Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Default Mayan Rivierra

Hey everyone, so I'm going to Mayan Rivierra down in Mexico for two weeks next month and I'm staying at the Baja principe. I feel like I may get bored while I'm there so maybe I should bring my fly gear. I have an 8wgt 9ft rod with a large arbor reel Im gonna go put on more backing and some salt line but I'm wondering if it's worth bringing it I don't want to use a guide I think I'll just go out on the beach and do it myself and hopefully catch something. So my main questions are is it worth it? Is my Rod gonna be big enough for shore fishing? and what type of line and how much backing should I get and types of leaders and flies etc..? Also what kind of fish could I catch from shore?

Any advice and personal experiences would be awesome thanks!.

Last edited by uplander; 02-26-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Default Mayan riviera

I stayed at the grand palladium last year and we had huge jacks and one big &&& barracuda hanging close to shore around the reef all the time plus all the trigger fish not 50 yards out there were hundreds of fish on the little reefs some kind of snapper looking one pilot fish needle fish anyways you get the point there is a lot of fish not just little ones either . I'm also going to the barcelo maya in a couple weeks and thinking of bring my rod as well. Good luck. Oh if it's your first time try the jungle maya tour great zip lining and cave snorkeling and snorkeling in port au moreles is awesome as well as what you should have right out in front of your resort.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Default Mayan Riviera

I'm heading there for a week the start of April. Have done some research on line. Found out that you don't need a liecence to fish from the beach, some hotels will not let you fish from thier beach ( I am thinking if I get up early enough I should get away with it). Also I went on goggle earth and it looks like the strech of beach next to the hotel I'm staying at has not been built on yet. I might even rent a car and head down towards Tulum where the flats fishing is best. Maybe we should pm each other and see if we any of are hotels are close enough to each other and if our vacation times overlap, we could arange to rent are car and try and hit some of the good spots. I will staying at the Sandos carcol eco resort. Be nice to have someone to go fishing with, would put my wife's mind at ease i'm sure.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM

I have stayed near your hotel I think....if further south of you is a place called Copa Cabana there is a dead end beach there...with a rocky structure that comes out. You could likely fish there without bugging anyone, was snorkeling there and came face to face LITERALLY with a large Cuda.....if its the place I am thinking it is easy walking distance south down the beach from your hotel.

LC
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I'm heading there for a week the start of April. Have done some research on line. Found out that you don't need a liecence to fish from the beach, some hotels will not let you fish from thier beach ( I am thinking if I get up early enough I should get away with it). Also I went on goggle earth and it looks like the strech of beach next to the hotel I'm staying at has not been built on yet. I might even rent a car and head down towards Tulum where the flats fishing is best. Maybe we should pm each other and see if we any of are hotels are close enough to each other and if our vacation times overlap, we could arange to rent are car and try and hit some of the good spots. I will staying at the Sandos carcol eco resort. Be nice to have someone to go fishing with, would put my wife's mind at ease i'm sure.
Although that offer sounds great I'll be there from march 17th to April 1 so I don't know if we will overlap but ya it would be nice to have company down there.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Banned

Just for info.....I read somewhere that you couldn't fish within a certain distance of swimming areas.

I'm headed to Puerto Morelos in April and I'll be taking a telescopic rod to mess around with. If I was a flyfisher I'd be researching Bonefish. I hear that they are pretty exciting to fish. GL and have fun!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:25 PM

Ya so I've decided I will bring my fly gear now just gotta figure out what type of line!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 PM

Be sure to let us know how you guys make out. Looking at heading down to the Mayan next winter. Good luck and take some pics of what you catch.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

http://www.angleradventures.com/bahwtb.html
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM

I'm am leaving April 1. I will have to do some quick scoping out while I am there as I'm only there for a week. Also bought my son a 4 piece spining rod.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 PM

Was there 3 weeks ago. There was a fellow from wisconson fishing the Mangroves at El Cid in Puerto Morelos. Went to visit him and he caught some fish that looked like Bluegills on a crankbait. He also caught a small Peacock bass in the mangroves. Beware of small Crocs. There was a few that followed his lures. The guy has been going there for 5 years and seemed to know what to use and where to fish.

Saw him the next day in the Marina. He had a small Barracuda and some needle nose fish that he caught. Next time I will be bringing my rod.

Did a 1/2 day with the Charter out of El Cid. Caught some nice Blue Fin Tuna, Bonito, and something called a Banana fish. It looked like a Banana.

Have fun and good luck.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter77 View Post
Was there 3 weeks ago. There was a fellow from wisconson fishing the Mangroves at El Cid in Puerto Morelos. Went to visit him and he caught some fish that looked like Bluegills on a crankbait. He also caught a small Peacock bass in the mangroves. Beware of small Crocs. There was a few that followed his lures. The guy has been going there for 5 years and seemed to know what to use and where to fish.

Saw him the next day in the Marina. He had a small Barracuda and some needle nose fish that he caught. Next time I will be bringing my rod.

Did a 1/2 day with the Charter out of El Cid. Caught some nice Blue Fin Tuna, Bonito, and something called a Banana fish. It looked like a Banana.

Have fun and good luck.
I'm going to be staying just up the beach at the Secrets Silversands. I heard about the crocs so I never thought about fishing the mangroves.....lol. I plan on fishing the reef either from a small pier or from a kayak. I have a 6 hour charter booked with an outfit out of the El Cid Marina.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Default Mayan Rivierra Bahia

Are you staying at the Coba Akumal or Tullum?
There is a Laggon just South of the resort which has a small population of Bonefish. However I have mostly caught Needle Fish Chrevel, Seierra ( Type of Mackeral) some cuddas and big ones ( I swam with a 40 lb for about 1/2 hr) If you continue further south there are 2 more smaller bays which hold some fish also. Check with resort staff and they may or maynot let you fish directly on the beach to the North of the peir/dock for Bones. The Mexican rule for fishing NO fishing within 250 meters of swimmers. I just got back from the Maya and fishing was a little slow but did not have to drill for them

Remember you will need tropical fly line our cold water line will wilt and not cast well at all. I use RIO Bone fish line 8 wf floating and at least 200 yds of backing if you have a capacity issue get some 30 lb gel spun backing

let me know if this helps
good luck and fun
Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 AM

You might want to reconsider not going with a guide. They can see the fish. You likely can't. Until at least the third or fourth day in.
You have to spot and stalk the fish. Blind casting doesn't work.
A run down to Punta Allen and a day out on the flats and mangroves for bones is an experience you may regret missing. Sure beats zip-lining.
I took my partner out for a day and she really enjoyed it too even though she didn't fish. It's absolutely beautiful and totally different country out past the Tres Marias at the bottom end of Ascension Bay. The guides are mayans not Mexicans and believe me there's a world of difference. Great guys.
They run 23 foot pangas and there's a chico in the boat to keep her company when you're out wading.
The drive down through the jungle south of Tullum is a great experience too.
And there are a couple of great little beach restaurants that serve not bad sea food.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:56 AM

That sounds like a real good time. Im taking my family down there at the end of this month. My 8 year old son is a fishing fanatic and would love that!! Could you PM me more details on where to go or who to contact?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDC View Post
Are you staying at the Coba Akumal or Tullum?
There is a Laggon just South of the resort which has a small population of Bonefish. However I have mostly caught Needle Fish Chrevel, Seierra ( Type of Mackeral) some cuddas and big ones ( I swam with a 40 lb for about 1/2 hr) If you continue further south there are 2 more smaller bays which hold some fish also. Check with resort staff and they may or maynot let you fish directly on the beach to the North of the peir/dock for Bones. The Mexican rule for fishing NO fishing within 250 meters of swimmers. I just got back from the Maya and fishing was a little slow but did not have to drill for them

Remember you will need tropical fly line our cold water line will wilt and not cast well at all. I use RIO Bone fish line 8 wf floating and at least 200 yds of backing if you have a capacity issue get some 30 lb gel spun backing

let me know if this helps
good luck and fun
Ya in at akumal and I picked up all the line and flys and leaders etc... already. There's a bay just down the beach from our resort they said it's got bones and permit and Cuda that hang about so I'm excited to just go at night or in the morning and have some fun.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 AM

tons of fish around any structure there.... docks, the reef, though the reef isn't what it used to be due to hurricane damage.

No idea what the fishing laws are there though.

Enjoy the sea turtles at Akumal! you can swim with them 30 yards off the beach. You might want to make sure you can fish around there though. With the turtles all about there may be some restrictions, an eco zone, etc.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm going to be staying just up the beach at the Secrets Silversands. I heard about the crocs so I never thought about fishing the mangroves.....lol. I plan on fishing the reef either from a small pier or from a kayak. I have a 6 hour charter booked with an outfit out of the El Cid Marina.
Stayed at Secrets last May and it was very nice. You will like the resort. The food was fantastic. I took a charter out of El Cid and we did good. The young couple got sick so we left a little early. I caught the sail fish and 2 Cuda's. I'm on the left, didn't want any part of being near the head. These fish are crazy strong

Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
Stayed at Secrets last May and it was very nice. You will like the resort. The food was fantastic. I took a charter out of El Cid and we did good. The young couple got sick so we left a little early. I caught the sail fish and 2 Cuda's. I'm on the left, didn't want any part of being near the head. These fish are crazy strong

Great photo!

It's starting to get close to going but still a month. I'm going to be looking for one or two fellas to join us fishing to cut the costs of the charter. We ran around looking for people in the Bahamas and two good ol boys from Tennessee joined us......great guys! This time I'm going to post to the Silversands Facebook page and let technology do the work.