Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Default Are we turning into New York City??

I know we live a hectic life but this blew me away this morning;
Trying to get downtown from the south, I'm driving along Flint rd just north of Heritage by the Winners shopping plaza and the parking lot is almost empty when I notice someone laying on their side in the middle of the lot. I watched as a car that pulled in slowly drive right by this woman!!!
I pulled in at the next entrance and circled around back to where she lay.
She had fallen on the Ice couldnt get up, as she had landed right on her bad knee. I helped her up and she was walking to work (a walk-in clinic no less) but still had a couple hundred yards to go. I almost fell on the snow covered ice myself, it was so slippery, so I hellped her into my vehicle, drove across the lot and helped her into her building.
But I just couldn't believe a person drove right past her without offering to help.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Default karma is a bitch I say...

C D what goes around comes around...
It does take a special person to investigate a suspicious set of circumstances.
I hope, you did take a few moments to assess the situation for your own personal safety though.
Good for you.
Rob
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Good on you Calgary Dave, good karma is in the bank. I have done the same, circled around and checked on a guy laying just off a sidewalk in the grass. This guy was homeless and told me to f off and let him sleep when i asked if he was ok. This is a me me me society for some and they could care less about checking to see if she was ok. Terrible that the first car didnt stop, at least drive by, roll down your window if your scared and ask.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM

In New York she'd be mugged &/or raped, so we're still ahead! Still it's pretty sad to see.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM

saw the same thing a long time ago while driving truck. An older lay on the street with her bicycle beside her . Cars driving by , I stopped the truck and she had broken her leg . I had to literally stop traffic and get a couple to go to firehall down the road for help . Course first thing the firefighter asked is if I hit her . Lady informed him I was the only one who stopped , all was well and I carried on . Good on you for stopping
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
I know we live a hectic life but this blew me away this morning;
I notice someone laying on their side in the middle of the lot. I watched as a car that pulled in slowly drive right by this woman!!!
I just couldn't believe a person drove right past her without offering to help.
I was on a busy mainstreet and i witnessed something quite similar to this,a young crippled 20 something yr old (who could for some reason still ride a bicycle) fell off it. and became trapped within the wheels/pedal and had no leverage to get up. I drove past the 1st time as no parking was available to pull over. So i looped around taking probably another 3-5mins thinking someone else probably beat me to his aid now,then arrived and there he was, still stuck under the bike helplessly on the sidewalk laying there. I helped him up and off he went with not a "gee,thank you", though i didn't care about such gestures as would do such in a heartbeat again!
My point is this was over 10yrs ago,so NO we are not turning into NY.

Also i should note, if people don't want to stop to meddle in situations like these>let them be free with that!<
Sometimes more than often you just never know what you may be getting yourself into. Sometimes when you aid someone you may find you are suddenly in demand of a police officer because now you just inherited a mental defective who refuses to get out of my car after a freely offered ride.
Please don't just dish out "karma's a Bi***", statements because there are endless stories of samaritan's whom ended up dead in ditches for stopping at someones distress,you just never know the spin life may completely change your day whether good or bad.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012101...-Macomb-County

Last edited by tri777; 10-23-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 PM

I once had a very nice older gentleman approach me when I was walking out of a Chinese restaurant with me dinner under my arm. He said that his car had broken down and he needed some help. Got him in the car and ran to my home with him to drop off dinner for my waiting wife. The old gent came in as well and met my wife. I then went to take him to get his car. That's when it sort of fell apart for him. He couldn't remember where the car was, what kind, what color, or even where he lived. I drove him to the firehall near my house and talked with the firefighters, who assured me they would help him out.

Got a call later that night from the firefighters that the man was suffering from Alzheimers, and that they had managed to re-unite him with his son who was going crazy trying to find him.

I'd do it again, and would hope that if one of my family was in the same boat, someone would help out as well.

Cheers

"The will to be stupid is a powerful force"
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
C D what goes around comes around...
It does take a special person to investigate a suspicious set of circumstances.
I hope, you did take a few moments to assess the situation for your own personal safety though.
Good for you.
Rob
takes an even more 'special' person to ignore, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned

And it's just not the city. Was off to the gas station and an older guy was walking back towards a traffic light. When I made it back to the light, the old guy was down and leaning onto the the light stand. He was obviously in trouble. Four lanes of traffic, I was in the outside lane heading away. By the time I circled back through two light changes, the only one to stop was an Indian fellow ( that's right - a real live Canadian Indian). I got the old guy loaded in my truck with the help of the Indian fellow and headed to the hospital.

Two things learned:
1) Probably 200 people saw him laying there and did sweet tweet!
2) I took the old guy to the hospital rather than have the Indian guy blamed for hurting him.

The joys of living in Alberta!

slo....
Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM

A couple of winters ago I was waiting for a bus with a crowd of people. When it stopped, a old lady with a cane was having a real problem getting down the steps and on to the slippery sidewalk. I was astounded that those nearest the door didn't even offer her an arm.
I went to shoulder my way through to help her when 2 teenagers, both boys, appeared out of nowhere and helped her down the steps, and saw to it that she got to the sandy part of the sidewalk safely.

I showed my appreciation to the crowd by arrogantly shoving to the front to get on first and grab a good seat - and I actually got dirty looks.

Go figure.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:42 PM

Good job c .d