Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Hunting with Friends

So heres the deal:

Last time I went out hunting I hunted with a friend who had neither his PAL nor his Hunters ed. At no point was he ever in possession of the firearm, he just came along to see what it was like.

My question is this:

He wants to get into hunting. He started his Hunters Ed Program online, so once he finishes, what are the regulations?

Can he buy an upland bird license or a deer tag and use one of my guns? Does he have to be under my supervision at all times? or Does he need his PAL before he gets his licenses/tags (making the hunters ed useless unless you have your PAL)?

Can someone help me out here? I will be going through the hunting regs shortly, but I figured someone may be able to give some insight before I scan the entire regulation booklet.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
So heres the deal:

Last time I went out hunting I hunted with a friend who had neither his PAL nor his Hunters ed. At no point was he ever in possession of the firearm, he just came along to see what it was like.

My question is this:

He wants to get into hunting. He started his Hunters Ed Program online, so once he finishes, what are the regulations?

Can he buy an upland bird license or a deer tag and use one of my guns? Does he have to be under my supervision at all times? or Does he need his PAL before he gets his licenses/tags (making the hunters ed useless unless you have your PAL)?

Can someone help me out here? I will be going through the hunting regs shortly, but I figured someone may be able to give some insight before I scan the entire regulation booklet.
From what I remember of my courses as long as your with him while he is in possession of your firearm and he has his hunting license and tags its all legal... Now the tricky part is that unless YOU have a game tag in your pocket you might get slapped for hunting without a license even tho your just providing the means for your friend to hunt.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 AM

after the hunter ed, he can buy all the tags he desires...

he can also use your firearm but you MUST be present to supervise...

the firearm training course is quick and easy (many options). he should get it BEFORE you take him hunting. with all the excitement of hunting, a trajic accident could happen due to lack of training.

good luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Ya no need for a PAL Eric.

You could use a bow to take the animals like I do and don't have a PAL.

Like mentioned he would just need to be supervised by you if he is shooting a firearm that you own.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Now the tricky part is that unless YOU have a game tag in your pocket you might get slapped for hunting without a license even tho your just providing the means for your friend to hunt.
This is important, as you are assisting him with his hunt. You aren't just an observer. You are enabling him to use the gun. So strikes me you need tags too.