Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 AM

Default "Cuban Missile Crisis" 50 Years Ago! Lessons for today

50 years ago one of the most potentially dangerous events took place - The Cuban Missile Crisis! Was it diplomacy or firm resolve that put an end to it while the world held it's breath? What lessons were learned that can be applied today? Are we prepared or are we complacent to the dangers that threaten our way of life?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 AM

Not sure what the lesson is, but Fidel Castro is the only one of the three leaders involved, who's still kicking and Cuba hasn't changed much either.

Grizz
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 AM

And I don't think he's doing much kicking lately either. We as a society are pretty damned complacent imo.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 AM

Lessons: better intel, better observation (satellites anyone?), the Russkies are now our friends for the most part (still a little peeved on them buying intel from our Navy double agent though).

These days it's mostly rogue nations like North Korea and Iran to pay the most attention to instead of USSR and their little puppet Cuba.

There's still got to be tons of cloak & dagger going on, but keeping with the nature of that business, we'll never know. Our kids & grandkids might find out a few details well after the fact, but the really secret stuff will remain so.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 AM

What was learned? The Russians are somewhat sane so can be jolted and/or intimidated. Iran probably can be too. North Korea? All bets off on those psychos.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Lesson learned at that time was respect the other side's sphere of influence.

This is still a lesson today. when Georgia was invaded by a Russian backed army on the basis of a majority ethnic group wanting sovreignity, the US basically stood back and watched. Thus, no conflict.

Geopolitics sure can be fun. When right wing death squads ran rampant in Central and South America, putting down leftist movements, the Russians stepped back.

As for Iran, I am worried by their extensive ties with China. This is not so much about ideology for China, but about oil supply. This is a dangerous situation, as its not an issue of right or wrong for China, but who gets the prize.

Drewski
Old 10-23-2012, 06:23 AM

While the rogue nations are definately a threat, Russia and China are always there to support them in the useless U.N.. I would not trust the Soviets or Red China any more today than 50 years ago. For us/America to put any trust in any of these obvious threats will result in a weaker free world that is already quite obvious to those that care to observe. The pressure was not maintained and you can see what the result is. Resolve must be maintained hence we lose, simple as that.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
And I don't think he's doing much kicking lately either. We as a society are pretty damned complacent imo.
I tend to agree with you Matt.

We'd be wise to, to borrow a line from last evening's debate between O and M, keep the 'bayonets' sharp and clean and the 'horses' well fed and shod!

Having a 'big stick' handy helps diplomacy do its job.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Yup the west will be the cause of our own downfall. To much political correctness BS these days!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
I tend to agree with you Matt.

We'd be wise to, to borrow a line from last evening's debate between O and M, keep the 'bayonets' sharp and clean and the 'horses' well fed and shod!

Having a 'big stick' handy helps diplomacy do its job.
Of course.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 AM

Default It is different now.

The biggest threat IMO is not a state or government attack, that would invite annihilation from the country it attacked but these numerous terrorist groups funded , I'm not sure how, who attack us with impunity.

Much better Intel is the only thing I can think of, but there may be better ideas.