Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Fishing Christina Lake ?

I'm having a hard time on some B.C. forums finding someone with information regarding the fishing at "Christina Lake". I'll be there for two weeks.

Does anyone here have experience fishing in that lake ? I'm looking for tips and suggestions as where to go and what to use. A lot of the fishing will be from the shore but I'll also be renting a boat for 3 or 4 days during our stay.

Any help would be appreciated !

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 PM

Lots of smallmouth bass and sunfish ( Pumpkinseed's )
Great fishing for the kids as lots of action.
I use a small jig or any perch hooks and fish below a slip bobber.
You'll need some sort of bait ( maggots or a small piece of worm works good )
Fishing off any of the docks is usually good early in the morning before the boats start tearing up the lake.
Also fishing from shore at any of the remote beaches along the lake is usually pretty good.
If you have a boat, take the family to any of those boat access beaches towards the north end of the lake , park and fish the drop offs from shore with the slip bobber rig while the family plays in the lake.
Oh... you can fish for kokanee and I've seen rainbows also , but have never fished for either.
I've seen lots of people troll around with Kokanee riggings as well.

Have fun !!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Lots of smallmouth bass and sunfish ( Pumpkinseed's )
Great fishing for the kids as lots of action.
I use a small jig or any perch hooks and fish below a slip bobber.
You'll need some sort of bait ( maggots or a small piece of worm works good )
Fishing off any of the docks is usually good early in the morning before the boats start tearing up the lake.
Also fishing from shore at any of the remote beaches along the lake is usually pretty good.
If you have a boat, take the family to any of those boat access beaches towards the north end of the lake , park and fish the drop offs from shore with the slip bobber rig while the family plays in the lake.
Oh... you can fish for kokanee and I've seen rainbows also , but have never fished for either.
I've seen lots of people troll around with Kokanee riggings as well.

Have fun !!
Sunfish !! Oh no !! LOL, those things used to "TORTURE ME" as a kid ! We used to use those things for air rifle practice (didn't know better at the time....) Damn little worm stealing fiends they are.... heh,heh...

Sounds like good fun for the entire family !

I was told their were large mouth bass in there as well. Have you caught any ? I'm itchin' to catch some Bass. I used to catch em' with spinners and surface lures back east. Nothing like watching a 3 or 4lb small mouth whack a Hulla Popper or Jitterbug and then break outta the water about 3 feet in the air ! What a rush.....

Thanks for the advice,

/FC...
Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM

Default Rainbows

Pretty clear lake ...For Rainbows and Kokanees . Troll slow with the smallest Flatfish ( perch or orange and black) F4 size I think. 8lb line tie line right to hook , no leader ..
Troll first thing in the AM and evening right till dark ..
You can put a split shot on the line 4ft.from the hook , lots of line out 50 yds or more , lots of turns
Vary the depth , in the evening get up shallow ,,,,

Note I cant figure out how to work my PM it must be shut off.

Oh Ya remember only single hooks in BC ..Barbless ... I like carlysle ,little longer shank
Youll catch bass on those flatfish ( Helin Flatfish at cabelas)

Last edited by Winch101; 07-02-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: change info ...
Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 PM

Never seen a largemouth.
I think the casting spinner's and things would work for the bass , but I prefer the bobber fishing for the kids.
If you go to the very north end of the lake where the creek comes in and wade out to the edge of the drop-off you'll get good action.
I've seen rainbows darting around there as well as all other things that swim in that lake.
Great swimming lake..... warm enough that even I can jump in without fear of a heart attack !!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Good Stuff !

Thanks for all the great info ! I'm going to give ALL those suggestions a try and with any luck I'll have a few photos to post... The boys are pumped for a good swimming AND fishing lake !

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 07-04-2008, 08:56 AM

That's great i'm going on the 12th of july to the 17th i'm going to flyfish. I think were renting a boat for one day or something. I heard it's really warm and clear!
brandon
Old 06-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Default Last year....

Last year, I tried fishing the many docks along the lake, with very little luck. There is however a south creek under a bridge that was ripe with small and big mouth bass. Surface fishing was best...

Will be back again this year in the fourth week of July...

Can't wait ...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 PM

I have fished Christina most of my life...

For Kokanne fishing we troll some small flashers with a wedding ring and maggots. 20-30 feet down going slow. For the Rainbow Trout we do the same but go deeper. Use a down rigger.

The Bass (large and small) are great fun with the kids. But the sunfish are more daring and you end up with more of them if using small tackle. Any dock or shallow area contains them.

South end has the creek flowing out. Good bass fishing right up till it meets with the big river. More trout near the end, by the river. The creek has some shallow spots. We usually drift from the bridge down to the river and then motor/walk our way back. Worth it everytime!

North end has some great boat access beaches/campsites. Many good fishing spots! Look for the little creeks if you are there in early July. By August they are dry. Head of the lake is also great. Saunders creek dumps in their (closed to creek fishing) and a huge ledge (6' drops down to 50') sits in front. Trolling across this is great for the trout and kokanne.

We are there every summer for 4-5 weeks. We try to get out fishing once a day for a couple of hours.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned

Cool

the lake also contains tench, a member of the carp family. a true bulldog of a fish, only available to anglers in spring. look for the out side edges of weeds. I use the lift method. use a largesh pencil float, slider rigged with just enough weight to sink the float. place a large splitshot 3" from the hook this will anchor your bait on the bottom. check out UK angling sites for more info. corn,cheese, big worms, dog food chunks crazy glued on the hook. in BC if you fish from a boat by your self you can fish two lines. this is a good way to catch something nearly unique in canada. while casting to bass.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 PM

I've caught lots of smaller bass (and squawfish) while casting flies to the shore with the fly rod from the float tube. For bigger bass, I used my full sinking line and some big streamers. Best smallmouth was 19"