Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Banned

Default MH trophy day

dont forget today is the mhfga trophy day at the cypress senter. cody robbins is scheduled to have that giganto mule deer there and usually this show is the largest in southern alberta. hihgs have hot well over 1000 through the door, and over 200 heads. given the massive cutback in mule and stinkgoat tags i reckon there will be less heads this year, but should be good anyway. besides codys buck. i also know of an elk around 380 gonna be there. good luck to those trying to dethrone last years iron buck champion. that guy is awesome!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:42 AM

it sounds great!! post some pics and scores please...thx chain
Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Banned

pretty dismal turnout to be honest. sorry, i didnt have a camera, but typ whitetail was 157, non typ mule 206, elk 372, archery honors went to robin who also won the ladies category, my boy eric was second in junior category at 130, first was 136 both whitetails. moose i think was 151...sorry, thats all i remember. that cool guy that won last years iron buck only managed 3rd today. eric also won 2 bird categories and robin 1. overall, the numbers of heads was way down....in fact no antelope showed up period.

still it was a pretty fun day where lots of stories were swapped and i got to see a bunch of people i havent yakked with in a while. cody robbins had his world record mule there, and wsf had the cruissen ram too. dshaw from here on the forum had a great taxidermy display which included a gigantic elk. its a clean 6 grossing just over 400.....what a toad. im calling the day a success.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 PM

It's always interesting and fun to find out what's going on down south - thanks ISB!!
Ours is going to be Feb11.....
Cat
Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 PM

I had a Great time! Meeting and visiting with Bentley Coben was The high light of my day.Aswell visitng with all the other sportsman was awesome! I'm glad that I was able to make it!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
pretty dismal turnout to be honest. sorry, i didnt have a camera, but typ whitetail was 157, non typ mule 206, elk 372, archery honors went to robin who also won the ladies category, my boy eric was second in junior category at 130, first was 136 both whitetails. moose i think was 151...sorry, thats all i remember. that cool guy that won last years iron buck only managed 3rd today. eric also won 2 bird categories and robin 1. overall, the numbers of heads was way down....in fact no antelope showed up period.
So are you sleeping in the garage now?.... After Robin's deer got entered?

LC
Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 AM

Sounds like a good day to me ..It's always interesting to see and hear about the current years take in your area as well as meet new hunters .. Curious , do you hand out the awards the same day like Willow Valley does or you have a banquet later ? What's the "iron buck " ? Sorry for all the questions , just looking for ideas to improve our club .
Old 01-29-2012, 09:16 AM

No banquet awards get handed out at the end of the day!!

Bambi can explain the iron buck !!! All i can say is there lucky i havent participated the last couple years !lol... Next year im in theres going to be a new champ

There was also 3 mule deer that grossed 199 to 208 !

Last edited by Drop_Tine; 01-29-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
The iron buck:

it is modeled after mathews archerys ultimate shoot out contest. becasue it is indoors, space is limited so we cant back shooters up to increase difficulty, so the hole is a removable plate. the hole gets smaller and smaller and as long as you get your arrow in the hole you advance to the next round. you start out with 3 arrows, and as long as you have at least one left, you get to keep shooting until the last one is standing.

like drop tine said, awards are handed out at the end of the day. i really liked this years format. a local vendor donates a lot of time and effort into helping out the club. this year, the prizes were gift certificates to the vendors booth so you could go and choose some outdoor gear that you want or need. i think its a great idea as the winner gets a prize of choice rather than a trinket or plastic trophy that would get tossed in a closet.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:42 PM

It was a really great time! visiting with Bentley and cody and seeing the deer and sheds they brought was awesome! their both great guys to talk to and down to earth. The Iron buck contest is fun to watch and the elk calling contest was pretty good as well. was great to see and talk to some of the forum members there as well.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:48 PM

Thanx for the replies ISB and Drop Tine , I'd like to see our club go to the awards at the end of the day also as it seems only awards winners come to the banquet . We've given out gift certicates instead of trpohies for about the last 10 years and had only 1 guy out of 240 winners get bent cause he had to have his piece of plastic .. The iron buck looks like a ton of fun .
Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Thanx for the replies ISB and Drop Tine , I'd like to see our club go to the awards at the end of the day also as it seems only awards winners come to the banquet . We've given out gift certicates instead of trpohies for about the last 10 years and had only 1 guy out of 240 winners get bent cause he had to have his piece of plastic .. The iron buck looks like a ton of fun .
I love getting a nice plaque vs a gift certificate or goods. Knives like Willow Valley give out or sometihng with some meaning to it are nice to have in the trophy room or to look back on years down the road. Must be a personal thing for me but I'd rather have it than some cash or gift certificate. I'd never get 'bent' about it though, but I do enjoy the clubs with something with some information on it...
Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I love getting a nice plaque vs a gift certificate or goods. Knives like Willow Valley give out or sometihng with some meaning to it are nice to have in the trophy room or to look back on years down the road. Must be a personal thing for me but I'd rather have it than some cash or gift certificate. I'd never get 'bent' about it though, but I do enjoy the clubs with something with some information on it...
I agree with you in that a plaque is a nice touch as well, we do that for overall winners , such as overall best entry and memorial awards . Kids and junior awards are trophies as well . However how many knives can a person need or use ? A gift certicate to a local sporting good store helps solve that problem and has been well recieved . You'd understand what I mean if you knew the guy that got "bent " .
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Gone Hunting

As nice as they can be, how many of those crappy little trophies can a guy win before ya gotta stop entering game LOL.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 01-29-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
It was a really great time! visiting with Bentley and cody and seeing the deer and sheds they brought was awesome! their both great guys to talk to and down to earth. The Iron buck contest is fun to watch and the elk calling contest was pretty good as well. was great to see and talk to some of the forum members there as well.
I enjoyed the show very much as well. Bently and Cody were great people to chat with as they are very grounded and the enthusiasm for what they do is evident and refreshing. The only thing that could make the show better is if I win one of the minister raffle draws!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
So are you sleeping in the garage now?.... After Robin's deer got entered?

LC
she got called to work, so getting it out of the house was easy. i am sworn to secrecy on the number though. all i can say is its pretty well bang on what i thought. she did make it there late, and as she was coming in i was yanking that tag off the antler. all she got to see was a red ribbon on it, and the smile on her face told me i made the right decision. the real reason she was hesitant was fear of someone telling her it was too small to mount. to the guys that fired out a congrats....a lot of them from here like drop tine, trophyboy, lone wolf, dshaw and others....i know im missing some....robin says thank you. the look on her face when cody robbins gave her a big congrats was just priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I agree with you in that a plaque is a nice touch as well, we do that for overall winners , such as overall best entry and memorial awards . Kids and junior awards are trophies as well . However how many knives can a person need or use ? A gift certicate to a local sporting good store helps solve that problem and has been well recieved . You'd understand what I mean if you knew the guy that got "bent " .
the one thing that willow valley does that i think should be adopted in med hat is the boards showing past winners. i find it interesting to see what names show up consistently over the years. they actually used to do it once upon a time, but for whatever reason, records keeping kinda went away from that.

Last edited by ishootbambi; 01-29-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
she got called to work, so getting it out of the house was easy. i am sworn to secrecy on the number though. all i can say is its pretty well bang on what i thought. she did make it there late, and as she was coming in i was yanking that tag off the antler. all she got to see was a red ribbon on it, and the smile on her face told me i made the right decision. the real reason she was hesitant was fear of someone telling her it was too small to mount. to the guys that fired out a congrats....a lot of them from here like drop tine, trophyboy, lone wolf, dshaw and others....i know im missing some....robin says thank you. the look on her face when cody robbins gave her a big congrats was just priceless.

the one thing that willow valley does that i think should be adopted in med hat is the boards showing past winners. i find it interesting to see what names show up consistently over the years. they actually used to do it once upon a time, but for whatever reason, records keeping kinda went away from that.
We do the same , but not with the fancy plaque tho it would be a nice touch .. Ours is just a poster board with the category winners back quite aways.. As was said it is interesting to see all the repeat winners , as well as emberassing for some .. As for taxiing Robins deer ? What a sweet mount and beautiful deer , looks great , congrats .