Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Default Learning to skate ADVICE NEEDED

This fall my wife and I are taking on the responsibility of putting our 7 yr. old nephew into hockey for the first time. His parents think its "great" but are leaving most of it (including paying) up to us.

We've been taking him skating but I would like to get him some formal training before enrolling him in hockey school this summer. If he likes hockey school then we will spring for his fall registration. He is REALLY shy so we want to see how he likes formal training and we also want to make sure he can skate before joining a team.

Any suggestions? We live in Edmonton and prefer going somewhere on the South side if possible.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM

The parents are leaving it up to you, including paying? That sounds really wrong, but I don’t know your circumstance so it’s not for me to say.

I did not put my boys into hockey, we guided them to other sports, so I speak from a position of secondhand knowledge. Others with more direct experience can support or refute what I say here. I am assuming that this direction is something that you see as an ongoing effort. Not just a one time, one camp and you are done. If it is, then you probably shouldn’t start, get his hopes and enthusiasm up and then let him crash.

If you are taking on the task of putting this kid into hockey, be sure you are aware of all that means.

- The equipment cost is quite steep, and as a growing kid that just keeps coming year after year.
- The cost incurred from all the trips he will be making to play competitive hockey gets pretty steep, as does the time commitment on your part to ferry him around. I put my boys into Volleyball, thinking a pair of shorts and I’m done. Then they started doing tournaments and with all the travel costs, food, and hotel rooms it came to $3,000 for the year. I’m thinking hockey will be similar.
- You may face early mornings if ice time is tight in your area. As early as 5:00 am starts.
- If his parents are at least helping out with support then maybe you won’t have to attend all his practices/games, but someone should be. That is what drives our children’s enthusiasm.

If you are knowingly and willingly taking on these responsibilities for potentially years to come then you are a person to admire. I tip my hat and hope the child recognizes the effort you put out for him, a nephew, not even your own child.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:45 AM

Have you looked into the Timbits Hockey Program?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM

We have looked into and realize what type of commitment this will mean both financially and time wise. His parents are divorced and his Mom doesn't have the means to put him in hockey and his Dad....well, like I said, he thinks its "great" but doesn't seem to keen on helping or paying. His "Dad" like to sit around all day every day and watch tv but the kid does have supportive Grandparents.

His Mom has committed to driving to games/practices and so have we. Even his maternal Grandparents will help. Dad, I can't say?? We've already bought & borrowed him a full set of gear for this year so that he can play in the fall. We are doing a "test run" this year to see how he likes it. The reasoning being that so far he has not liked soccer or other team sports. His shyness, especially around strangers didn't help any.

If he likes hockey, we are prepared to continue this as long as he enjoys it. He came to his Mom saying he wanted to play and for him that was a big step. Now we are trying to do our part and get him a little better prepared before the season starts. I don't want him to be over whelmed or discouraged as some kids by age 8 (his age this season) will have 3 years of hockey under their belts already experience already.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM

There should be some spring break skating camps. Or try using outdoor rinks and such as much as possible.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM

Let me applaude you for doing this. It is a big responsibility, but the rewards are greater.

IMHO, every child should be given the opportunity to try sports.

Be careful of what program you put him into. There are plenty of 7 year olds that can skate circles around me. If he is put on a team with some of these guys, your nephew may feel very inadequate and not want to play anymore.

Spring and summer hockey programs are usually geared towards higher level players. A good old ordinary skating lesson will help. Or just you guys together at public skating will go far. Most important thing is to make it fun for him. Don't be afraid to fall in front of him so he learns it is OK to fall. Keep him padded up when skating so when he does fall, he doesn't get hurt. "This hurts= I dont want to do this."

Get some mini sticks and play together in the living room. That helps a lot in my house.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Good advice from shaggy. Timbits program and simply public skates will also help. And kudos for you and your wife for stepping up like that. You obviously have strong family ties. Nice to see in this day and age. I like that.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 PM

The city of Edmonton rec center rinks usually have shinny hockey once a week for smaller kids. Anyone can play and you don't need to suit up in full gear. You can try that and see if he even likes it. Once summer rolls around the University of Alberta will run weeklong camps for kids at all levels, that's probably your best bet.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

Well done!!!
Ok, now to watch the cash you are putting in:
Used equipment is great. Good used skates are easy to find as the kids outgrow them well before they wear out.
Keep your eyes out at the arena for posted info and check with the second hand sporting goods places.
Get a new helmet
Cheap wood sticks are better for the little guys. But get one with a smaller shaft.
Don't spend huge $$ on a bag. The only reason for wheels is if you are a GT who has his pads in the bag.
Make sure the equipment fits. Don't buy it so they can grow into it. Make sure it fits right to begin with.

At 7 years old, they might only do one out of town tournament. So be prepared for it, but costs can be cut if you share rooms, rides and pack lunches. If you have out of town games due to your league, car pool and pack snacks and a lunch.

Make sure he gets as much ice time as possible, public skating, outdoor shinny, ECT ECT.

Now as for the shyness. Warn him of the Locker room. It's loud, crazy and very busy. But you can make this the most fun of the experience. I would suggest always getting there early so he can pick his spot and perhaps not be so crowded. At that age, I am sure you will be more than welcome to stay in the locker room with the kids.
Perhaps being a coach would help? That way he would feel as comfortable as possible and you are there to help him get ready. As well, it will give the 2 of you something to talk about and be excited about between games and practises.

Don't talk about scoring goals, talk about the little things he can work on. Great passes get tons of recognition around here. Especially if he is struggling at first, focus on the positives and the funny stuff.

Don't ever pay for goals..

I always start each conversation off with kids the same way.. Did you make any great passes? Did you get any assists? Did you help your GT out by clearing a rebound?? Those are the things I like to get the kids excited about.

Play street hockey when ever you get the chance, encourage him to play with local kids. The neighbor hood kids will love him if you are out there playing with them all.

Encourage sleep overs, the better the friends he has on the team, the better the year. DO NOT CALL THEM "PLAY DATES".. Come on, be the cool Uncle. It's called hanging out.

Finally, don't ever make him cry at the Arena.. That's what the car ride home is for. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Seriously, this is a fantastic thing you are doing. I wish you the best of Luck and the best of times.

A great saying is this...
Hockey is for the kids, but the organisation is for the family's. Get involved whole hog!! You will never regret doing this. Your life is going to be enriched because of it.

Jamie
Old 03-06-2012, 02:24 PM

My son bryan started last year at 7 yearsold... he was supposed to be novice but he is allowed once to play a year back with organisation's permission. So he went into initiation for last 1/2 of last season (he started in january 2011)

This was invaluable, I have video from his first practice and again one year later... absolutely amazing. the coaches in the organisation were awesome and now I have 3 boys in this year and 4 next year. the best time to start a kid in hockey os as soon as he can stand on skates and take instruction from a coach, second best time to start is NOW!...

Also remember that he will most likely not NHL and don't expect him to... The fact he asked to go is a great first step. Get involved in the organisation as there are lots of older bigger only children whose parents are only too happy to donate or sell equipment for a margin of its cost just to help out.

Kidsport is another great organisation for helping out kids with financial need. Mom can access that!...

As for his shyness that will wear off as he makes friends on the team!...

BTW Bryan has been asked to try out for som higher level Atom teams, not because he is a goal scorer but because he has shown some defensive skill and has many assists. I love watching his team play. The skills he is learning in hockey will help him in life. he is learning how to be assertive without being aggressive, how to take a puck away and yet not get a penalty. Also how to work with the team and stick up for his goaltender. When he is on the ice at 8 years old he is all business, so much so i wonder if he is still having fun. Then he makes a great play and he pumps his fist in a personal celebration and I know he is having fun!...

Lots of great advice here and I can only say get out and play with him too!...

take him public skating first, then maybe enrol him in a skating program in the summer and then enrol him in hockey. Putting him into a hockey school off the bat that is not targeted as an introduction to hockey may be too overwhelming.

Get the equipment, help him put it on and let him wear it around the house....My 3 year old has some equipment now (someone heloed us out by giving us equipment so passed what i could down the line)... and he loves wearing it and playing street hockey with his brothers!...

A great piece of advice given to me once is that the funnest part of the game for boys is wearing the uniform!...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks for all the great replies.

We are definitely focusing on the fun aspect for him. I have no illusions of grooming a superstar. We have already bought him all the equipment required, except for a few pieces that were hand me downs from my brothers kids. He got a new helmet, gloves and Good set of second hand skates. We also found some good deals on kijji & picked up some second hand unused equipment.

I love the fact that he wears the gloves around the house all the time. and for the first week or so he wore them to bed too.

I want to enroll him in hockey school this summer but I'd like advise on a good learn to skate program in the Edmonton area, first. Right now I take him skating or to the rink at least once a week. It would be really nice if his step Dad or "Dad" would too, as we drive in from Beaumont and still have to find time to feed him, go skating and have him back in time for bed time. Makes it a little tough. lol He is already progressing but once a week on skates makes for slow progress. That's why formal skating lessons would be a bonus.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 PM

I started with the pond hockey league. Geared him up at Canadian Tire with enough equipment to keep him safe for relatively cheap. It is a fun only league.

The next year I didn't push him to go and he never mentioned it. He still likes to go to the outdoor rink with his buddies but didn't catch the competitive bug of the game.

I think people push a little hard to get kids to go one way or the other without a lot of feed back. The only thing I told my kids was they had to decide one way or the other as I can't afford to do everything.

I may have some gear if you need depending on what size the kid is.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Finding a learn to skate program in Edmonton is going to be tough if you want to put him into something right away. The Canskate programs are for beginners and you can then move up to the powerskating programs. The canskates are already midway through the term. You're probably better off just taking him to the rink yourselves and then signing up for a beginner hockey camp in summer.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Our town, and several in this area have rec hockey programs, outside of minor hockey. Less ice time, but cheaper, less travel and more relaxed atmosphere.

Can't help you with a hockey school in Edmonton.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Funteam alberta is a great alternative for kids that are just "finding out" if hockey is a fit for them.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:06 PM

Serdachny's Edge, Steve Serdachny (he has many capable instructors under him)
He can provide a great start, and has programs the kid can keep advancing through right through his draft year. (ha)

Just get him a good start, and next winter, get out on the neighborhood rinks with other kids as much as possible, as well as the stuff guys have mentioned above.

Check out Serdachny though either way.

Most importantly, make sure he has fun, and doesnt get in over his head too early. never too late to start, and it's a sport he can play for the next 50-60 years!
Good for you guys and good luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:08 PM

I'm not from edmonton so can't recomend a program there. I will tell you that playing hockey for most of my life and coaching hockey ( I coached a novice team for 2 years) that nothing will help his skating more than a good power skating program. Try and find one taught by a figure skater and the progress will be quick. The younger they are the quicker they seem to progress.Good on you and good luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM

Good for you on getting him to play. I asked every year when I was younger to play hockey and my parents didn't have the time or money. Lots of programs out there, only one coming to mind is timbits hockey. For 4-8 year olds I believe.. And they focus on the fun not the winning.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Default New Hockey player

Zuludog, it's great to see your commit to your nephews pick of sports, HOCKEY:sHa_shake As said earlier any chance to get out skating will help his confidence with his friends. If he enjoys the hardships of learning to skate dig deep into your pocket. I wouldn't put my boys into hockey school until their first year of PeeWee(11-12 yrs) and saved a lot of cash, at a young age Hockey schools are not for the timid. The Canskate program is good but if he really wants to do this, a Figure Skating coach is better Spent about 10,000.00 a year for both boys,(all in),ten years combined, it was tough, but would do it over again. They will or us never forget the good times, bad times and friends that we have made along the way. Just don't forget to let him choose what level of hockey he wants to play, top notch or rec, either way it's all good
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM

Beat me to it. Figure skating, that's the ticket.I'm 40 years old and remember when my father put me into figure skating. I was upset to say the least. I was seven at the time. I started skating at four or five with an old chair on a pond we had on out farm.So I could skate pretty well by seven. It wasn't common to put your kid into a girls sport, but my old man being the guy he was thought why not, it's sure as heck couldn't hurt.
I tell you I figure skated (with my hockey skates on) until I was 12. I could do it in the off season and had plenty of ice time all year. I played defence and man could I skate. My feet were like magic. I could move on the ice backwards as well as most could forward. I could match stride for stride with some of the best forwards. I eventually made it to junior C, but lost the vision in one of my eyes and that ended it for me. I firmly believe that the figure skating is the way to go and if it weren't for that I don't think I would have made it on skill alone.
Just my $.02

Tullfan
Old 03-06-2012, 08:52 PM

We put both my boys in hockey this year, the older one is 9 and went into first year atom. The younger one is 5 and went into initiation.We put both boys into powerskating also. What an unbelievable season! In November the older boy could skate a little and the younger one couldn't skate at all, now you would never believe it. Last sunday my older boy stopped a breakaway just by outskating the other kid, I was so proud I almost cried(don't know what I will do when he scores his first goal). We live in a small town so the boys play with their school buddies, so that helps alot. I even laced them up at practices, haven't been on skates for years and it showed. My little guy wants to be a goalie in the worst way but I told him he has to learn to skate better first. Hockey is the most awesome experiance, I can't believe we waited this long to start. I think it is awesome what you are doing for your nephew and if I didn't have the little guy playing I would hand down my older boy's equipment to you. I know in the off season I'm going to take the coaching course and the referee course so I can be even more involved.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Default Serdachny

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Serdachny's Edge, Steve Serdachny (he has many capable instructors under him)
He can provide a great start, and has programs the kid can keep advancing through right through his draft year. (ha)

Just get him a good start, and next winter, get out on the neighborhood rinks with other kids as much as possible, as well as the stuff guys have mentioned above.

Check out Serdachny though either way.

Most importantly, make sure he has fun, and doesnt get in over his head too early. never too late to start, and it's a sport he can play for the next 50-60 years!
Good for you guys and good luck!
I've heard great things about Serdachny but I think he's ready for it yet.
Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanks again for all the great replies, PM's and advice. My wife and I are looking forward to helping our nephew get into hockey. I think this will have a positive impact on him and his family.
Zuludog
Old 03-07-2012, 02:46 PM

I played hockey from age 4 up through junior A. From age 4 to my last year of junior I was working with power skating instructors. Figure skaters are good if you want to learn to skate backwards but, they don't understand the mechanics of a good forward stride.

Get him into a good power skating program, they usually have these running in tandem with hockey schools throughout the summer. So keep an eye out for them. Black elk is one that comes to mind.

Also, make sure he has fun! That's all that matters.