Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Default Clear Lake Limits

Was interested to see the new regulation for Clear Lake down south . 1 pike over 100cm.
I have been fishing there over 20 years. Only ever seen a few that size.

Should help it recover.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 AM

My dad and I have seen a few monsters out of there, we have let most of them go though. The fishing pressure will die down alot once people realize they cant keep lots of pike out of there. Im curious if the smaller fish will have a population boom though.. its going to be an interesting next few years there.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Banned

Should be one fish under 20", None over. Let them grow without the chance of some guy taking a big spawner.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 AM

The pike will eventually stunt in growth. Just like the perch.

Millions of little pike eating themselves out of house and home. And in such a small shallow system. They will cannibalize themselves.

You have to take fish.

They have to take the little ones. There will always be more than a few from the millions of little ones to take over the larger fishes place in the few years they grow that big.

But oh no, its a good thing they are doing, lol.

Stunted like chestermere.

3 under 25" and the ones that make it past that cull will be monsters with less competition. I would even say 3 under 25" and one over a hundred.

Its just hillarious how they just dont get it. And it was taught to them in school with hundreds of canadian examples. What makes alberta so different?

I give these reg changes for Clear Lake, a "FAIL" with a splash of future failure thrown in, just for kicks.

STEELHEAD
Old 05-28-2012, 07:44 AM

How did lakes "manage" on their own before humans were around to "manage" them?

LC
Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 AM

This one didnt. it was man made.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 AM

like hope lake two years ago you could get 40 inchers biting every trip word got out limit was three and it got cleaned out and now the big girls are gone and the limits been changed to one over 40 or under 25 and believe me what few few fish are left are definately under none in tgat slot limit in a looooong time this place is doomed espescialy with the campsite doubling in size its quite sad
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM

Part of the appeal of Badger was because it is so weedy it keeps the wakeboarder population down.
The day I was at Badger last was Mothers Day. Talked to a young camper from Nanton that said that the previous evening Fish and Wildlife came down to the dock. The young chap was the only one on the dock that did NOT get fined for keeping undersize fish. Apparently 4 tickets issued on the dock that evening.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 AM

as many people have said in previous threads.... you whine and complain about the regs, but never showed up for meetings to express your concerns... its like voting, sit down and shut it if you're not going to attempt to make a difference.

If we weren't around, nature would sort the lake out on her own... this isn't much different... those 100cm+ hens probably wouldn't last much longer in a lake like that anyways.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 AM

Personally, I think right now the one fish over 100 is a good idea, it will eliminate alot of the fishing pressure giving the fish a chance to recover. I think though that in two or three years a new limit should be set, something like 2 fish under 50 and one over 100. Or something close to that. the problem most of the lakes in Alberta have is, they realize there is a problem, change the regs, then dont look at it for 20 years. If they closely monitored the lakes and changed it every few years or even 5 I think they would limit the problems that are being created. Course this would take a huge amount of work and will probably never get done, just my opinion on a best case scenario.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
How did lakes "manage" on their own before humans were around to "manage" them?

LC
X2

I've spoken to the powers who lobbied for these regulations. Although uncommon, Clear is actually monitored annually and is subject to change on an annual basis. So I think it's unfair to critique the new regs until you see results.

IMO, it's hard to 'stunt' pike. They just eat each other and grow bigger. The strongest survive. And contrary to popular belief, while the big old girls may still spawn, their productivity is reduced. After 3 years of age is when pike reproduce most effectively.

And for all of you who want to see a trophy pike fishery down south like Wab, your wish may have just come true. Few will actually keep a fish over 100cm but that's their perogative.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 PM

many things were taken into consideration before this reg change

1 very interesting fact was that 2 F@W officers are very active fisherman on this body of water and shared a good history of the lake.

i hope it improves the fishery
Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
many things were taken into consideration before this reg change

1 very interesting fact was that 2 F@W officers are very active fisherman on this body of water and shared a good history of the lake.

i hope it improves the fishery
That seems a little self -serving.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:44 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Self serving towards creating a fishery with larger fish?

Damn them.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post

HUH???????????????????????????????????....... there is no hope

Call RAP
Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 PM

this is exactly what this lake needs, used to be one of the best pike fisheries out there, now its just a big body of water with few fish,give it a few years to recover and then look at limits sizes again.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM

in a healthy balanced fishery in Southern AB

Pike reach 100cm in 14 years

A female will typically have her first spawn at age 5

She may have 10 spawning events up to achieving 100cm in size

Srd does not kill trophy sized Pike for exmination therefore aging is difficult. They require the cleithrum to age the fish.

In the fisheries management plans which was developed in the 1990's these following guidlines are used

a stable recreational fishery will have a limit of 1 to 3 pike over 63cm, depending on fishing pressure

a vulnerable fishery, has a 1 over 63cm regulation

a stable-trophy fishery is 1 pike over 100cm

hope this helps
Old 06-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
X2

I've spoken to the powers who lobbied for these regulations. Although uncommon, Clear is actually monitored annually and is subject to change on an annual basis. So I think it's unfair to critique the new regs until you see results.

IMO, it's hard to 'stunt' pike. They just eat each other and grow bigger. The strongest survive. And contrary to popular belief, while the big old girls may still spawn, their productivity is reduced. After 3 years of age is when pike reproduce most effectively.

And for all of you who want to see a trophy pike fishery down south like Wab, your wish may have just come true. Few will actually keep a fish over 100cm but that's their perogative.
Big thing to remember is most of these lakes are not really lakes. Almost everyone so. of Calgary is a man made resevoir that was stocked with the pike