Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2008, 07:41 PM

Default new to flyfishing

Father's day brought me a fly rod and I can't wait to give her a whirl. I signed up for a course in a few weeks but can't wait that long. I have the rod reel and some floating line, what else would I need. Flies would be the obvious answer but which ones and I heard I also need a leader of some sort.

As well if any of you wouldn't mind sharing a few spots down south where skill isn't always required.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 PM

sounds like your around the Calgary area....If you were in Edm. i'd take you out ..Unless you wanna come this way.I only fish lakes never tried the river but would love to.
Also google fishing the bow river and there is plenty of sites that show what flies to use.Good Luck
Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 AM

Sheeze, that's a big question. If you are in the Calgary area, hit Troutfitters (on Crowchild across from McMahon Stadium). They'll tell ya the best flies to get.

Stay the hell away from the Bow right now though (and alot of the South streams)! She is high, murky and fast. Probably at least a month away from starting to get ready.

Otherwise, learn how to cast and gently place your line accurately. The ability to read streams will come with time. It can sort of be taught, but every style is different, and every flyfisherman can catch fish in places that others can't. Strange thing, but it's the nature of the beast.

For instance, I've had some of my best sucess heading DOWNSTREAM and fishing nymphs by stripping against the current (no sh*t). Very small streams though.

Good luck, take everything you hear with a 'grain of salt' and learn for yourself. Casting is everything, and then it's entamology..........

Tree
Old 06-18-2008, 01:01 AM

I think that lakes with stocked rainbows are the easiest bodies of water to learn how to flyfish on. Basic flies for southern Alberta would include wooly buggers, pheasant tail nymphs, gold ribbed hair's ears, elk hair caddis, adams, and a few others. A weighted wooly bugger (black or green) stripped in will catch trout on most lakes / rivers. Try Beaver Mines Lake or Beauvais Lake... both are stocked with rainbows that are usually eager to feed.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM

I am reasonably new to fly fishing as well but I have had good luck at Winchell lake nw of Calgary near water valley using a sinking line with matching tippet and a pheasant tail nymph. If you do go, this lake has a boggy shore so if you plan to fish from shore your feet will likely get wet however there are a few abandoned beaver lodges witch are good to stand on.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Fish tales is a great shop for beginers also. Tie a 3 inch piece of yarn to the end of a 9 foot lenght of any monofiliment. Then you have to tie a 'nail knot' in between your Leader (monofilliment) and your fly line. Their a b1tch, so practice at home. There are nail-knot tools, or you can use a small section of tubing like a WD-40 spray tube. There are Loop to Loop connectors, but its best to make peace with the nail knot first.

Use the yarn to practice casting. Most common casting mistakes, is too much stroke, and too much power. You can cast with 2 fingers better then you'd think. Remember the "10 & 2", and snap the rod at each stop. You want the line to pull itself out.

First, pull out say 20' of line, then start with a backcast. You have to "false cast" a few times before you let your line rest on the water. But just practice false casting. Notice that the shorter your stroke, the smaller the "Loop", and vice versa. Some of your line will be traveling backwards, and some of it will be going forwards durring your cast. This 'bend' is called your Loop. Most of the time you want nice small loops.

Grab some books also, they can help out lots. Also videos are a great way to visualize casting. Check out 'flyfishcalgary.com' also.

Fly fishing will test your patients, and then some, so remember to keep cool and try to have fun without catching fish right away. The Bow makes you earn your first fish, and it's tough to learn on. Small streams, and lakes are great places to start, as mentioned.

I try to use something new, everytime I go out. When your learning the basics, start with one aspect of flyfishing, and keep at it till your comfortable, before trying something else. Forget the dry flies at first, and get yourself a bunch of San Juan Worms (SJW) of all sizes. Worms are the staple of the Bow trouts & whitefishs diet. Big and small. The flies Scott mentioned are the ones you'll use the most.

Get your flies at Wholesale sports to start with, cause you'll lose a lot, so quality won't matter.

Have fun.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:38 PM

great site for knot tying.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfi...matedknots.com