Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
Doesn't have to be gender based either: do it like a reality 'green acres' sort of thing. Leave 'em in a cabin in the woods with no electricity or plumbing and see if they can homestead.
That was done. They called it Pioneer Quest.

Only no there was no cabin. The participants had to build their own cabin.
It was kinda interesting.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
spewed coffee reading how your first coyote hunt went.
Ha ha me too.............but I hope she gets them varmints!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Is this thread a joke?
its pretty close to one. my daughter came home from school one day when she was about 6 years old and proclaimed that boys are stupid. this thread shows quite clearly that a lot of them are. freakin hilarious how the coyotes are smart enough to avoid trouble, but the dogs in this thread can be baited so easily.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 PM

I have to say this has been one of my favourite threads in my short time as an AO member. Thanks for the laughs, and not just from the OP.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 AM

I've come up with a few Titles for the new TV Reality Show brought to you by AO Forum.

1. Spider Tracker
2. Snake Whisperer
3. Arachno and the yotes

Feel free to add your own personal preference

BW
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
its pretty close to one. my daughter came home from school one day when she was about 6 years old and proclaimed that boys are stupid. this thread shows quite clearly that a lot of them are. freakin hilarious how the coyotes are smart enough to avoid trouble, but the dogs in this thread can be baited so easily.
While I think my dogs are quite pretty, the one that went hounding after the coyote was a dumb as a rock and a bit of a problem child when it came to anything close to obedience. She had afterall, decided to leap off a 70 ft ridge because she thought she was Lassie. I had to climb down to get her and hoist her up because she had broken her leg. She also decided that a Lynx was her baby and brought it home in her mouth. The fact the Lynx was hissing, spitting, clawing and biting her was beyond her simple dog brain - (which I firmly believe to this day was nothing more than a vacuum because an airhead would have at least oxygen molecules floating around.) She believed that all cat like critters were her babies, she harassed the poor neighbour's cat into running away she would keep bringing the cat back to the house every time it tried to leave the property.

This dog would chew rocks, require a tennis ball in my hand before she could take a step forward - although if the damn ball was ever thrown she had no clue what to do with it and if she smelled a bear would make a choking sound and roll onto her back refusing to move. Smart coyotes? You betcha....
Old 05-25-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post
While I think my dogs are quite pretty, the one that went hounding after the coyote was a dumb as a rock and a bit of a problem child when it came to anything close to obedience. She had afterall, decided to leap off a 70 ft ridge because she thought she was Lassie. I had to climb down to get her and hoist her up because she had broken her leg. She also decided that a Lynx was her baby and brought it home in her mouth. The fact the Lynx was hissing, spitting, clawing and biting her was beyond her simple dog brain - (which I firmly believe to this day was nothing more than a vacuum because an airhead would have at least oxygen molecules floating around.) She believed that all cat like critters were her babies, she harassed the poor neighbour's cat into running away she would keep bringing the cat back to the house every time it tried to leave the property.

This dog would chew rocks, require a tennis ball in my hand before she could take a step forward - although if the damn ball was ever thrown she had no clue what to do with it and if she smelled a bear would make a choking sound and roll onto her back refusing to move. Smart coyotes? You betcha....
... I gotta buy a new keyboard:sHa_s arcasticlol:
Old 06-02-2012, 12:17 AM

Just thought I would let you know that we haven't had time to go hunting again as I have been crazy busy with work.

And as predicted, I haven't seen coyotes cutting across our land since I shot at them. Which is good, but I sort of miss them, and the idea of actually getting one! I can still hear plenty at night though, so they're around.

I did however, have an awesome badger (Taxidea taxus) encounter this morning! I totally stalked up on it and got within a few feet of her.

I had NO idea they could hiss like that! What an unearthly sound! I love these animals!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Just thought I would let you know that we haven't had time to go hunting again as I have been crazy busy with work.

And as predicted, I haven't seen coyotes cutting across our land since I shot at them. Which is good, but I sort of miss them, and the idea of actually getting one! I can still hear plenty at night though, so they're around.

I did however, have an awesome badger (Taxidea taxus) encounter this morning! I totally stalked up on it and got within a few feet of her.

I had NO idea they could hiss like that! What an unearthly sound! I love these animals!
That might change if your stalking skills improve.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:

Your probably the only person in southern Alberta who could find a soft spot for them... ranchers hate them for the hidden holes they dig.

Be careful around them, they can be viscous if they feel cornered and can jump amazing heights.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 AM

I really do love them.

When I was growing up I read a book called "The Incident at Hawk's Hill," and it was loosely based on a true story just north of Winnipeg. An autistic boy became lost and ended up living with a mother badger who had recently lost her babies. She actually nursed him, and it was months before he was found again.

Anyway, I fell in love with the species right then and I looked for years in Manitoba for one, but sadly, they are all but gone there. Same in B.C., they recently introduced a recovery plan for badgers.

I finally saw one for the first time in 2006, 17 years after I had read the book and started looking. I saw it in SW Saskatchewan and decided right then I would live there one day. Within 12 months, I had sold my house in Winnipeg and I'd moved 11 hours west! Eventually, I started a newspaper called The Badger in homage of that tough icon of the prairies.

I have met ranchers who have a respect for them. One old cowboy actually had one living in their house as a pet when he was a kid, and he came in and showed me a photo of this badger and three kids all cuddled up in front of a fireplace. I think that most ranchers that learn of my badger love are sort of amused by it, and find it entertaining. I haven't caught any real hell for it yet. Mostly, everyone just has a badger story they want to tell. Once they tell it, they start to think out loud about how rare it is to see one these days, compared to before.

I know they dig holes, but those holes are used by foxes, and coyotes, and they are a huge predator of gophers. They are an integral part of a healthy prairie ecosystem, and I think most guys realize that. Or at least, I think many are beginning to realize that some are needed.

In Saskatchewan and Alberta, they are still listed as an agricultural pest, but I fear their numbers are on the severe decline. In fact, I'm working on a story about this issue precisely.

I have had two other close badger encounters and the first one was merely curious about me and let me observe while it dug a new burrow. The other incident I found one on the outskirts of town, and I was able to approach it and feed it some potato chips. (I know it's bad to feed wild animals, but I couldn't help myself.)

It didn't really like the chips, and spat them out. But no hissing!

When I heard it this morning, I was so surprised that I actually thought there was some gas leak escaping under pressure from under ground somewhere! I think based on her behaviour (defending rather than retreating) that she may have babies in that burrow. I marked the spot, and I will return with my blind to try and get some really good photos.

It totally made my day.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:50 AM

you and ishootbambi should get together for a badger day.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:52 AM

badgers just have that cool factor.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
you and ishootbambi should get together for a badger day.
He doesn't want to hunt them either?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I really do love them.

When I was growing up I read a book called "The Incident at Hawk's Hill," and it was loosely based on a true story just north of Winnipeg. An autistic boy became lost and ended up living with a mother badger who had recently lost her babies. She actually nursed him, and it was months before he was found again.

Anyway, I fell in love with the species right then and I looked for years in Manitoba for one, but sadly, they are all but gone there. Same in B.C., they recently introduced a recovery plan for badgers.

I finally saw one for the first time in 2006, 17 years after I had read the book and started looking. I saw it in SW Saskatchewan and decided right then I would live there one day. Within 12 months, I had sold my house in Winnipeg and I'd moved 11 hours west! Eventually, I started a newspaper called The Badger in homage of that tough icon of the prairies.

I have met ranchers who have a respect for them. One old cowboy actually had one living in their house as a pet when he was a kid, and he came in and showed me a photo of this badger and three kids all cuddled up in front of a fireplace. I think that most ranchers that learn of my badger love are sort of amused by it, and find it entertaining. I haven't caught any real hell for it yet. Mostly, everyone just has a badger story they want to tell. Once they tell it, they start to think out loud about how rare it is to see one these days, compared to before.

I know they dig holes, but those holes are used by foxes, and coyotes, and they are a huge predator of gophers. They are an integral part of a healthy prairie ecosystem, and I think most guys realize that. Or at least, I think many are beginning to realize that some are needed.

In Saskatchewan and Alberta, they are still listed as an agricultural pest, but I fear their numbers are on the severe decline. In fact, I'm working on a story about this issue precisely.

I have had two other close badger encounters and the first one was merely curious about me and let me observe while it dug a new burrow. The other incident I found one on the outskirts of town, and I was able to approach it and feed it some potato chips. (I know it's bad to feed wild animals, but I couldn't help myself.)

It didn't really like the chips, and spat them out. But no hissing!

When I heard it this morning, I was so surprised that I actually thought there was some gas leak escaping under pressure from under ground somewhere! I think based on her behaviour (defending rather than retreating) that she may have babies in that burrow. I marked the spot, and I will return with my blind to try and get some really good photos.

It totally made my day.
I live east of Edmonton and we have more badgers out here than I've seen in awhile...so not sure I would agree with the severe decline
Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I live east of Edmonton and we have more badgers out here than I've seen in awhile...so not sure I would agree with the severe decline
Interesting! Down here, you definitely don't see them often, and I recently confirmed that sentiment with someone in government.
Would be interested to do a population study across Saskatchewan and Alberta.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:

If you are to busy to hunt and fish... you are just too busy....

You think thats surprising...you should see how fast they are if you get too close and one decides it's time for a dust-up.

They are pretty shy but be careful.... those things are greased lightening.

Kind of a Canadian equivalent to....
Attached Images
File Type: png 230px-Taz-Looney_Tunes.png (26.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-02-2012, 09:52 AM

Would agree that they are great gopher exterminators and if they would just stay In my pasture and keep out of cultivated fields I would have no problems co-existing with them...while harvesting with crop 3 feet tall a person doesn't see the holes until to late and damage and downtime cost a lot...so pretty much kill all I see!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
He doesn't want to hunt them either?
that would be a No and don't let him near a shovel if theres one around . I see them every year . Last year we spotted about 8 different ones
Old 06-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Interesting! Down here, you definitely don't see them often, and I recently confirmed that sentiment with someone in government.
Would be interested to do a population study across Saskatchewan and Alberta.
Quoting from the most recent status report done by Dave Scobie for SRD:
The North American badger (Taxidea taxus taxus) is ranked as a "Sensitive" species in Alberta.

Thus, the species is not currently at risk of extinction or extirpation but may require special attention or protection to maintain a healthy population (Alberta Sustainable Resource Development 2001a). Badgers are listed as furbearers under Albertaís Wildlife Act, which allows for year-round hunting.
The report is somewhat dated (2002) but I am not aware of any change in concerns. If you want, PM me and I can give you Dave's contact info. You may also want to talk to Joel Nicholson, the SRD species of risk biologist out of Medicine Hat. Joel is extremely knowledgeable, and an enthusiastic hunter.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don't have a gun case, so I lock my bolts away with my ammo to comply with the law. (And because I have children in the house, of course.)
http://www.nfa.ca/resource-items/sto...cc-s-861-cases

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-10-29/e...?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...hitehorse.html

You live in the country, you have small children, dogs and a coyote problem, you dont need to lock them up
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.

hell if yoyu got a problem me and my budy 7mm mag tika can help u out if u need pm me
Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 PM

Have you been able to solve your furnace issues?

BW
Old 06-11-2012, 12:07 AM

Working on the furnace!
(It's not being used right now really, so I am not in a huge panic, but I will get someone out here, for sure.)