Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Minimalist Hunting Canister/Stove Show & Tell

Please leave this in the hunting section....i said hunting in the title because that is what is important!

Sorry i didn't take field pics, i used the snowpeak giga this year and great little stove but like any good gear junky i waited for the soto od1r to come available at mec and i was in there the other day for something else and remembered to check so i picked one up.

Specs for snowpeak giga are 3.25 oz plus something to light it with...i like mini-bic lighters, and 10,000 btu burner.

Specs for soto od1r are 2.6 oz including ignitor, and 11,000 but burner.

So gained performance, saved weight. Have only fired it up to test out so far but man it can rip and simmer seems great as most of them these days have pretty good simmer control.

Here's some pics for specs. So i saved an ounce forsure going with the soto lol....i just wanted this stove dang it!

Requirements for me were ability to nest inside the gsi halulite minimalist cup. With a full new fuel canister inside the cup with soto stove and couple packs of starbucks via right at 16 oz (1 lb). Eat your heart out jetboil. This is the components way to go minimal. Easy, stove, canister, gsi minimalist, add some starbucks via, maybe hot choc for mocca, and some mountain house and good to go!

Pics for size reference.

Here is soto against another really small stove that will nest inside cup...the snowpeak giga which needs a lighter. I do keep a lighter in my survival/first aid gear so i guess i always have one anyhow...the ignitor is slick though.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Very Nice....

Is it available anywhere else than Mountain Equipment Coop?

My concsience won't let me buy anything at MEC as they will use that money to finance the closure of our mountains to hunting.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 PM

Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 PM

Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Very Nice....

Is it available anywhere else than Mountain Equipment Coop?

My concsience won't let me buy anything at MEC as they will use that money to finance the closure of our mountains to hunting.
Online, out of the States.

I used mine over the summer and fall with a little Ti pot. It doth rock...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:20 PM

I've used a lot of stoves and gear and lightweight and ultra lightweight gear...watched the gimmicks come and go...

My advice....buy good, buy once.

Get an MSR dragonfly and an MSR pocket rocket and be done with it.

Buy titanium cookware, and be done with it.

Buy titanium utensils, and be done with it.

Buy mountain house, and be done with it,

Buy katadyn water purifiers, and be done with it.

Realize that all you need is a water boiler, and be done with it.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

i did get pic one using the snowpeak this fall lookin for sheep on a day hunt, nice when you can just carry a tiny bit more water and throw that little can in the sack even on day hunts have a hot lunch in the late season...so in case anyone not used to using this stuff or have questions how it works without going and reading the instructions etc...

screw stove on and expand, pull neoprene sleeve off the cup, put cup on and put some water in and boil it up, you put the lid on upside down when boiling to speed things up (more efficient), then the little orange rubber thing is the pot gripper, it has a magnate in it so you can stick it to the underside of the canister when nesting since its concave under the canister might as well use the space, two starbucks via packet will also fit under the canister, so you grab the lip of the hot cup with the little silicone gripper and dump boiled water into mountain house meal and let set of 9 minutes, while your meal is getting ready you can boil up another cup of water, add your coffee/hot choc/baileys and this time you use the gripper to lower the hot cup into the neoprene sleeve, then you put the lid on right side up and voila...hot drink made before hot lunch even ready and because of the sleeve you can hold the hot drink like normal (no burning your hands off), it insulates the drink and your hand....and i can tell you, that little cup with the sleeve/lid on will keep your drink hot for a long time, so its nice if your going to sit for awhile...at least 1/2 hour sort of thing

so thats kind of run down on the tiny little set up, the spork retracts onto itself, its all you need to eat the mountain house meal in a bag....very slick system, the spork, gripper, lid, sleeve all come with that gsi halulite minimalist cup set, i think its 30 bucks at mec, sucks to shop there as they are a little too 'green' at times but whatever, i'm leavin the politics out of it, they got good gear for sheep hunting, we should plug the business on our successful hunt threads lol...."and thanks to MEC for the supplies that made this hunt so much more enjoyable", "i trust my life on MEC and so can you" ha ha

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 12-05-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Banned

got my scale back, weight update, 15 ounces!

soto stove 2.5
gsi halulite minimalsit cup set 6.0
jetboil fuel canister 6.5 (full new one)

came in 1 ounce lighter for the works than anticipated
Old 01-28-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
got my scale back, weight update, 15 ounces!
Not bad at all.

I need to get a decent scale. It would be nice to confirm gear weights.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I've used a lot of stoves and gear and lightweight and ultra lightweight gear...watched the gimmicks come and go...

My advice....buy good, buy once.

Get an MSR dragonfly and an MSR pocket rocket and be done with it.

Buy titanium cookware, and be done with it.

Buy titanium utensils, and be done with it.

Buy mountain house, and be done with it,

Buy katadyn water purifiers, and be done with it.

Realize that all you need is a water boiler, and be done with it.
Arn.... do you have any experience with one of these ? www.kellykettleusa.com
I don't have one yet but I was going to order one of each size.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 AM

Thanks Stinky for luring me into this purchase last year. I just need to buy some of the Jetboil canisters to fit into the cup yet. You're a bad influence BTW
Old 01-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

anytime skinnydipper, you'll get even at some point if you haven't already fellow gear junky
Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Banned

Default hunting stove

The above stoves are great for california weather.

If its not finger freezing cold when you cook or the wind is not blowing or its not raining or snowing, then cooking can be done outside without much suffering.

A 12 ounce chimney on the stove lets you cook and eat inside the tent out of bad weather.
If you hunt where there is wood then a 5"x5" tin can wood burner will do what your gas stove does and you will not run out of fuel.

Last edited by chimpac; 01-31-2012 at 09:53 AM.