Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Default shooting for groups/long targets

when at the bench(testing handloads/sighting in) and shooting steel/paper at long range how do you pros hold your rifle.

i seem to like laying in prone or sitting at table with my front hand under the stock(missionary style shooting),with an adjustable front rest and glorified sandbag at rear.

when shooting at my steel at 400-1000 i like to have my arms crossed9tactical type shooting) , thats also because i use my bi pod and not my rests. my hand under the butt stock is my stabilizer/adjustment.

which do you guys like to do? tactical,missionary or hand on top of the scope pushing down( my least fav but still feels good)? for accuracy? and mainly at bench trying to put 5 in 1?thanx for your input.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:15 PM

Im not a pro, but I shoot off a bipod prone and bench with reasonable results. I use two rear bags, one for the height depending on shooting position and angle to the target, and the second a squeeze bag full of #9 lead shot. Ill use a towel/blanket for my trigger hand elbow/fore arm if its not supported comfortably. I lay on the bench, my left hand on the squeeze bag and thumb and forefinger control the stock. I use my head for weight and nothing else. It gives me a solid platform, and if my chest stays off the edge of the bench it minimizes felt heartbeat. Prone I prefer both feet straight behind me, but its hard on the guts with a big recoil. I bend my right knee to relieve pressure on my diaphram if It bothers me, it also hlps with heartbeat, getting part of your body off the ground, I find it less stable for myself. Guys with bigger bellies I think prefer the knee bent. Bench its left foot forward, leg straight, right foot to the side knee bents and preferably jambed into the bench.

A really nice adjustable front rest is better for me than a bag or bipod, but they are pricey. I borrowed one, it was only benificial (for me) with the wide forestock on my target gun, my monte carlo tapered style hunting rifle rolled around to much, and I actually prefered a pack/sand bag.

I have never had good results holding the front of my rifle off a rest of any kind. I tend to torque the rifle off camber, use inconsistent pressure changing poa, and I cannot reset or follow through as well. But again thats me. I have recently been learning to shoot with a sling, with mixed results.

One of the real marksmen here can probably give you a better answer. One thing to keep in mind is the rules for specific diciplines of shooting, if competition is something you might like to do.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 PM

I'm no pro but with an adjustable front rest, the rock, and a rabbit ear bag at the rear I can get a solid rest with zero heartbeat to worry about. Right hand on stock and trigger and left on rear bag to make slight height adjustments by squeezing the rear bag.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM

Same set- up as NoKlu but I hold with my pointer finger on top of the stock just behind the tang to make the fine adjustment.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 PM

I use the standard bench rest style whether I am shooting a rimfire at fity yards or one of my long range rifles at 1K+.

Front rest, and rear bag.
Right hand comfortably on the grip , left hand squeezing the rear bag for elevation fine tuning, I very rarely shoot free recoil....
Cat
Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 AM

good stuff,thanx guys. i think yesterday the combination of coffee, a shaky table and shimmering in the air put me off my game yesterday, gonna crank some more H-loads right now then get shooting again in the prone on the grass. ill try out both styles again see which one i like again,maybe ive changed.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I use the standard bench rest style whether I am shooting a rimfire at fity yards or one of my long range rifles at 1K+.

Front rest, and rear bag.
Right hand comfortably on the grip , left hand squeezing the rear bag for elevation fine tuning, I very rarely shoot free recoil....
Cat
X2
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:20 AM

I'm not half the shooter some of these guys are, but I never drink coffee if I'm going to the range trying to tune or get information from my session. And I LOVES my coffee. . . .
Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Don't sweat the long stuff...if it ain't on target at 100M, it is not going to get better out further...unless helped by the wind.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 PM

I drink lots of coffee; before, during, and after matches. If I ever need to, I can give up the coffee and pick up a couple of points!
My style varies depending on the rifle I'm shooting. The 6 BR "F" class rifle, I can shoot "free". The 308's prefer being held. I hold the hunting rifles as if I was in the field. In other words, my hand is under the forearm and I'm gripping the rifle as I will in the field.
Occasionally, I will use my off hand (in my case this is my right hand) to hold the butt and adjust aim. Again, it depends on the rifle and how it seems to shoot best. Leeper.