Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Default Late oct moose?

My calling season tag is being interrupted with an out of province wedding. I will be back on the 16th will calling still work for the last 3 weeks or should I be bush bashing looking for the swamp donkey?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:27 PM

I hope so cause that is when I get a chance to go for my moose as well!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Banned

When you get the first snowfall try and get out within about 2-4 days after. Moose usualy arent moving around a whole lot right after the rut so even if you can find tracks a couple days old theres a good chance they will lead you to the general area that the moose (and quite often a few of his buddys) are hanging out in. IMO moose at this point are more predictable than during the rut, if you can find an area where they are feeding right after the rut it can be your ace in the hole for many seasons to come. The best of luck.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Thanks that may help if we get snow in October up in 530
Old 10-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Thanks that may help if we get snow in October up in 530
There is almost always at least one good snowfall in october in my neck of the woods. I've killed more bucks at that point than during the rut, and found some real moose honey holes as well.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:26 PM

They have a second rut at the end of october. The big boys are less active, but the younger bulls still hope for there chance. I had bulls come to the call until early november.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:28 PM

I once saw a bull mount a cow on November 2 . Let him finish then squeezed the trigger
Old 10-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Yup, calling will work right into November, just not as well.
And they don't talk back nearly as much.

But as always, find them, then call them.
I know it sounds silly but by find I don't mean see them. Find fresh sign, if there is no sign, there's a good chance they aren't close enough to hear you anyway.

Another trick to late season calling. Cow call only. They might come to a Bull grunt but it's not likely. Remember, they have already established who's the boss and they have bred most of the cows. There isn't a lot for them to fight about any more.

But like any travelling salesman, they are always on the lookout for a hot date.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
I once saw a bull mount a cow on November 2 . Let him finish then squeezed the trigger
That was very considerate on your part.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
They have a second rut at the end of october. The big boys are less active, but the younger bulls still hope for there chance. I had bulls come to the call until early november.
Awesome news. I have a antlered tag for 346 for nov 1-30. I wasnt even going to try calling but I will now. Thanks for the tip. I prefer a little guy anyway for meat quality.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Yup, calling will work right into November, just not as well.
And they don't talk back nearly as much.

But as always, find them, then call them.
I know it sounds silly but by find I don't mean see them. Find fresh sign, if there is no sign, there's a good chance they aren't close enough to hear you anyway.

Another trick to late season calling. Cow call only. They might come to a Bull grunt but it's not likely. Remember, they have already established who's the boss and they have bred most of the cows. There isn't a lot for them to fight about any more.

But like any travelling salesman, they are always on the lookout for a hot date.
I will look for a cow call. All I have is a coffee can call.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I will look for a cow call. All I have is a coffee can call.
A cow call is easier then a bull call to imitate with you voice.
It's not hard to learn or to get good enough for the call to work.

Moose are like people, they each sound different so you don't need to get it just right, close is usually good enough.

If you were to find a recording online and listen to it while you practice imitating it, that should work as well as having someone teach you.

One good thing about calling Moose, they have incredible hearing, if you find fresh sign they will more then likely be close enough to be able to hear you.

That works in your favour if you are trying to call them, but it works against you if you are trying to stalk them.

With that in mind, I wouldn't do a lot of calling in one place. And keep in mind that they will probably want to try to get downwind of you before they come in. I would recommend at least and hour at one location and then move a couple of miles or more.
They will be far more cautious then they are during the peek of the rut.
Don't expect them to answer you and be patient, give them time to make their way to you. Look more then listen.

LOL, look at me, sounding like a uncle or something.
I don't know what experience you have, who knows maybe you know more then I do about calling. But it never hurts to cove all bases.

I hope you take all of this in the spirit it is given, as wishes for a successful hunt.

Best of luck! And remember, keep your powder dry!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 PM

Very little experience calling. I usually spot and stalk. I appreciate your help uncle Keg.

Checking you tube for cow call demo's as we speak.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Default what about hunting the cow in Nov.

Great info here if you have a bull tag, what is a fella to do that has a Nov. cow tag. Mine is in 151. FS
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Great info here if you have a bull tag, what is a fella to do that has a Nov. cow tag. Mine is in 151. FS
I think looking for a cow/calf moose that time of year will be the same from a 540's WMU to a 150's WMU...Cover alot of ground by whatever mode of transportation you choose looking for moose sign. They'll be eating lots this time of year. Once you find an area with more moose sign than other areas you looked, start spending time in that area, glassing, following tracks, sitting and waiting.

In my experience when cows/calves get on a good food source that time of year they won't go far as long as they aren't being disturbed too much.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Thanks big jon
Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 PM

Something that will be a bit different that I didn't think of before is that most the land down there will be either privately held or under some sort of agricultural disposition...wich may make covering alot of ground looking for sign a little more difficult than doing it up north here where there is plenty of good moose country on vacant crown land. Peraps start picking apart google earth imagery to find "moosey" areas before you start burning fuel.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM

Default Rutting Seasons

Guys, there is a very simple rule to Elk,moose and deer hunting. Elk rut in September,moose in October and deer in November. They have a second estures usually a month later if not bred so cow moose have bulls around well into November but obviously less activity. We have seen as many as 10 moose with bulls milling around in November over the years so late October is still active rut. Hope this helps.