Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Default *newbie* gonna start hunting next year.

Hi everyone, I am 31 and want to start hunting next year. I would like to hunt deer and birds (ducks, geese and grouse, pheasents). I am waiting until the end of the season when hopefully most of the gear goes on sale except i dont really know what i need. I have a 30.06 rifle for big game, but still need a shotgun for the birds. As for equiptment i have no idea except for camo pants and jacket. I was looking at canadian tire at Yukon Gear, any good? it seemed ok. I need a knife, or series of knives. I have seen the Ruko knives at wholesale sports and seem to be in my price range. Let me know if those are any good and the long, long list of other things i need. Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 PM

sounds like you have a great start for your big game rifle. i'd recomend you grab a 22 if you don't have one already, ultimate practice machine.
as far as the shot gun, i'd look around for a used rem 870 wingmaster. not the express if you can afford it. it's always cheaper to buy once and be done with it, and a wingmaster in good shape will last you a lifetime for hunting.
when it comes to camo, grampa's bib overalls put food on the table for the first hundred years; as the stuff i've spent stupid money on wears out, i won't be replacing it.
maybe when i figure out how not to have any scent, make absolutely no noise, or move while heading out hunting, 'blending' in will be of some value.
good luck, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 PM

Lots of the season left I you have a firearms license and your hunter ed than might as well get started!!

Camo is over rated I use it but it's not needed its
More to make you feel like your hunting ..... Any earth tone clothing will work fine the most important part is to not be out in the open and easy to see.

30-06 has you covered for all big game in Alberta and 12 gauge Remington 870 for waterfowl and your set!!!

A drop point knife is what I prefer.... Ruko ain't to great but I'm sure it will get you through your first couple seasons just fine!!

Good luck
Mike
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 PM

that's freaky! nice reply mike, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Get yourself some good footwear,if your feet get wet, sore, and cold, you won't enjoy hunting very much.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
that's freaky! nice reply mike, lee
Lol yes very similar posts .... Great minds!!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
sounds like you have a great start for your big game rifle. i'd recomend you grab a 22 if you don't have one already, ultimate practice machine.
as far as the shot gun, i'd look around for a used rem 870 wingmaster. not the express if you can afford it. it's always cheaper to buy once and be done with it, and a wingmaster in good shape will last you a lifetime for hunting.
when it comes to camo, grampa's bib overalls put food on the table for the first hundred years; as the stuff i've spent stupid money on wears out, i won't be replacing it.
maybe when i figure out how not to have any scent, make absolutely no noise, or move while heading out hunting, 'blending' in will be of some value.
good luck, lee
Thanks for the advice! I do have a 22. I bought my 30.06 for the range as well as hunting, i am just getting into reloading and knew i would need the .22 to shoot while the big gun cools off. I do have my PAL, but i do not have my hunter's ed certificate yet. Being new to firearms this year, i want to practice mor before i go hunting. I might get the camo gear at canadian tire anyways because it felt really warm. Any suggestions on boots? i was on WWS site looking but you can't really shop online for boots.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relearner View Post
Thanks for the advice! I do have a 22. I bought my 30.06 for the range as well as hunting, i am just getting into reloading and knew i would need the .22 to shoot while the big gun cools off. I do have my PAL, but i do not have my hunter's ed certificate yet. Being new to firearms this year, i want to practice mor before i go hunting. I might get the camo gear at canadian tire anyways because it felt really warm. Any suggestions on boots? i was on WWS site looking but you can't really shop online for boots.
Stop by cabelas I like my Meindels Perfekts good boots can range from 150-600 so be prepared...mine are 300 fyi
Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 PM

If your looking at just game bird and not migratory bird, you could get away with a .22, a 410 or 20 gauge in my opinion is a better choice. That being said right now all I have in my gun case is a 30-06 and .22 . Personally I agree with the other posters there is loads of time to get ready for this years hunting season if your using rifle. Very few seasons are open right now, (where we hunt in the foothills does'nt open till the 17), and there a many you have to wait till nov to hunt. You could take the online hunters ed course, there is a sticky in the main hunting section. Hell even if you got your hunters ed course you could go out for just grouse with the .22 and you never know you might see something else (as long as your packing the 30-06 and appropriate tags). As for things you might need, not already mentioned, gps (even if just from phone, i run cabelas recon hunt from iphone), flagging tape, scent blocking items, scent attracting items, binocs, a good backpack, some eqiup to hang the animal if big game. Lots of this stuff is optional and can be acquired over years.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Any suggestions on boots? i was on WWS site looking but you can't really shop online for boots.
as far as boots go, i would suggest checking out red wing shoes, their irish setters are great, i have the elk hunters (600 gram thinsulate), they are incredible boots and absolutely water proof.
i think wholesale sells them for about 290, at the red wing shoe store, all of their boots are 30% cheaper, i think i ended up paying about 220 for mine.
good luck, boots are far more important than most people realize

Schian
Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 AM

boots, boots, boots. and then buy another pair, just to be safe. i have boot options that work in the desert and the artic. took me a long time to figure out what works for me. you don't have to spend a small fortune but quailty usually has a price.

good luck...
Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Banned

post your location. the best way to learn is to have a mentor
Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Seasons still early, go cover some ground and do some scouting even if you don't plan on hunting this year.
No harm in knowing where to start for next year.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Default Knifes

For knives I think the out door edge kody pack with the saw is one of the best sets to have and good blades to not the cheapest but not to bad.
I bought the set with out the saw and kick my self every year so last year I bought the saw but would be nice to have the 3 pice ****h.