi drivers. In these cases the percentage of tip is really up to the individual, but 10% minimum is common.

In some tourist destinations, "tips jars" have started appearing in places that provide counter service -- coffee shops, ice cream shops, cafeterias etc. , and even in some retail stores. Foreign visitors who are unaccustomed to Canada may feel that this means that Canadians would normally provide a tip, but that is not so. It is not necessary to tip for counter service, and it is definitely not customary to tip the clerk in retail stores. Whether you put money in such a "tips jar" is entirely your choice, and you will not be being rude if you choose not to.

Tipping is your choice, however you need to consider...

Aside from situations in which a gratuity is charged by the establishment (noted above), remember that tipping is your choice. It is common to tip in restaurants, but it is not required. It is not as common for other service providers (hairdressers, manicurists, etc...); again it is a choice. Overall, servers/wait staff are not paid very well in Canada and many of them rely on tips. However, tipping is up to the customer. Sometimes the service is worth a tip, but other times it is not.

If you have a bad restaurant experience, however, many people — especially those in the food service industry — feel quite strongly that refusing to tip is not the best way to respond. If food is bad, why should the server be punished by no tip? If the service is slow because the kitchen is slow, it is unfair to not tip. If a server is rude to you, you should do more than just withhold a tip. If your experience was so poor that you are considering not leaving any tip, consider speaking to a manager instead. Most managers want to know about problems so they have an opportunity to make things better for their customers. That could extend to offering you a free meal, which is a much better solution. Of course, complaints about a dish which you ate (even though you didn't like it) lack credibility. So if the food is bad, tell your server (or, if necessary, the manager) about it immediately.

It is also important to remember that in many restaurants, the server is required to "tip out" -- that is, to give a percentage of his/her total sales to cover tips for hostesses, bussers and similar service staff. This happens regardless of what level of tip he/she received from you, because it's based on sales, not on tips. If you choose not to tip, the server still has to tip those other support workers. So by choosing not to tip, you may actually cost the server money from his/her own pocket.