Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 PM

Default Nakamun done for the season?

Well boys,

I think Nak is done for the season!!! Went out today for a perch feed and only kept 2! I think a partial winterkill is coming! I hope its not too bad this year.

I saw 200 plus perch today and only iced 3. Caught 3 more TINY jack and almost all fish were in the top half of the water column! Most were just under the ice acting very lethargic and not interested in food at all. They were huffing and puffing their gills much harder than normal as well. A sure sign of low oxygen levels. From the several people I talked to, nobody caught anything at all.

I tried out in deeper water as well and as soon as I set up my tent and dropped my hook, I saw a small jack six inches under the ice in 22 feet of water!

Nice to see several 10 plus inch perch still around though! Hopefully they make it for next winter!

Anyone else having struggles at Nak?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Pitched a skunk on Wednesday. Nobody there either.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Default Nak

I've never been there is there any particular place one should try for perch??
Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM

Im taking a buddy out there for his first ice fishing experience tomorrow.
He is on call this weekend so we can go to far out of the city.
hopefully we can still get into some perch for him.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSTONE1 View Post
Well boys,

I think Nak is done for the season!!! Went out today for a perch feed and only kept 2! I think a partial winterkill is coming! I hope its not too bad this year.

I saw 200 plus perch today and only iced 3. Caught 3 more TINY jack and almost all fish were in the top half of the water column! Most were just under the ice acting very lethargic and not interested in food at all. They were huffing and puffing their gills much harder than normal as well. A sure sign of low oxygen levels. From the several people I talked to, nobody caught anything at all.

I tried out in deeper water as well and as soon as I set up my tent and dropped my hook, I saw a small jack six inches under the ice in 22 feet of water!

Nice to see several 10 plus inch perch still around though! Hopefully they make it for next winter!

Anyone else having struggles at Nak?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCovin View Post
I've never been there is there any particular place one should try for perch??
From what was originally posted.... don't bother? But if you want to give it a shot, the north side has done well for me, and a local told me fishing around the island has been productive.

Same thing happened last year, by March the fish were all in the upper part of the water column, you could hit them on the head with a jig and they would barely react. They apparently pulled through just fine though . That said, a partial winterkill wouldn't hurt this lake.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Thumbs up

I was at Nakamun on Wednesday and caught around 80 perch kept 14. All were around 10in that I kept. Had to move around a bit but once I found them it was non stop. Fished in 10-15 feet of water. The perch are only 2 feet under the ice.