Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
As stated in the Alberta Fishing regulations:

"Sportfishing by Indians

Indians do not need an Alberta Sportfishing Licence or WiN card for general sportfishing, however all other sportfishing regulations apply equally to all persons, including Indians. Indians are persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act."

Hope this helps...keep the thread civil..... thx
I think there is a difference between the Metis people and Natives who are under the Indian Act. Two different peoples.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM

Metis, when sport fishing, have to have a sportfishing licence and follow all the regulations, regardless of their harvester status.

They can apply to SRD to get recognized as a Metis Harvester, this allows them to:

1) Obtain a licence to harvest with a net in water bodies within 160 kms of the community they are connected to.

2) Hunt at all times of the year on land they have right of access to within 160 kms of the Metis community they are connected to.

From SRD website http://www.srd.alberta.ca/FishWildli...a-Jun-2010.pdf
Old 06-29-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIsley View Post
Metis, when sport fishing, have to have a sportfishing licence and follow all the regulations, regardless of their harvester status.

They can apply to SRD to get recognized as a Metis Harvester, this allows them to:

1) Obtain a licence to harvest with a net in water bodies within 160 kms of the community they are connected to.

2) Hunt at all times of the year on land they have right of access to within 160 kms of the Metis community they are connected to.

From SRD website http://www.srd.alberta.ca/FishWildli...a-Jun-2010.pdf

excellent post

thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad66 View Post
I think there is a difference between the Metis people and Natives who are under the Indian Act. Two different peoples.
very much so.... very different.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
very much so.... very different.
i have to disagree
how are the metis differant from other natives .. my wifes family is as native as any blood or peigan or cree (which is what her family line is) the only difference is the way they are defined by what the canadian gov says.
can the gov say one group of chinese are not chinese or that one group of italians are not italians? i think not. what is the difference ? please explain my friend.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 PM

and interesting that the op has not commented ... someone mentioned troll ...lol
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM

Queens Bench Court has ruled on Metis rules posted by SRD(challenged in Alberta court ) ..judge ruled you don,t have to be from a Metis settlement to hunt in Alberta and also that most of the province is huntable except parts of Southern Alberta and that needs to be a Federal Court ruling and that is being ruled on as we speak ..and if nessecary will be taken to Supreme Court of Canada by Alberta Metis ..it is all ready won by Metis Ontario/ Sask and Manitoba

the Alberta Metis is asking all Metis to use SRD rules to harvest until this ruling is a judgement

also you(any Albertan) can hunt as a Subsistance hunter in Alberta if you qualify by income or Doctors opinion and can hunt any time you freezer is empty..SRD rules.. apply at any SRD office..which i qualify for /if i need

imo

Food for Thought
David

Last edited by Speckle55; 06-29-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:27 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
i have to disagree
how are the metis differant from other natives .. my wifes family is as native as any blood or peigan or cree (which is what her family line is) the only difference is the way they are defined by what the canadian gov says.
can the gov say one group of chinese are not chinese or that one group of italians are not italians? i think not. what is the difference ? please explain my friend.

In Canada, natives are classified as indians, inuit and metis. hey are also referred to as status indians, non status indians and treaty indians. As a general rule of thumb.......metis are a people of mixed blood. Those being native and european. Metis were once included in many of the treaties.. but for some reason were excluded.

Also when I mentioned very different, i didnt specify.. I was talking about hunting and fishing rights between the two.......period.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad66 View Post
One also has to consider that beginning in the 1870s, the Government of Canada had very specific plans and agendas regarding Aboriginal peoples.

The first and foremost agenda was to assimilate Aboriginal peoples into the dominant society (which was then mostly European) by removing any ties to previously signed treaty rights.

This was done by a number of methods. Very complex rules were created to remove status to treaty rights as well as purposely omitting entire families from census rolls kept by Indian Affairs.

Most Metis families were created not because they "different" but because the female of the family was a Native woman who had married out (iwo, married a non-status man). None of the children of that relationship were considered status and therefore a recipient of any treaty rights. I think you'll find that this was the most common method. When one looks through their family history, they usually find the native ancestors to be women. The Hudson Bay was notorious for encouraging their men to "country marry" the local Native women. When the Indian Act was created in 1876, the families of these unions were considered non-native under the status clause.

Other Metis families were created simply by the method of Indian Agents completing their census during prime hunting, fishing or trading times when families were absent from the area. There are numerous families where one brother was listed on the census and the other one left off because they were at a fort trading furs for goods. When the trading brother returned, his family was removed from the treaty area/reserve.

More Metis families were created when Indian Agents forcibly had treaty descendants sign their enfranchisement papers. These people were then removed from the reserve.

All these people who were of mixed blood, found themselves without access to their people, families and territory. They formed their own groups - which when you really think of it were no different than what any other ostracised group does - they create an ethnic/religious/cultural group. They were left alone by the GOC because as far as the GOC was concerned, these folks had no treaty rights and were no longer necessary to deal with.

For the Government of Canada at that time, those who found themselves outside of the treaty rights, meant that there were fewer treaty beneficiaries to deal with. The more Aboriginal peoples that no longer had claims to treaty rights, the less the Government had to pay out or consider in long term planning on those treaty rights. The idea was, if no Aboriginal people were technically left because of assimilation, then Canada would be released from any treaty obligations without, as the USA had done, breaking them. The method allowed for the dissolution of the treaty obligations without fear of lengthy court cases (the fact that the Indian Act forbade any Aboriginal group to hire a lawyer for land claims is another low point in Canadian legal history).

The provisions on the Indian Act also interfered with the matrilineal cultures of many First Nations, whereby children were born to the mother's clan and people, and gained their status in the tribe from her family. Often property and hereditary leadership passed through the maternal line. Break that line and the community is left with no hereditary leadership.

Consider that the Metis as we now know them, are the elephant in the room for the GOC. With the numerous pieces of legislation created just t limit or remove a treaty right and what we now recognize as a bad move on previous governments. The GOC while admitting that the enfranchisement of Aboriginal women because of who they married was a horrible mistake, they only went so far to fix it. If the spirit of the legislation of Bill C31 were truly meant to restore treaty rights to these women and their descendants, then it would not have created the imaginary line of 2 generation cut off to limit those claims of restoration. For most Metis families, the enfranchisement occurred at the creation of the first Indian Act in 1876.

The GOC in the early part of the 1920s wanted the predictions of the anthropologists to come true. These predictions which were based upon current legislation and assimilation agendas, estimated that there would be no Aboriginal peoples left that had treaty rights by 1960. The assimilation efforts were stepped up. But the anthros were wrong and with egg on their face, the GOC had to rethink their policies and treaty obligations. Have a read of Chretien's 1969 Red Paper to see what the GOC wanted to do.

My own grandchildren are paternal descendants of Suzanne Connolly (Miyo Nipiv - Cree) who was the mother of Lady Amelia Douglas. Suzanne married a HBC man as did Amelia. Amelia's husband went on to become Sir James Douglas of BC. Now, this particular family is so well documented that having those records makes it easy to show the lineal descendant. But as far as the Government of Canada is concerned (Indian Affairs) Suzanne's descendants are only ever going to be considered Metis and not Cree. Had Suzanne been a male, all of his descendants would have been considered Cree by the GOC.

What the court recognizes in the Powley case is that irrespective of what label the GOC puts of a person, the Metis still are descendants of those treaty rights. Drawing imaginary lines in the sand by the GOC to decide who is Aboriginal and who is not (see enfranchisement categories of the Indian Act from 1878 until 1985) does not remove from the person the actual connection to the treaty right holder.

Now one might want to try to argue that the Metis have their own culture in an effort to suggest that they aren't "really" Aboriginal and therefore making them much different from First Nations. I think that line of thought goes in hand with the perception that there is just one Aboriginal culture to be different from. However, if one does want to continue to think along those lines then perhaps one should include in their thoughts that the each and every FN has a distinction of their own and each community is quite different from each other. I would argue that the Metis aren't different people but rather have a variety of traditions and cultural references that distinguishes them from say a Dene, Abenaki or Salish etc community.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Queens Bench Court has ruled on Metis rules posted by SRD(challenged in Alberta court ) ..judge ruled you don,t have to be from a Metis settlement to hunt in Alberta and also that most of the province is huntable except parts of Southern Alberta and that needs to be a Federal Court ruling and that is being ruled on as we speak ..and if nessecary will be taken to Supreme Court of Canada by Alberta Metis ..it is all ready won by Metis Ontario/ Sask and Manitoba

the Alberta Metis is asking all Metis to use SRD rules to harvest until this ruling is a judgement

also you(any Albertan) can hunt as a Subsistance hunter in Alberta if you qualify by income or Doctors opinion and can hunt any time you freezer is empty..SRD rules.. apply at any SRD office..which i qualify for /if i need

imo

Food for Thought
David

Glad you added 'imo'.

There are 8 Metis settlements in Alberta, three of which share a common border with another. Metis Hunting Harvest rights are limited to within 160 km of the Communities boundry. In essence, Metis hunting rights are valid in only a small protion of Northern Alberta.

http://msgc.ca/Communities/Default.ksi

Metis harvesting law in Alberta has been defined. The law stands as written just like the rest of our Fishing and hunting laws.

For perspective, here is the updated Metis Settlements General Council recommended guidlines for Harvesting rights in Alberta.

http://msgc.ca/Assets/documents/uplo...Oct%202010.pdf
Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM

Why would anyone want treaty rights? It's basically a handout and an insult to a persons pride. I think it's time for natives to become part of productive society. I know lots of natives that got off the reserve and are super successful. If we are going to hand this money out we have to make sure there is accountability for how it's used, looks to me like a few people pocket the cash and the rest are suffering in poverty.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCL View Post
Why would anyone want treaty rights? It's basically a handout and an insult to a persons pride. I think it's time for natives to become part of productive society. I know lots of natives that got off the reserve and are super successful. If we are going to hand this money out we have to make sure there is accountability for how it's used, looks to me like a few people pocket the cash and the rest are suffering in poverty.
Bigbore....that pitch that was coming down the middle of the plate is about to meet its match. I think we have a slugger at the dish!!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 AM

IBTL x infinity
Old 07-01-2012, 09:42 AM

In the January 2011 edition of Alberta Outdoorsmen magazine there was an article regarding Metis hunting rights in Alberta. Two metis men had taken game without license in protest and were charged. If my memory serves me, they lost the court battle by virtue of the fact that metis didn't settle in Alberta until the Royal Mounted Police set up a fort. The author seemed to allude to the fact that neither white people or Cree were safe here in the old wild west. I'll try to find my copy of that article.....
Closed Thread