Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 AM
The DragonSlayer's Avatar
The DragonSlayer The DragonSlayer is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: EXSHAW
Posts: 101
Default What 2 Do With Suckers

Throw 'em in the bushes Where U catch them. Let the Local animals eat 'em.
In My opinion, they are Rough fish that are certainly No good for the Sport Fishery. I'd continue this practice until the Biologists (they do know everything, don't they) say they are "endangered" and we gotta quit doin' it !!
.....or kill 'em and use them for pike bait.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Sundancefisher's Avatar
Sundancefisher Sundancefisher is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Perchville
Posts: 13,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DragonSlayer View Post
Throw 'em in the bushes Where U catch them. Let the Local animals eat 'em.
In My opinion, they are Rough fish that are certainly No good for the Sport Fishery. I'd continue this practice until the Biologists (they do know everything, don't they) say they are "endangered" and we gotta quit doin' it !!
.....or kill 'em and use them for pike bait.
Fact is those suckers spawn and have little baby fish. Those baby fish and fingerlings and 1 and 2 year olds feed the bigger fish. In pike, perch, walleye lakes...white suckers are an important food for the predators.

Throwing any fish into the bush is a waste and does not demonstrate true sportsman values.

Suckers occupy a different niche that the sport fish in a natural system. Killing them is a poor practice.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
pickrel pat pickrel pat is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Fact is those suckers spawn and have little baby fish. Those baby fish and fingerlings and 1 and 2 year olds feed the bigger fish. In pike, perch, walleye lakes...white suckers are an important food for the predators.

Throwing any fish into the bush is a waste and does not demonstrate true sportsman values.

Suckers occupy a different niche that the sport fish in a natural system. Killing them is a poor practice.
Well said. And a fatty fish to boot! Its the fatty/oily fish which allow our game fish to grow to mammoth size.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Daceminnow's Avatar
Daceminnow Daceminnow is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Those baby fish and fingerlings and 1 and 2 year olds feed the bigger fish. In pike, perch, walleye lakes...white suckers are an important food for the predators.
..................and in other lakes also. don't forget about the mighty and protected Bull Trout.


Dace
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 02-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Sundancefisher's Avatar
Sundancefisher Sundancefisher is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Perchville
Posts: 13,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
..................and in other lakes also. don't forget about the mighty and protected Bull Trout.


Dace
The suckers are the reason why the Bull Trout are as big as they are for sure. A prime food source.

In mountain rivers...mountain sucker young are targetted by bulls, cutts, rainbows and browns...and likely larger mountain whitefish.

Another way to address the statement " No good for the Sport Fishery. " is in a natural system... mother nature created them for a reason and they are integrated into the ecology of the stream or lake and the life cycle of the predators. Playing God in a natural ecosystem makes no sense...without having a biologist speak to it.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 02-10-2012, 05:37 PM
The DragonSlayer's Avatar
The DragonSlayer The DragonSlayer is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: EXSHAW
Posts: 101
Default 7 pages

WOW ! Seven pages of fighting, arguing, and name calling over suckers.

Hey. How about Canmore's bunnies? To kill, or not to kill, that is the question.
Be it more noble to put them on reserves or use them to feed the downtrodden..........blah, blah, blah, blah !!!
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 PM
WayneChristie's Avatar
WayneChristie WayneChristie is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DragonSlayer View Post
WOW ! Seven pages of fighting, arguing, and name calling over suckers.

Hey. How about Canmore's bunnies? To kill, or not to kill, that is the question.
Be it more noble to put them on reserves or use them to feed the downtrodden..........blah, blah, blah, blah !!!
Glad your opinion is the only right one . thanks for enlightening us
__________________
Rolling Hillbilly
2017 lake sturgeon tagging count
Caught 55
Tagged 56
Repeat captures 12
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 02-10-2012, 05:59 PM
harrydude harrydude is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,345
Default

Can we use the bunnies as bait.....

Suckers are part of the food chain so .... Hummmm

Bait
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 PM
WayneChristie's Avatar
WayneChristie WayneChristie is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
Can we use the bunnies as bait.....

Suckers are part of the food chain so .... Hummmm

Bait
awesome bait. take a couple to the derby and find out for yourself
__________________
Rolling Hillbilly
2017 lake sturgeon tagging count
Caught 55
Tagged 56
Repeat captures 12
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM
harrydude harrydude is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,345
Default

That's the plan....
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM
WayneChristie's Avatar
WayneChristie WayneChristie is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,977
Default

they certainly liked this one
__________________
Rolling Hillbilly
2017 lake sturgeon tagging count
Caught 55
Tagged 56
Repeat captures 12
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 02-10-2012, 06:25 PM
harrydude harrydude is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,345
Default

Looks like there is still bait life in him...

Do you just use a quick strike rig?
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 02-10-2012, 06:27 PM
WayneChristie's Avatar
WayneChristie WayneChristie is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,977
Default

had 3 trebles on a quickstrike in him, missed the first fish and caught the second, lost the bait down the hole , unfortunately,when I was unhooking the pike and my thumb. Have a much bigger one saved for Newell
__________________
Rolling Hillbilly
2017 lake sturgeon tagging count
Caught 55
Tagged 56
Repeat captures 12
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 PM
harrydude harrydude is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,345
Default

Good thing they were barbless .....
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 02-10-2012, 09:19 PM
pecker's Avatar
pecker pecker is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
The suckers are the reason why the Bull Trout are as big as they are for sure. A prime food source.

In mountain rivers...mountain sucker young are targetted by bulls, cutts, rainbows and browns...and likely larger mountain whitefish.

Another way to address the statement " No good for the Sport Fishery. " is in a natural system... mother nature created them for a reason and they are integrated into the ecology of the stream or lake and the life cycle of the predators. Playing God in a natural ecosystem makes no sense...without having a biologist speak to it.
in many of our x lakes you have only suckers & pike . what would you prefer. suckers are bottom feeders - a prime food source for many species -- leave them be . thank you .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Sundancefisher's Avatar
Sundancefisher Sundancefisher is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Perchville
Posts: 13,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker View Post
in many of our x lakes you have only suckers & pike . what would you prefer. suckers are bottom feeders - a prime food source for many species -- leave them be . thank you .
ummm...are you agreeing with me or not agreeing with me? Do you think suckers should not be dumped in the bush as I stated or the opposite?
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 AM
NSRfishing NSRfishing is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 770
Default

im getting ready for the NSR sucker run they are good fighters my favorite fish to catch after sturgeon
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 02-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Alberta Bigbore's Avatar
Alberta Bigbore Alberta Bigbore is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 16,664
Default

got to love suckers!! Cut them into steaks for catfish bait. !
__________________
Alberta Bigbore



Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 PM
pecker's Avatar
pecker pecker is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
ummm...are you agreeing with me or not agreeing with me? Do you think suckers should not be dumped in the bush as I stated or the opposite?
i'm saying the suckers should be left alone . in just a pike -sucker environment its the main source of food or the pike would cannibalize themselves.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 AM
The DragonSlayer's Avatar
The DragonSlayer The DragonSlayer is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: EXSHAW
Posts: 101
Default Let's All Agree

In a Closed system, do what U want with the damn suckers.
In an Open system, put them back.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.