Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM

Default wood pellets

Hello out there! Was looking for some better places to get wood pellets other than the local canadian tire! Are there any suggestions around edmonton? How much are people paying per pag on full pallets of them?
Thanks for the tips in advance!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 PM

There was a thread at: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=51583
Don't know if it is still pertinent or not...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post
Hello out there! Was looking for some better places to get wood pellets other than the local canadian tire! Are there any suggestions around edmonton? How much are people paying per pag on full pallets of them?
Thanks for the tips in advance!
Can't remember exactly what I paid but I picked up a pallet last year at Wainwright co-op. I think the price when buying by the pallet was .75/bag cheaper but don't quote me. It was definitely cheaper than Canadian tire though. If you find a better price let me know as I'll be looking for another pallet before too long. Thanks Mark
Old 10-08-2012, 10:39 PM

Bob at factory direct in Vegreville sells them , and cheaper than in town , plus you can fuel up cheaper also .
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 PM

The guys that haul my grain to the coast haul pellets out here then back haul for me. I could look into a bulk load for you. Probably not feasible for you I know. Lol. You guys could split a load.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
The guys that haul my grain to the coast haul pellets out here then back haul for me. I could look into a bulk load for you. Probably not feasible for you I know. Lol. You guys could split a load.
That's probably the way to do it, I've got bin space. Mine burns wheat too, how bout you sell me some on the cheap! Lol Thanks hbr
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohr74 View Post
That's probably the way to do it, I've got bin space. Mine burns wheat too, how bout you sell me some on the cheap! Lol Thanks hbr
If you have a grain burner, why not check the local elevator. A friend of mine gets wheat with a bit of ergot in it for free.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM

Speaking of ergot, I believe the seed cleaning plant at Alliance setup a pelleting mill just to deal with ergot. The local landfill wouldn't take it anymore. Might be worth looking into.

Edit:
Maybe not. Just found an article in the Camrose paper saying no projects had gone ahead for pelleting in the area. Call the seed plants they might sell you some ergot to try in your stove.

Or just eat some, you may get the illusion of warmth. no don't do that.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 10-09-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Did a little calling around and here were our findings:

Wainwright Canadian Tire: $5.99/bag(no pallet price)
Wainwright Co-op: $5.49/bag or pallet price of $315(65x40lb bags@about $4.84/bag)
Vegreville Factory Direct: $5.95/bag(no pallet price)
Edmonton Wood and Energy Store: $6.64/bag or pallet price of $255.50(50x40lb bags)