Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Morgan Freeman! If i had the money I'd have him follow me and narrate my life as it happens!
Me too, that would be awesome, boring for the most part, but awesome.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 AM

A few other big names that do not have a problem about saying that they hunt are Blake Shelton & Miranda Lambert. And let's not forget about George Strait.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Hmm ... no one has mentioned Jeff Foxworthy, guess you'd be a redneck if ya did ;p Think Brad Paisley your some country singer like that used to host one of the "old school" tv hunting shows back in the TNN days as well
Old 06-19-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO View Post
A few other big names that do not have a problem about saying that they hunt are Blake Shelton & Miranda Lambert. And let's not forget about George Strait.
Well country singers are not surprising. I think if one ever came out against hunting or guns or Republicans (or marrying your cousin) they could pretty much kiss their career goodbye in about 3 seconds. Dixie who??????? LOL
Old 06-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well country singers are not surprising. I think if one ever came out against hunting or guns or Republicans (or marrying your cousin) they could pretty much kiss their career goodbye in about 3 seconds. Dixie who??????? LOL
Toby Keith makes no secret he is a Democrat. He also makes no secret that he is patriotic. Hasn't really hurt his career a ton, but that is because he is not in your face about his political leanings.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 AM

I think there's a general feeling around certain parts (okay, most parts these days) that hunting is inherently a right-wing activity, because at some point it got all politicised. Fact is, there are a tonne of hunters on the left side as well. There was a doc on (I know, I know) the CBC a year back on hunters who've come to it late, and who don't want to support factory farming, but vegetarianism just isn't right for them for whatever reason.

I think the fact that we've generally come down to a 'gun owners are conservative, antis are reds' position is going to work against us all the next time the Conservatives lose an election to the Liberals. It's why I used to say that as gun owners, we should be working across party lines instead of putting all our eggs in Harper's basket, but I got tired of being shouted down.

Eva Longoria surprised me, but I think we forget where these people come from before they get all Hollywoodised. I mean, who the hell would imagine Amber Heard with a .357 mag and a '68 Mustang? But she's a Texas girl...

I get what you guys are saying about helicopter hunters sailing in, shooting something and leaving. Kinda feels like they're missing the point, doesn't it? Oh well, the cheques sure help.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.

Last edited by roadkill; 07-01-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Toby Keith makes no secret he is a Democrat. He also makes no secret that he is patriotic. Hasn't really hurt his career a ton, but that is because he is not in your face about his political leanings.
He voted for Clinton twice, he voted for Bush twice and he supported Obama, he is no longer a democrat and is registered as an independent. Quoted as saying the democratic party no longer stands for what he believes in.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I think the fact that we've generally come down to a 'gun owners are conservative, antis are reds' position is going to work against us all the next time the Conservatives lose an election to the Liberals. It's why I used to say that as gun owners, we should be working across party lines instead of putting all our eggs in Harper's basket, but I got tired of being shouted down.
During the C-68 debates, I remember having a conversation with long-time Sask. Wildlife Federation Ed Begin, as to why he had provincial Liberal and NDP's at a rally I was speaking at. Don't forget, I was used to the one party system we had/have in Alberta.

This very wise man said, "We (SWF) work with all of them. First of all, fish, wildlife and habitat are apolitical, and secondly, anyone of these parties can be the next government here, and they need to know our positions, and more importantly, we need to know who the players are in the various parties."

He then personally introduced me to the various party officials, and it was clear he had a good relationship with all of them.

Smart man he was.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
During the C-68 debates, I remember having a conversation with long-time Sask. Wildlife Federation Ed Begin, as to why he had provincial Liberal and NDP's at a rally I was speaking at. Don't forget, I was used to the one party system we had/have in Alberta.

This very wise man said, "We (SWF) work with all of them. First of all, fish, wildlife and habitat are apolitical, and secondly, anyone of these parties can be the next government here, and they need to know our positions, and more importantly, we need to know who the players are in the various parties."

He then personally introduced me to the various party officials, and it was clear he had a good relationship with all of them.

Smart man he was.
Wow, that's great to hear. And I agree: a very wise man. We need more guys like that, who can work beyond the same ol' same ol' party politics we keep seeing around stuff like that.

I might actually be feeling a glimmer of hope.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:10 AM

Default Hollywood Hunters

I remember meeting Larry Hagman (JR on the Dallas series) while hunting in Saskatchewan. He would park a big class A in the parking lot across from the Cabri hotel. Drinks in the evening and hunt in the mornings. I recall that he was friendly and a nice guy to be around. That was in the late 1970's.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 AM

karl malone's money he should be able to do the hunt however he wants if it's legal. he's the one missing out so who gives a fizzle.
that's why we are always sucking hind boobie in the public eye because no matter what and who is on the people who hunt list somebody is gonna complain about them.
the special interests that get things done stick together and that includes the anti's, we really need to pull up our socks in this regard. we should be happy that people in the public eye enjoy what we enjoy, there is no harm to come from celebrities enjoying the outdoors. why not embrace it?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 AM

We are as hunters our own worst enemy at times. If its ethical and legal have fun and enjoy the sport.