Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Default which tag do I use?

That's what I jokingly asked myself after I flipped over the whitetail I shot on thursday afternoon.
The poor confused youngster had all the parts for both sexes, boy parts, girl parts,including teats.
His/her headgear was a tiny 4x3, maybe 2 years old...should be great meat, but I've definitely never seen an undercarriage like that before.

This may be the first year I'll shoot "3 does".
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

By the way....I skinned and deboned the entire deer from field to freezer with a disposable blade utility knife....worked awesome, I may never break out another hunting knife again!

For anyone about to call F&W....I used my general tag, the supplementals are still in my pack.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Banned

LOL.........I've heard of it but I've never seen it. If you have any pictures I'd definitely be interested in seeing them.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM

I had one like that a few years back... Made me wonder as well... But I figured that since the antlers were bigger than 3"... General tag it is... Enjoy your he/she deer... should be tasty...
Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM

That's a pretty good question, but personally bI'd do the same as you did- tag it with your antlered tag.
After all, it WAS an antlered buck/doe/whatever you were looking at!
Cat
Old 10-07-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That's a pretty good question, but personally bI'd do the same as you did- tag it with your antlered tag.
After all, it WAS an antlered buck/doe/whatever you were looking at!
Cat
Freudian slip? Lol

I don't think they like to be called bi

Any pics?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:04 PM

This is a prime example of why the antlered/antlerless designations in the regulations, make more sense than having buck/doe designations.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Pics would b awesome! Never even heard of such a critter!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This is a prime example of why the antlered/antlerless designations in the regulations, make more sense than having buck/doe designations.
Exactly. I believe that that is precisely the reason that the "antlered/antlerless" terminology was introduced. If the antlers are of the requisite length, even if the genitalia are female, the deer is antlered. Sounds like a cool animal...I would also be interested in seeing pics, if you've got them. I wonder if both sets of reproductive organs were viable, or if only one set was reproductively capable, even though both were present?

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Exactly. I believe that that is precisely the reason that the "antlered/antlerless" terminology was introduced. If the antlers are of the requisite length, even if the genitalia are female, the deer is antlered. Sounds like a cool animal...I would also be interested in seeing pics, if you've got them. I wonder if both sets of reproductive organs were viable, or if only one set was reproductively capable, even though both were present?
Gotta agree with you here .. More than 4" of antler ? It requires the antlered tag . We have a whitey doe running around the place folowed by 2 fawn and she has 5-6 " velvet covered spikes ! Love to take her , but can't with my doe tag [antlerless] and not about to use up the buck tag [antlered ].. Been here for 2 years .
Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 PM

- no pics of the parts in question, I thought about it, but was feeling more like a hunter, and less like a biologist at the time, so more knife, less camera was the result.

- I was putting the antlered tag on it right from the start, as Cat said, I saw a buck, and was surprised it was a doe, not the other way around.
definitely over 4" (is that the actual law?), but not much, lol, a "steaknife" buck for sure. I was putting my general tag on it all the way, the thread title was just for laughs.

- I highly recommend any serious bone hunters come with me for the rest of the season, as taking this deer with my general tag guarantees I'll see nothing but monsters and booners from now till December!

- by the way, my 11 y/o daughter was with me, we had an awesome hunt with lots of laughs, a great experience for both of us, she was a huge help after the shot, great food (liver and oinions that night!) and just an unforgettable weekend all around.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 PM

That's why the regs stipulate "antlered" and "antlerless" and not "male" or "female"

....For exactly the reason described....if the headgear was less than 4 inches you would have been legal to use a supplemental antlerless tag.

LC
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Is that 4" net or gross ?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM

Tag it as antlered then contact f&w to see what they think