Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Default Trout fishing 2009 around Edmonton

Hey, first of id like to say im new to the forums, and ive found alot of friendly people on here with very helpful pointers. Im a huge trout fishing fan, my favorite lake (east pit lake) is pretty painful for me to go there to since it was mine and my dads spot to go fishing, he passed away in 2006 and due to health reasons couldnt make it up the mountain of a hill but he loved that place. Basically, ive tryed two fishing ponds with that being the morinville res and cardiff lake. I caught 4 small trout between 4-6 inches between the two lakes and an evening of fishing with many bites. Im just wondering if there are any reports of decent trout being caught around Edmonton. Ive pulled some lunkers out of east pit lake but havent gone back since my dad passed.

Heres a picture of a trout i caught last year at swan lake up north. Im going to keep this thread updated with all my trout fishing adventures around Edmonton.

Last edited by Mattattack; 06-18-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 PM

If your looking for big trout try Lamont pond ,just east of the city. I was there on sunday and i caught my 3 biggest trout ever. 2 were just over 2lbs and the big one was just under 5lbs.I'll be going there again on thursday if the weather is nice in the evening. I will post my pics in a few days.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall4u View Post
If your looking for big trout try Lamont pond ,just east of the city. I was there on sunday and i caught my 3 biggest trout ever. 2 were just over 2lbs and the big one was just under 5lbs.I'll be going there again on thursday if the weather is nice in the evening. I will post my pics in a few days.
Really thats awesome. I was thinking about going there because my girlfriend is actually from Andrew which is a 20 minute drive away from Lamont. I actually just got back from the Beaumont pond and caught a alright one. What were you using in Lamont for those big guys. I personally bait fish since im new to fly fishing and havent purchased a rod just yet.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:40 PM

anyone having luck elsewhere?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:09 AM

Chickakoo is good for brookies right now, caught 22 from 6 to 9pm on friday night...Small bronze spoon, that was money...
Old 06-13-2009, 02:50 AM

Any size?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:19 AM

Im stuck to the shore so i usually end up bait fishing since i am not good enough to lay the money down for a fly fishing set up at the moment. I tryed hermitage today in edmonton and didnt get a single bite all day, im guessing it was too hot because usually my rig up works wonders for trout, but that body of water is grimy from all the ducks/geese and everything in between swimming in it, the pond had a good coat of sludge on the top boarderlining the shoreline.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake View Post
Chickakoo is good for brookies right now, caught 22 from 6 to 9pm on friday night...Small bronze spoon, that was money...
Where were finding them on the lake? I have been there numerous times already this year and could only find Rainbows. Sounds like I was using a similar set up as well, bronze and a copper Kastmaster.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:36 AM

ashland dam going to drayton valley from Leduc was stocked with 10 inch trout. I couldnt keep them off my hook. I lost a big one in the weeds which i would guess to be around 3 or 4 pounds.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattattack View Post
ashland dam going to drayton valley from Leduc was stocked with 10 inch trout. I couldnt keep them off my hook. I lost a big one in the weeds which i would guess to be around 3 or 4 pounds.
Did you shore fishing in the ashland dam park campground? $2 parking fee for day use.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonfishing View Post
Did you shore fishing in the ashland dam park campground? $2 parking fee for day use.
Yes i was shore fishing. A toonie is a very minimal fee to pay for a fun afternoon of fishing.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:07 PM

i havent fished it but Star lake suppose to have nice size rainbows, it is just off highway 770 couple km west of mink lake. muir lake has good trout in it but i have yet to to catch one they like to jump all around me but not touch my fly. if you want to go a little farther Lower chain is a great lake for trout it 30 north west of athabasca. caught my limit in under 3 hours 4 at 1 and 1/2 pounds and one at 3 and had 20 other at about 8 inches. i have heard there is some 5 + in there, but havent hooked one yet
Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Where were finding them on the lake? I have been there numerous times already this year and could only find Rainbows. Sounds like I was using a similar set up as well, bronze and a copper Kastmaster.
I'm interested too, where on the lake were you? I went out for a couple hours this evening and got one small rainbow right at the beginning and then a couple bites but not much action.

Anyone have tips for Chickakoo? I could get a canoe out there, is that better for this lake or can you get just as good results from the shore? I tried bobber with a plain hook and some Berkley trout dough, a small spinner, little orange and copper spoons, and an elk hair caddis dry fly but nothing.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:28 PM

Default Trout Fishing Near Edmonton

Where is Lamont Pond? I am going fishing with my family tomorrow morning and would like someplace close by where we can fish from shore.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Default nordegg river

i crossed this river the other day. If i wasnt on my wat to work i woulda stopped.anyone got any info on it? are they still baiting bears in the area?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernArcher View Post
Where is Lamont Pond? I am going fishing with my family tomorrow morning and would like someplace close by where we can fish from shore.

Holaaay resurrect an old thread, LOL