Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Default New to Fishing in the Edmonton area

I realize that this thread may be a somewhat redundant, however I am very new to fishing. Just bought my first rod and real last summer, as something to do when at the cottage in MB. I would really appreciate a little advice and help regarding where I could fish in the Edmonton/St.Albert area (from shore) where I can go with my daughter (6yrs old) and have a reasonable chance of some success. I don't expect anyone to share with me the location of their secret never miss, greatest fishing spot ever, but some general information would be fantastic or the location of the second best spot ever. On a second note, if anyone out there knows where I might be able to go to learn about technique, tackle, etc. that would also be a great help.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Welcome
this question has been asked many times so don't be offended by few replies, there is a wealth of info here and many great posts. The search function is your friend. Search by the type of fish and area or lake and the info goes a long way back

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...edmonton+trout

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...edmonton+trout
Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Here's a link for you.

http://flyfish-edmonton.webs.com/edmontonlakes.htm
Old 03-25-2012, 11:05 AM

Go to one of the 3 local The Fishin Hole stores. Those guys and gals have lots of knowledge and will share with you techniques and products that will help you best.

Living in st albert you have a few close choices, morrinville res, cardiff and a few to the west as you'll see in docs link. Also the sturgeon river and nsr.

There's a start. Do some searching on here and explore.njust be careful with your 6 year old on the shores of the nsr.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the information thus far, and yes there is lots of info within the forum. I appreciate all the info on the trout lakes, are they all fishable from shore, and can someone have a reasonable expectation of success if they are not using a fly rod? There is lots of talk regarding fishing from the whitemud creek exit into NSR, I know where that is and it is easy to access, are there any other accessible spots on the west side of downtown?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Banned

It's worth it to pick up a basic inflatable boat, that'll give you alot more options. I still have/use my small coleman that I bought for $100, multi bladder and never had an issue. Lots of room for one adult and a child.

Lots of good info on the forum like others said. Doc's link is priceless info.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 PM

You could also try star lake, chickakoo, east pit and saur lake. All three are fairly decent trout lakes. Hope this helps.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Tags
edmonton, north saskatchewan river, nsr, spots