Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2012, 03:03 PM

Default Bass fishin'!!!!!

Well, headed for Ontario tomorrow, for ten days of bass fishing. Largemouth and smallmouth bass, can't wait, it's been about four years since my last trip out there. I arrive early afternoon, and predict that I will be on the water shortly thereafter. I will post pictures later.

LR
Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 PM

have fun bud!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:21 PM

where are you heading to in ont?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:22 PM

wich part of ontario are you going to ?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:14 PM

lucky bugger! Good luck!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned

Interesting name there OP, unless you speak of a different Liege River I dont know very many people who have been there. Curious to know how a guy from Wainwrite crossed pathes with the Liege.

PS enjoy the bass fishing!!

Last edited by Cal; 07-16-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:45 AM

Go to port colborne. I was with 3 other guys and we caught the limit in 1 hour, 18 to be specific. They were big and the fights were pretty good.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 AM

Default And, I'm back.....

Well, the fishing was pretty good. We fished the Rideau River, by Kemptville, Muskrat lake by the town of Cobden, Corry lake near Petawawa, Lake Clear and Calabogie Lake. The water levels are down a couple of feet, maybe more in some areas. Ontario is experiencing some pretty dry weather this year. There was an awful wind storm in the Calabogie area, and the damage quite severe. We got into smallmouths up to five pounds or so, and largemouths to just about six pounds. We fished everything from rocky points and dropoffs, to weedy, scummy nasty stuff that would make the most hardened fisherman quiver. The smallies would pull strong, until they saw the boat....then you had to hang on!! We caught a lot of our largemouths on topwater stuff, like Scumfrogs....what a blast!!! The biggest thing to overcome is the urge to set the hook at the strike; you have to give the fish a 1-2-3-SET type of thing, or you just pull the bait right out of it's mouth. Once hooked, you have to get his head up out of the slop, and fight him on top, or they dog down into the pads and weeds, where they spit the hook. I'm sure I lost more than I caught, but it's been a few years. For the most part, we used spinning gear for the smallies, and baitcasters with heavier line for the largies. I'm at work, as I just got back last night and the pics are still on my iPhone. I will send a few to Buckbrushoutdoors, as I have his number, and I will post a bunch later. If any of you have never fished for bass, you have to try it, it's a hoot!!

LR
Oh, Cal, you and I have talked about my handle before, bud. Maybe we should do a moose float hunt sometime ? Later, friend.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM

Default Bass pics

OK. Trying to insert pics. Of course, these are not all, but just a sample. The second pic is of my buddy Mark, and a smallie that was about 5 lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (30.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (40.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 025.jpg (43.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 038.jpg (33.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 045.jpg (37.3 KB, 89 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 PM

Thats awesome, Sounds like you had a blast. Any top water stuff for the LG mouth? That was my favorite thing to do when I was down in Illinois. Nothing like having them smash top water baits.
Thanks for sharing
Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 PM

Hey, Justin: Most of our LM bass came from topwater stuff. We caught a few on wacky rig Senko's, too. Lots of fun any way you look at it.

Gord
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 PM

That's the best I bet you had a blast. I love casting up onto the bank then pull it back to the water and see them hammer it as soon as it touches the water. I bet your thumbs are full of little cuts from lipping them all lol
Hope you post more pics from your trip any videos by chance? What was the biggest LG? That small mouth was so dark beautiful fish.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 AM

Great pics! And awesome fish! Next time you do a trip like that I may have to tag along
Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Talking Bass

There are some more pics, but I don't have them, as they are on other cameras, phones, etc. As I get them, I'll post a few more. Justin, that smallie fishing is a blast for sure. Casting right into the rocks, where you'd think you would get snagged, and BOOM!! Fish on, and fight right to the boat. And then, once you get there, they run you all over the boat. Our biggest LM was a little better than six pounds, I think, but I don't have it's photo. And our best smallie was one of those that my buddy Mark caught, and it's posted. The smallies weren't bad when lipping them, but those bigger LM's definately have some good teeth on their lower jaw. I took the pain, though , as I only get to do this trip once every two years, and I missed the last one. So, it was a four year wait. But, I'm over it now. Might have to go visit Ont a little more, if only just for the bass fishing. And I do have to admit to a preference for the topwater stuff when fishing for the largemouths. Awesome method for catching them, should almost be illegal it's so much fun. Unfortunately, no video. Next time, maybe. BBO, if you want to go, we'll have to sit down and talk to Kevin. Give me a call and we'll talk.
LR