Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 AM

Arrow Buck smashes decoy, Whats wildest thing you've seen from the stand?????

Ok, so many of u proly seen this one but its still a good one. Whats the most random or wild thing you've seen happen while hunting????????
http://huntervids.com/?videos=amazin...g-into-a-decoy
Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM

A couple years ago my brother and I were out looking over a group of deer to see if the bucks had shed their antlers yet. We watched two coyotes run down and kill a full grown whitetail doe. It was very cool to watch as one of the coyotes would stay on the heels of that doe and when he would get tired it would fall back and the other coyote would pull ahead and continue the chase. The whole process took about a min over open ground before the coyotes got their kill. I suppose the deer are weak that time of year given the bad winter we had but still very cool to see!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM

wow never seen something like that before crazy.
only thing i've seen more crazy is that bear that climbs up to a tree rest with the guy in it, and doesn't notice the guy till he yells at the bear and spooks it
Old 06-11-2012, 08:36 AM

I never saw this but my buddy witnessed it...

A good friend of mine was out coyote callling one day and shot a coyote. As he was walking up to recover it a mule doe came out of no where and stomped the dead coyote to a pulp while my buddy stood out in the middle of the field and watched.......when she finally let up and walked off.....he said there was very little coyote left to pick up.....we would have needed a shovel and a bag.

LC
Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 AM

Watched a big black bear take a calf moose out of the lake at the float plane base in fort smith. Pretty wild we were all sitting on the deck looking at the lake when a cow with 2 calfs came out and the big black behind them. They all jumped in the lake and the big bear grabbed a calf and dragged it right out of the lake like nothing. Amazing how strong they are.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Banned

I was sitting with my feet dangling over a 20 drop and my back against a tree when a HUGE skunk came out from behind me and sniffed all up and down my arm and leg like a dog.I just froze and waited him out.After a minute or so he turned around(Aw Sh!t this is it!) but he just mosied on his way.Had me sweating a bit I`ll tell you!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM

We were hunting in a valley back home and had a deer drive on....kids pushed the bush just right when this average mule deer came flying out ran by us and jumped off a 30 foot cliff onto the road almost hitting a truck driving down to the bottom...scared the crap out of the driver....called wardens they came out and took the deer with them.....never seen that before, one in a million thing I think
Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM

I was sitting in my favorite draw, on my little stool, one perfect fall afternoon! I was waiting and listening, when I heard something moving through the buck brush and grass toward me. All of a sudden, a really big Pheasant appeared out of now where! While he milled around the opening, within bow range ( being young, I wasn't sure at the time if I could legally arrow one) I elected to enjoy his company!

Then I heard this crashing through the brush, again towards us! Out of now where again, a young whitetail fawn caming crashing out! He started jumping and bucking like a horse, chasing after the pheasant. LOL . That fawn had that pheasnt squacking , jumping and running for a couple of minutes, i'm suprised he didn't just fly away.

All of a sudden you see the fawn stop dead in his tracks and lift his head. I easly could make out the snorting of mom in the bush. He shot back into the bush, like a kid in trouble. Funniest thing ever to witness!

When days are tough out in the bush, that event always makes me remember why I'm out there !
Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 AM

One damp drizzly morning, I was sitting in my ground blind over looking a small hardwood clearing. This little "HOLE" was circled by big mature spruce...and a splash or two of some thick alders along a small brook. I heard some leaves rustling, then stop...then I heard it again...then a whole lot of leafy noise...I readied my 270 and waited.....out comes this big partridge (grouse)...walking along...scratching and pecking...just like a hen. I thought hey this is pretty kool. It fed around for about 15 minutes, it was about 7 or 8 yards in front of me....all of a sudden, I lost sight of it. I figured it shut me in with a tree or something and left the area.
An hour or so later, I heard a "SNAP"...off to my 9 o'clock....I waited....then another twig cracked...I thought..THIS IS IT...I'ts HIM!....I catch a glance of brown and white...and here comes this Big WT Doe....cautiously placing one foot carefully in front of the other...pausing every few steps to smell and check for danger. I put the safety back on my gun and rested it down across my lap once again. I thought..I have a doe tag, but, it's only early in the season....sooo...I'll let her walk.
She was on a left to right course taking her thru the "HOLE"...directly in front of me at close range. When she got in front of me she made one more step...and THEN...all hell broke loose!....that partridge must have bedded right there in those pile of hardwood leaves ...cuzzz....that doe must have just about stepped on it...IT FLUSHED...jumped right up and into the does chest...between her front legs...the doe JUMPED...she snorted about 5 or 6 times.....the partridge was still trying to get up past her chest and neck...the leaves were flying...there were feathers flying....there was deer snot and spit....there was even some partridge poop
It took this chain of events about 5 or 6 seconds to unravel...but it was like I watched it on a slo-mo film!!...She took off for parts unknown...the partridge is likely STILL climbing someplace ...and I got to watch a freaky nature show!! I had a chuckle for a few hours after that...every time I watched it in my mind!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 AM

Default wolf/mule deer chase

Had a wolf come walking towards us on the side of the mountain last year while we were pre-season scouting for sheep. He was almost to us when a muley buck jumped up out of a patch of scrub about fifty yards from us and the chase was on. It was amazing to see how fast both the deer and wolf could move in that rough country. I thought he was going to get that buck but at treeline the deer made a few quick moves around some pines and the wolf lost sight of him.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 AM

Default Deer chase coyote....wait...what!

Was driving on 14th Street along Nose Hill on the way to work this morning. Just north of 64th Ave. saw a doe chasing a coyote. The coyote was running all out along side that single strand wire fence thats there, being chased by this deer. She was not just chasing the dog away, but seemed intent on doing him some damage. The dog made a few cuts and ended up heading in the opposite direction and she was still after him.
Most interesting thing I've seen on the way to work in a while. Wished that I didn't have a whole platoon of vehicles behind me so that I could have stopped and watched for a while longer.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 PM

A couple of years ago, during the rut, I shot a whitetail doe from my treestand with my bow. She moved off about 20 yards into a clearing and was standing there taking her last breaths. A young buck ran into the clearing and stuck his nose under her tail. Her tail went up and the buck mounted her. The doe collapsed to the ground, dead, and the buck finished what he started. From the time I shot doe, until the buck was done took about a minute, or so it seemed.

I guess if you only get action once a year, you're not so fussy.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Two Octobers ago, driving to work on Crowsnest Trail east bound in Lethbridge city limits, just before the Scenic Drive overpass. Two young bucks with antlers locked, fighting all the way down the coulee and allmost into oncoming traffic. If any of you know how busy CN Trail can get around 7:30 am...yeah, just about had a huge mess on our hands. Only thing that stopped them from jumping into the oncoming traffic was the horn of the 18 wheeler right beside me. Could have been very ugly. Since then, I can't count how many decent WT and Mule Bucks I've been seeing in the city. It's a shame some of 'em get hit throughout the season.

Tags
buck, charge, decoy, smash