Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 PM

Exclamation Free pigeon removal around lethbridge

I am wanting to come and catch some pigeons for my dog to train. I am willing to drive a lil ways out of lethbridge, if you got pigeons Ill come and catch em. I do not kill them or cause harm. I cant be sure they wont return but if they do Ill be there again, I have till next fall to train so Ill be looking for a while. If not ask around, Im doing the same and the only lead I have so far is a pest control place but they want me to kill em after, Im only in it for the training. Thanks winger7mm
Old 01-28-2012, 08:27 PM

Phone masterfeeds in Taber and Picture butte and see if you are able to trap some of the pigeons around there. I use to work at the Taber plant and we were always having to pop them with pellet guns to try and cut down on the numbers that hung around. It never seemed to help and there is always a bunch of them hanging around.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Phone masterfeeds in Taber and Picture butte and see if you are able to trap some of the pigeons around there. I use to work at the Taber plant and we were always having to pop them with pellet guns to try and cut down on the numbers that hung around. It never seemed to help and there is always a bunch of them hanging around.
Well i dunno about trapping, more like going in after dark and spot lighting them and catching with a net lol, But thanks for the tips Ill give them a call on monday.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:19 PM

I would love to see that go down.

Can I join you and bring the video camera?

We have tried hard to capture them alive in nets but it never did work out. Maybe a minnow type throw net would catch them but we always used the normal fishing nets.

I could see it working and you could probably get access at both mills during the night or on weekends when they aren't running feed.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I would love to see that go down.

Can I join you and bring the video camera?

We have tried hard to capture them alive in nets but it never did work out. Maybe a minnow type throw net would catch them but we always used the normal fishing nets.

I could see it working and you could probably get access at both mills during the night or on weekends when they aren't running feed.
I've killed enough this way to keep the Chinese food restaurant in town in business. I'm sure they could be caught rather then meeting the bad end of a 9 iron!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:50 AM

Default Catching them

Well, when you turn the lights out at night they cant see so they stay put you find them with a flashlight and if you can reach them with a fishnet on the end of a broom handle perfect, poke behind it till it flies then scoop it out of the air with the net. if you cant reach them point another light to somewhere you can reach and get them to fly to it, seeing how they cant see in the dark they will fly to the lighted up spot. It is the funniest thing I think. I was laughing the whole time I was shown how to do this, and it works fantastic There is a way to twist the wings together to prevent them from flying or flapping that causes no harm as long as you can keep the dog from killing it. then after a minute of running around with the pigeon in your hand and the dog chasing you unwrap the wings, put it on the ground and just as the dog gets there release, and away the bird goes with dog chasing it lol. This is a great way to introduce dogs to birds as they are live and spark the intrest in birds.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:29 PM

I used to work at the Viterra feed mill in Lethbridge and its always full of pidgeons. Might be worthwhile to inquire with the management to see if they'd let you try.
Because it operates 24 hours a day the elevator never really goes dark but the unloading scale around back might be a good place to start.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
...There is a way to twist the wings together to prevent them from flying or flapping that causes no harm as long as you can keep the dog from killing it. then after a minute of running around with the pigeon in your hand and the dog chasing you unwrap the wings, put it on the ground and just as the dog gets there release, and away the bird goes with dog chasing it lol. This is a great way to introduce dogs to birds as they are live and spark the intrest in birds.
You would be better off clipping the flight feathers of the pigeon before releasing the bird. That way the bird will take flight but will not be able to sustain flight for more then a couple meters, allowing the pup to retrieve the bird. You'll get a number of retrieves out of a pigeon before it's soaking wet and too tired to fly. Then ring it's neck and feed to a cat, no farmer or elevator operator wants the flying rat back.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:11 PM

Default no need for nets...

Pick up or build a trap door cage for those pigeons. Place near or right at loafing area that you can access. Leave trap with feed in and doors wired open. Leave for a day or two and restock feed. Shouldn't be long until they are comfortable going in. Once they start using it, change up the doors, and restock feed bowl and you will have enough live birds real quick....

Of course get permission for your trap site.

Good luck, it works.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Default Lots of pigeons

Are you still looking for pigeons? Send me a message if you still need them -- we have them at the house we are about to rent out and I'd like to have them removed before the renters come. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:34 PM

Default Pidgeons

We just picked up a pile of pidgeons for falconry purposes down south. There appeared to be tons more available for $2 a bird.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 PM

If you google pigeon traps you can see how to make them. I was down the same road many years ago, they are not as easy to catch as we would imagine.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
We just picked up a pile of pidgeons for falconry purposes down south. There appeared to be tons more available for $2 a bird.
We may have gotten pigeons from the same place then hehehe real cheap and they work great
Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 PM

The gentleman I dealt with is Joe.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 AM

Default Pigeon's needed

Could you PM your guys information. I need to buy some as well.

Thx
MJ