Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you wear your Life Jacket while in your boat on the water ?
Yes , all the time 98 34.27%
Yes , Only When moving 61 21.33%
No 104 36.36%
No , but only when theres kids in the boat 17 5.94%
No but make my passengers wear them 3 1.05%
I dont have them at all . 3 1.05%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 PM

if the boat is on water, everyone has a inflatable pfd on. Dont like the rules you can always fish from shore. You can tell me your a Olympic swimmer all you want it wont change my mind.

just as important there is always 2 Scotty life lines in the boat in the ready.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Only when I need to, I use my judgement.
x2 Yeah, I pretty much try to use common sense. Then again, I don't wear goggles like I should when I weed-eat or cut wood on the mitre saw like I should either. I wouldn't fault anyone for utilizing any protective equipment fulltime though......you can't go wrong taking extra precautions. My generation was brought up riding bikes without helmets, going outside without sunscreen, etc, etc, etc. It's a wonder that we've lived this long anyway.

I voted no but sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.....it just depends on the situation.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I saw those but cannot find them , do you know who carrys them ? I was thinking about attaching one to my life Jackets and Kill switch lanyard .
I usually get my stuff from Diversworld in Halifax.

http://www.diversworld.ca/index.php?...emart&Itemid=1
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post
I usually get my stuff from Diversworld in Halifax.

http://www.diversworld.ca/index.php?...emart&Itemid=1
Ive seen those around but cant think of where , Probably Cabelas , maybe Bass pro .
Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 AM

In the past the life jackets were so uncomfortable I never wore one, my wife bought me one that inflates as soon as it goes 4" under the water,

The life jacket is so comfortable you don't know you have it on, several times I have got home and walked in the house with it still on

I fish on Okanagan Lake, a high percentage of people who fall out of their boats and drown in the lake are never found, wearing a life jacket ensures if you do drown at least they will find your body
Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 PM

Default Life Jackets

Spent 18 years in N.W Ont, and always had to wear one of those bulky things as a kid Guided fishermen for 5 years at my uncles fishing camp and the largest % of drownings were from people not wearing a PDF of some kind, not because they could not swim but because in a moving boat that has capsized and they fell out and were disoriented and automatically swam the wrong way(to the bottom). Moving boats at speed or rough water will now wear a life jacket,at anchor or calm evening trolling not likely, but always have enough handy just in case, I`m in South AB.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:27 PM

I once learned the hard way about dumping a canoe with out a life jacket on. I had a life jacket in the canoe as well as my fishing rod, tackle box and cooler.
It was a perfectly calm day and I just managed to shift my bodyweight the wrong way and bloop. I was fortunately only in 6 feet of water and am good in the water. I managed to get my breath and bearings and was able to drag the canoe to the shallows and right it. The anchor had also anchored itself so that I had to pull it up to the upside down canoe before I could go anywhere.

The lessons I learnt that day were :

1. that a life jacket is just that. Also extremely hard to put on when in the water. Had the water been colder, the time I spent in the water would have got me.

2. secure your load, be it fishing gear, or cameras or coolers. I lost my fishing rod and tackle box. Somewhere in the area on the bottom of the lake is a rod and tackle box with 500 dollars worth of hooks in it.

3. In a canoe, the water does not have to be rough and wavy to capsize your way into the reality of a watery dilemma.

4. I wear glasses and somehow they did not fall off. I am still able to see without them but I now realise that a person that does lose their eyeglasses from capsizing a boat has a bigger handicap of loss of vision. Try finding the shore then.

5. I thought I knew it all about being safe and competent in the water, but the lake taught me the biggest lesson in logical thinking..... WEAR YOUR PDF ALWAYS.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 AM

I SOMETIMES wear life jackets and I know I should ALWAYS wear one.

Here are the places I wear lifejackets:

Any water sports
Off shore West Coast
Big Water - Arrow Lake BC, Athapap MB, Slave Lake AB, Lac LaRonge SK etc
Cold water - Early Spring Late Fall
Rough Water

When I don't wear a PFD:

Anchored
Trolling calm water

I work with a guy that used to work for Fish & Wildlife, according to him most drowning victims are male and usually found with their pants un zipped. It makes sense if you slip and whack your head while taking a wiz off the back of the boat you are in big trouble.