Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
I have been eating primal for a few months now and I have never felt better. My moods have evened out, no more cravings, no more binge eating..works for me but it may not be for everyone.

check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welco...#axzz25hglAEoi

the weight loss hasn't been monumental for me after going primal...but admittedly my activity level has fallen as well as I cheat every so often...but my energy levels are through the roof, my allergies were almost non existent this summer, I slept better, i was happier, i felt stronger....it works for me....your results may vary...
That's the route I went as well, and as you say, energy levels are much higher, as well as my general feeling of 'well-being'.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Smile Good for you!

I was O.K. with the diet part but the doc said MORE EXERCISE! And I knew I'd never stick to it so I bought a dog. She wants to go every day, always! No days off, no bad weather excuses. I have lost much weight but walk 2 miles a day and feel great and can hunt like I could 20 years ago.

My heart has appreciated it too and I don't have to take meds for diabetes any more.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 PM

I have fluctuated between 240 and 330 my whole adult life and lost gained 100 plus pounds a few times.
it is crazy how quick u gain it back if u slack in the slightest.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Well done sir.

I did dukan for 2 weeks, lost 13 lbs, than went off for 2 weeks, gained 2 back. Going to do the cycle again in September, see if the same progress. As long as my body can tolerate regular food following, seems like a good maintenance tool.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Banned

I gotta eat more .......... 151 !!!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
I gotta eat more .......... 151 !!!
The smaller you are the longer you live.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
I was actually a fat kid ..... weighed 195 at 13 ... struggled with weight all my life ... exersice is the key !!!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 PM

As of Sept 1st i start the neutral hills weight loss program, goes for 3 months, garanteed to loose weigh build cardio and lung capicity,,last year went from 270 to 225 in 3 months ,,this year not that drastic,, but will definately be under the 200 mark by the end of hunting season.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Tell that to Karen Carpenter.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 PM

It actually takes a bit of work an who gives a **** to be fat. I find if I cut beer and switch to vodka diet coke and eat the odd vegetable instead of a smokie and eat a pickle instead of a cookie for a bedtime snack I can cut about 20 pounds in two to three months
Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Well done sir.

I did dukan for 2 weeks, lost 13 lbs, than went off for 2 weeks, gained 2 back. Going to do the cycle again in September, see if the same progress. As long as my body can tolerate regular food following, seems like a good maintenance tool.
do you do it through a clinic or did you purchase a book etc.??
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo View Post
It actually takes a bit of work an who gives a **** to be fat. I find if I cut beer and switch to vodka diet coke and eat the odd vegetable instead of a smokie and eat a pickle instead of a cookie for a bedtime snack I can cut about 20 pounds in two to three months
Not everyone shares your metabolism, unfortunately.

I count every calorie. Every. Single. One.

I weigh my food so I can be as accurate as possible.

Stopped doing so for a few weeks over the summer - four pounds. And that's while hiking intensely, still abstaining from pop, but eating some larger meals, and drinking one or two beer a day. The most in any given day was three beer. And a couple-few treats over the vacation as well. But, I also hiked 50 miles or so over the same time period.

Anyway, the four pounds isn't the end of the world, and honestly, I wonder if it was all fat, or if some could have been muscle. All I know is that it's a lot easier to put on than it is to take off!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 AM

Lost a lot weight too. Feel so much better. Knees doing fine.
My secret is " friss die Haelfte" smaller portions!
I eat usually two times a day , not three times.
I don't start my day with bacon and eggs!
I think people eat to much bacon here.
And I drink a lot of water.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHunter View Post
What do you do for Okterfest??

I know I know friss die Haelfte
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 AM

I'm from Hamburg! That's in the north.
Oktoberfest is a Bavarian thing
I'm a "fish head"
Old 09-07-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
What do you do for Okterfest??

I know I know friss die Haelfte
Aber dazu darf mann zweimal so viel trinken...

(then you're allowed to drink twice as much, though...)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 AM

Stinky buffalo ...
Fluessig Brot ...
Always a pleasure to see that I'm not the only refugee here...

Waidmannsheil und fette Beute
Old 09-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I think it is the bread, pancakes or waffles that usually accompany the bacon...lol
Old 09-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Lol... if it is the white, sugary sandwich bread...
Try the rye bread.. just thoughts from a baker
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Caraway rye bread is the best!

Ingredients
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cups white rye, medium rye or pumpernickel flour
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
1/2 cup sour cream (low-fat is fine )
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour or first clear flour
3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten

Directions
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the water, sugar, rye flour and yeast, mixing to form a shaggy dough. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, and mix and knead the dough together — by hand, mixer or bread machine — till it’s fairly smooth. (Remember, the nature of rye dough is to be sticky, so don’t be tempted to add too much flour.) Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Gently deflate the dough, knead it briefly, and shape it into two smooth oval loaves. Place the loaves on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover them, and let them rise until they’re almost doubled, about 1 hour. Gently slash the tops of the loaves in two or three places just before baking.

Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 190°F to 200°F. Remove the bread from the oven, and allow it to cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 2 loaves.

Adapted from King Arthur Flour
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
fiber and taste wise yes....but the effect on your insulin levels is the same no matter what the bread. works for some people, but not for me.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
I count every calorie. Every. Single. One.

I weigh my food so I can be as accurate as possible.
That sounds like complete drudgery! While I need to drop mucho flabbo as well, I hope to do so by increasing the activity level as I like good food and I like booze, too. My 82 year old Mom says that BALANCE is the key to everything. So I figger to balance out my intake, the output has got to increase!

Now, I will head out for a nice walk after that double martini with three jumbo olives!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
That sounds like complete drudgery! While I need to drop mucho flabbo as well, I hope to do so by increasing the activity level as I like good food and I like booze, too. My 82 year old Mom says that BALANCE is the key to everything. So I figger to balance out my intake, the output has got to increase!

Now, I will head out for a nice walk after that double martini with three jumbo olives!
Food intake is critical to weight loss though. It's amazing - I can work out for an hour and not really burn that many calories, really.

I won't always have to do the food diary thing, but it's provides a map and a compass for nutrition and intake. One thing most overweight people have in common is that they have no real idea of how much calories they are consuming in a given day, or what they need.

It's a really good tool, and it keeps you accountable too.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Food intake is critical to weight loss though. It's amazing - I can work out for an hour and not really burn that many calories, really.

I won't always have to do the food diary thing, but it's provides a map and a compass for nutrition and intake. One thing most overweight people have in common is that they have no real idea of how much calories they are consuming in a given day, or what they need.

It's a really good tool, and it keeps you accountable too.
Your body will always use protein to help repair the muscles that are broken down, excess proteins will be disposed of. Carbs are what stores into your body as "fat." Even if you get 1 hour to workout a day, try to get 40 mins of weights done, then 20 minutes on a stair master or some sort of high intensity training (or 30 and 30). Muscles burn more calories then fat does, because your muscles need more calories to fuel them. Working with weights to gain extra muscle is very beneficial. Also doing cardio post weights (or first thing in morning) is ideal so you can go and burn into your fat stores. First thing in morning you have burnt through majority of carb stores in your sleep, and doing weights will also burn through alot of carbs because your muscles are using them as fuel.

Wow sorry for the ramble, but yes calorie intake is important in weight loss. Although your protein verse carb intake is very important too. Try to take in low glycemic foods for your carbs. (such as oatmeal, rice cakes, raspberries, sweet potatoes, etc.)
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM

I used to love going to the gym, but I could never find enough time to go. So I decided to workout at home. I lost 25 pounds in three months and dropped my Body Fat to 10%. We had our first baby three weeks ago so I wont be gping to the gym anytime soon. What surprised me the most is that i got better results at home that I ever got while I was going to the gym.

Once you're ready to change your lifestyle it's amazing what you can accomplish. I feel so much better than i did 2 years ago.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvayaAce View Post
I workout at Westside and get my supplements from Popeyes. About the only thing I get there is Glutamine and Superpump. I buy my protein at Costco.....$39.00 for a 5 lb tub..it seems okay.
same here.... The Costco protein is a pretty good whey isolate.....buy it in vanilla. And then add a squirt of your flavor choice of 0calorie MIO water flavoring.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
same here.... The Costco protein is a pretty good whey isolate.....buy it in vanilla. And then add a squirt of your flavor choice of 0calorie MIO water flavoring.
I find that Costco stuff (Kaizen brand) sour tasting. You can really taste the whey in it i find. Kaizen did make a great ephedrine pill back in the day that was 25mg though. That was awesome......
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 AM

It's been 1 year and 42 lbs gone. Karate 3-4 times a week. Didn't really change the diet except for my can a coke a night and some chips. Today my son and I are testing for new belts at Karate. He is the youngest at our studio to ever get his belts, this will be his 5th belt, he is 8 and been going for 2 1/2 years. This will be my 3rd belt, going for 1 year today, I will be the oldest to get this belt (52). I will say though, I don't feel much better due to the fact I am always sore and beat up from karate (lol), but I do see the benefits. I weigh less now than I did when I was 25. I could never diet, but excercize for me has been the difference. Good luck to all on their quest.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 AM

I went from a high of 212 down to 185lbs in under 10 months just by changing eating habits and watching calories. My job at the moment isn't really great for working out unless I get up at 3 am but I'm hoping to get into a routine of working out soon. Quitting smoking is hard, loosing the weight you gain quitting is hard, reaching your goals is priceless.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
It's been 1 year and 42 lbs gone. Karate 3-4 times a week. Didn't really change the diet except for my can a coke a night and some chips. Today my son and I are testing for new belts at Karate. He is the youngest at our studio to ever get his belts, this will be his 5th belt, he is 8 and been going for 2 1/2 years. This will be my 3rd belt, going for 1 year today, I will be the oldest to get this belt (52). I will say though, I don't feel much better due to the fact I am always sore and beat up from karate (lol), but I do see the benefits. I weigh less now than I did when I was 25. I could never diet, but excercize for me has been the difference. Good luck to all on their quest.
This is great. I always tell people that finding a fun and social physical activity that incorporates skill development is the best way to go. This way you will be looking forward to your next session as opposed to having to drag yourself there.

3-4 sessions a week is perfect.

Dieting can help you lose weight, but it fails to strengthen your heart and improve your overall cardio-respiratory system the way that exercise does.

Good for you for involving your child in such an activity and teaching them discipline, good habits, and how to achieve goals.