Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Cool Fishin boats, Flat bottom VS V-hull for Alberta

Hey All,

Getting closer to buying a little aluminum fishing boat and I was just wondering what peoples opinions are on hull style? I like to fish lakes like Coal, Wabuman, Jackfish, Baptiste, Calling (on occasion) and some mountain lakes as well as the odd float down the NSR. Im looking for a boat 14-16ft, big enough for me, and one or occasionally two other guys. 10-25hp motor.

Now, I have a deal on a flat bottom jon 14ft for CHEAP, haven't found any v-hulls anywhere near the price. Basically im wondering if a flat bottom will be stable enough if there's a little bit of chop on the lake. Now obviously with any small boat you need to be very wary of changing weather conditions, and make wise choices about when to go out. But in GENERAL, how do jons and V's compare as far as stability, ride, roominess, etc. And which is better suited to fishing in AB.

Any suggestions/opinions are much appreciated!
'frenzy
Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 PM

Deep v's are nice but there aren't lakes in Alberta to really require one. No great lakes this way. People just get them to match their overkill trucks ......

The only waves you need worry about comes from the idiots who own master crafts and have no clue when it comes to water etiquette ... None
Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 PM

Also, on a side note, does anyone know if a small outboard (lets say 20hp) can be converted to an outboard jet? If so whats a ballpark number as far as price to convert?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:22 PM

V bottoms are critical in boat control in windy conditions for precise trolling
Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszomola View Post
Deep v's are nice but there aren't lakes in Alberta to really require one.
Get the hell outta here...lol
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Also, on a side note, does anyone know if a small outboard (lets say 20hp) can be converted to an outboard jet? If so whats a ballpark number as far as price to convert?
dont know if that can be done but if you can do it you lose allot of power

60 hp outboard will only have about 40hp at the jet i think
Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 PM

Cool

Thanks for the replies guys. So far consensus seems to be V-bottom.

To give you an idea of the price I could get the 14ft flat bottom for, around 200 bucks. Any other aluminum I have seen has been 400+...

Percise trolling isn't a big deal for be Chubbs, but something to consider.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. So far consensus seems to be V-bottom.

To give you an idea of the price I could get the 14ft flat bottom for, around 200 bucks. Any other aluminum I have seen has been 400+...

Percise trolling isn't a big deal for be Chubbs, but something to consider.

Try pounding your way back into the waves in a flatbottom......you'll pucker so bad, you'll need exlax.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes you can convert 20 hp jet leg will cost around $4000
Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
Get the hell outta here...lol
Well ya don't . I don't see 6 ft rollers anyware out here and it gets super windy. Erie on an average day feels like the ocean and even then my bass boat does superb , minus the fact I am riding slow ... Deep v do ride nice in that water no doubt ...
Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 AM

If you like to stand up and cast, jon boats make a more stable casting platform than a similar sized aluminum v hull. In my 14 foot jon, two animated fly anglers can stand in my boat and cast all day,,, (or shoot ducks if that tickles your fancy,,,) without tipping each other into the drink.

As far wave pounding goes,,, yes, they are rougher than v-hulls, but you can negate some of that by angling into the waves,,, weight distribution really is the key to boat handling,,, if you can get up on plane and vary your angle of attack into the waves, you can smooth out the ride somewhat.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 AM

Calling lake, Lessor Slave lake, Cold lake, Marie lake, Gull and Pigeon Lake are some of the lakes that I have seen 6 foot white water on. Slave lake at the narrows has been wild some days. Calling lake can also become a boiling pot of water.

Pinehurst can also become violent as well as Faucet.

I am sure that there are a couple of others that could win honourable mention for producing high rollers.

V hull or an inflatable are the better choices over a jon boat.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 AM

Boat width and side heights is just as important as which type of boat will suit your wants and needs the best.
Flat bottom boats come in more width sizes than you would normaly see on Deep V's.
The thinner in width the more tippy.
Flat bottom boats will run skinny water more easily than a deep v style. But as posted can be rough in bigger waves.

You can take an old 20hp 2stoke and convert it over to a jet only because the leg would be the same for a 25/30/35/40hp motor.
There is a drop of 1/3 hp when convertying to a jet.
Jets can be purchased thru Outboard jets in Calaforina, for a small motor like a 20hp start at 1650.00.
Before you get interested in a jet you must also take into concederation is:
1- the extra fuel burned.
2- you can only steer the boat when the jet is jetting water
3-to go up a river you first have to be able to go faster than the water coming down.
4- jets do not work well on Deep V's
Old 08-17-2011, 08:23 AM

Default Flat bottom and lakes a no-no

If you are going to fish lakes at all , you will be unhappy with a flat bottom jon or a jet for that matter....Besides being dangerous and a wet ride ....

pretty tippy in a heavy swell ...no chine .....dont become a casualty .

buy a Depp-vee....6 degree deadrise or more ....
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well ya don't . I don't see 6 ft rollers anyware out here and it gets super windy. Erie on an average day feels like the ocean and even then my bass boat does superb , minus the fact I am riding slow ... Deep v do ride nice in that water no doubt ...
Then your never been on slave when it kicks up.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM

My question to some of you jon boat naysayers is,,, have any of you actually fished out of a jon boat?

Yes v hulls handle rougher water better,,, but we are talking cartopper size aluminum boats here,,,,, any 14 foot boat would not be safe in the kind of swells you guys are talking about.

Probably more guys have fallen out of 14 foot aluminum v hulls while taking a leak than any other boat out there. I can stand on the corner on my jon and have at it without tipping the boat over!!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 AM

Great info guys. Much appreciated, especially the stuff about outboard jets. I thought it would be nice so I could go down some rivers without worrying about my prop, but im not prepared to lose that much horsepower OR spend that kind of money

On the topic of boats, I looked more into the different widths of jons. If its a 1436 or narrower, not my deal. If its a 1442 or bigger....alot of potential.
I know the guy selling the boat pretty well, so i'll give her a test run before i make any decisions. Also will give a similar sized V-hull a try, so I can see the strong points in each.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
Calling lake, Lessor Slave lake, Cold lake, Marie lake, Gull and Pigeon Lake are some of the lakes that I have seen 6 foot white water on. Slave lake at the narrows has been wild some days. Calling lake can also become a boiling pot of water.

Pinehurst can also become violent as well as Faucet.

I am sure that there are a couple of others that could win honourable mention for producing high rollers.

V hull or an inflatable are the better choices over a jon boat.
Also Winnefred and Athabasca, I have a Naden deep V with a 20 horse merc on it and have been in white caps over 6 feet a couple of times. There's no question that a deep V is the way to go.... unless you're fishing on a little creek or pond then it shouldn't matter..
Old 08-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

6 foot rollers......... if your in a 12 foot jon boat and your in 4 footers you will be ****ting your pants and i can tell you any lake in alberta can hit 4s
Old 08-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
6 foot rollers......... if your in a 12 foot jon boat and your in 4 footers you will be ****ting your pants and i can tell you any lake in alberta can hit 4s
Wouldn't it be fair to say..4 footers in any 12ft boat you will be ****ting your pants??

Good point tho.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wouldn't it be fair to say..4 footers in any 12ft boat you will be ****ting your pants??

Good point tho.
touché
Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 PM

Friend of mine got pretty spooked on Travers last month in a 17ft Tracker with a 60 jet on it. Wind lifted him a few times. Another one almost went over backwards in a 14ft on Whitetail in the wind--I saw that one from shore.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Try pounding your way back into the waves in a flatbottom......you'll pucker so bad, you'll need exlax.
x2
Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Jackfish boat launch?

we just moved to Edmonton from Toronto, and we have a 21' bayliner. we want to head out to jackfish or something similar this weekend but are wondering if we are going to be able to get our boat in the water at the public launch.

any suggestions if jackfish won't work? something within 2 hours of the city?

thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM

jackfish will be a gong show; i would try wab over jackfish - the launch in the town of wabamun will handle any boat (the launch at wab likely to be buisy too; both charge. launch at wab PP should be deep enough for you, it's free, and tons of parking)
cheers
Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkfisher View Post
jackfish will be a gong show; i would try wab over jackfish - the launch in the town of wabamun will handle any boat (the launch at wab likely to be buisy too; both charge. launch at wab PP should be deep enough for you, it's free, and tons of parking)
cheers
Wabamun doesn't charge was there a week and a half ago , free .
Old 07-13-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Deep v's are nice but there aren't lakes in Alberta to really require one. No great lakes this way. People just get them to match their overkill trucks ......

The only waves you need worry about comes from the idiots who own master crafts and have no clue when it comes to water etiquette ... None
What part of Alberta do you live in. You go on a lake in So Alberta and the wind comes up and anyone in a flat bottom boat is hugging the shore crying for their mommy to help them home

The deeper the V the safer the boat, plain and simple. Flat bottoms are river boats
Old 08-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkfisher
cheers

Wabamun doesn't charge was there a week and a half ago , free .
was there again today, still charging 15 bucks to launch / park

cheers
Old 08-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkfisher View Post
was there again today, still charging 15 bucks to launch / park

cheers
i was at provincal park launch didnt pay today was at town launch friday and didnt pay . i did see some old guy with a radio on his belt hassling some guy then he just walkd into town. not sure if he was tryn to make the guy pay .
Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM

there is a big sign and a pay meter right along the roadway that leads to the launch. when i pulled up there was a line up of people to feed it. cash debit or credit - they will take it all

i'm way too cheap for that so i made the 5 min drive to the PP and launched there

cheers