Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2012, 07:32 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
"descent into madness" is a great story,surprised it hasn't been made into a bad cbc movie.
just finished "kill binladin" by dalton fury. basiclly the story of delta's hunt for him.

50 of the u.s. top killers had him cornered in toro boro. when they asked for the only escape route out of toro boro into pakistan to be blocked. first by u.s regular troop, they got denied. then they asked for it to be blocked,useing land mines dropped from the air, they where denied. the unit answers only to the president, so it makes a person wonder if bush really wanted to kill him?

"horse soldiers" doug stanton if your into military reading.
Oh geeze...I can just imagine what a wreck CBC would make of that story!! "Poor poor crazy guy never really wanted to hurt anybody and those evil nasty cops just had to ruin his life." Plus..."They could have just tasered him!"
I think I'm gonna puke.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=braggadoe;1277986]"descent into madness" is a great story,surprised it hasn't been made into a bad cbc movie.

. the unit answers only to the president, so it makes a person wonder if bush really wanted to kill him?

A man named Billy Waugh had ol' osama in the cross hairs once and "Slick Willy" said "No". Kinda makes you wonder?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
This is the first of Hemingway I've ever read. I'll definitely be reading more of him. All of a sudden, I have urges to bullfight in Spain and take an African hunting safari – both of which I was actually against before, so this speaks to his writing ability and influence, years later still so potent.
For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, To Have and Have Not and The Old Man and the Sea are my favorites from Hemingway.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:36 PM

I think that For Whom The Bell Tolls will be my next Hemingway.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Awesome, thank you!

Currently I am reading:

2. The Sun also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. Really, really digging it. It makes me want many things, but mostly, it makes me want Hemingway. I think I might have fallen in love with him, had I met him in Paris at the right time.

Just came across this Hemingway quote:

"To me heaven would be a big bull ring with me holding two barrera seats and a trout stream outside that no one else was allowed to fish in and two lovely houses in the town; one where I would have my wife and children and be monogamous and love them truly and well and the other where I would have my nine beautiful mistresses on nine different floors." - Ernest Hemingway

In the next life, he may have a room for you in his second house...
Old 01-29-2012, 05:57 AM

Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 AM

There are only two things I will not share, and unfortunately, that includes my lovers.

However, he may have been onto something with that idea for the afterlife. (although I'd be just fine with only eight floors, I'm sure. No need to get greedy.)

Seriously though, a beautiful quote. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Just came across this Hemingway quote:

"To me heaven would be a big bull ring with me holding two barrera seats and a trout stream outside that no one else was allowed to fish in and two lovely houses in the town; one where I would have my wife and children and be monogamous and love them truly and well and the other where I would have my nine beautiful mistresses on nine different floors." - Ernest Hemingway

In the next life, he may have a room for you in his second house...

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Anything by louis lamour,i have a colection of his works ,about 95% .my favorite being one called last of the breed,have probably read it at least 6 to 8 times.he has written everything from poetry ,war stories,westerns ,love and gangsters.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 AM

An autobiography that I found incredible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surely_...g,_Mr._Feynman!

Also, "A year in the merde" (a good novel)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Year_in_the_Merde

As for my fiction, it tends to be fluff... David Weber, Louis L'amour, John Ringo etc.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 AM

I'm re-reading Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. This will be about the thirty-fifth time through it though If I was washed up on a desert island, that would be my one book
Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM

While I do read the odd novel, and I do mean rare and I do mean odd, I surely love short fiction and always have.

Aldous Huxley, i can read his novels and thoroughly enjoy them, ...he is one of the few... and gone.

Short Fiction, good Short Fiction,,, That's where it's at.

since there are Hemmingway Fans,...if you are just looking for a couple hours to kills (read and reflect) take a look at Hills Like white Elephants.

If you can, read it an think about it before looking to the web for the metaphors within (not saying you won't ge them from simply reading it, but if you google the story, you'll probably get an anlysis before you find the actual story, and that ruins good lit for me)

just a thought...
Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Banned

Recent reads include:

Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith (very dark look into Stalin's ussr)

Three Day Road -Joseph Boyden

The Last Stand - Nathaniel Philbrick