Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
What? No rattlers?!

Kidding. Looks fantabulous.
Nope. But the next series of pics has something specifically for you.

Critters!

Pretty standard stuff. The immature bald eagle in the backyard was cool though. Even getting some spider shots was nice.

We did see some whales way out there but nothing worth sharing.

The coolest though was seeing a pair of mink doing their thing on the Halifax boardwalk.

Although.......getting ready for and welcoming a new calf to the farm was both a highlight and a gong show as well. The cow had her first one last year and hated it until the bitter end. Gave her another shot this year. Bugger broke out of the fine birthing area we worked so hard on at 1:30am an headed for the woods. Needless to say it was a bit of a long night. She ain't going to win 'Mother of the Year' anytime soon but the auction calls.

Oh yeah......taming some wild barn kittens was also a big part of my daughter's agenda. Results were mixed. lol

Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Ahhhh, nice gravid orb weaver!

But I also love bats. And calves. And I adore raptors. And pretty much everything, so really, that whole post was awesome.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 PM

Great stuff Tree, loved the guided tour and the photos !!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 PM

Thanks guys!

Time for a little history.....

First group is from the old graveyard in Halifax. The Titanic victims were buried long after this one was full and time did not permit paying our respects to them as well.

Most of these folks passed on in the early 1800's. Alexander Keith's wife is there along with the famous Robert Ross. The man who burnt the White House. lol

It was a very peaceful place.

Then no trip back home would be complete without paying a visit to my paternal grandparents. Someday I may share the tale of the grandfather I never met but not tonight. He spent 4 years as a German POW and left my father as head of the huge family at the tender age of 13.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 PM

The 'Shrubs'! Lol, I'll be chuckling all night...too funny! I know how much our kids love family visits to the maritimes! Cherish!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
The 'Shrubs'! Lol, I'll be chuckling all night...too funny! I know how much our kids love family visits to the maritimes! Cherish!
Thanks bud. They've been know as the 'Shrubs' around here for many years now. lol

Ok, we're near the end.

During our trip, Mrs Tree and I were blessed enough to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary together. I surprised her with a weekend trip to Halifax in a swanky joint! haha

What a fun town!

We had dinner on the rooftop of the Alexander Keith's brewery and then pub hopped for the rest of the evening hitting as many places as possible.

The town was alive! Seemed like every third place had a full patio and live music. On the boardwalk folks were partying on their boats, having strangers aboard (some stranger than others......), and just partaking in the festivities.

A highly enjoyable night on the town was had, and a memorable way to celebrate our 10th. God willing there's many more!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 PM

Just about done.

What would a Nova Scotia trip report be without some shots from the famous Peggy's Cove?

I took Mrs Tree there for her first time and it was fantastic. The drive down was amazing but there were a few too many humans there for my liking.

Ended up with wet feet trying to get a couple of shots in the 'death zone' and nearly getting swept off the rocks. Just another 'day in the office' for this fool though. lol

In this group, there is a pic of a pic from Hurricane Juan. The Atlantic can be a damn scary place, and the bas relief carving paying testiment to those lost is chilling to say the least.

We also took the time to visit the memorial to Swissair Flight 111 that plunged into the waters there several years back, claiming 229 souls. An eerie, yet peaceful place.

Pretty much my favorite shot of the trip came on this outing.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM

Well.......that's it folks. I hope you've enjoyed the ride.

Farewell Nova Scotia. You shall always hold a place in my heart.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Banned

Thank's ........ great pic's !!!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Such a nice place. Thanks for sharing with us! Can't get much better photos than those. Someone knows how to shoot.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Farewell Nova Scotia. You shall always hold a place in my heart.
You better get back to visit again!

I'd like to head that way myself sometime. Road Trip anyone?