Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 10:34 PM

Default Thumb/back tension releases

I wanted to give this style a try so I recently bought a Tru-Ball ST360X thumb style release. I have done a lot of research on the techniques and it does definitely take some getting used to compared to the finger/trigger style. The technique I am currently trying to master is transferring the tension on the fingers. By relaxing them it naturally rolls the base of the thumb into the trigger so you are not punching it.

Just wanted to hear opinions from guys if they are using these thumb releases and incorporating back tension "For Hunting" other than target shooting.

I am very happy with my results with the release at 20-30 yards. I know it's going to take a while to get used to the technique. If I had to go hunting tomorrow I know I would not have the confidence to be able to trigger the release properly in a situation where speed is a factor.

Lookin to hear feedback from some of you out there that have been hunting with these releases for some time.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 PM

I practice with a truball trutension and hunt with a scott sabertooth caliper release...the practice with the bt release forces me into good shooting habits, but i still have the control i want when im hunting by using the scott wriststrap release...

i do find the hand held releases more comfortable to shoot, but havnt found one im willing to hunt with yet...
Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 PM

I also find the handheld more comfortable. I find it much easier to get a consistent anchor point. By practicing with the thumb release and switching back and forth to my spot hogg wiseguy, it has considerably helped me with punching the trigger with a wrist strap release.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 PM

Have you ever tried to release the wrist style with back tension? This is how I do it after being shown how by a former national 3-d champion
Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 PM

For the last few months I've been working on wrapping my finger around the trigger on my spot hogg wiseguy and pulling more to get away from punching the trigger.