Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM

When we were in Sandpoint last summer, we ran into a couple from Kimberly who drove down specifically to buy the BGE from a specialty BBQ shop. They said, even with the gas and the two nights hotel (need to stay 48 hours to avoid duty) they still saved a few hundred bucks buying it in the states.

Now I wish I paid more attention to where they bought it and how much it was
Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
When we were in Sandpoint last summer, we ran into a couple from Kimberly who drove down specifically to buy the BGE from a specialty BBQ shop. They said, even with the gas and the two nights hotel (need to stay 48 hours to avoid duty) they still saved a few hundred bucks buying it in the states.

Now I wish I paid more attention to where they bought it and how much it was
Just a heads up. Don't buy it in Idaho if you can help it. They charge you sales tax. Montana has no sales tax and if you cross over into Washington, most retailers won't charge you the sales tax. Idaho must charge you if you buy it there.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 PM

I bought the Canadian tire Vision Komado pro that was on sale today was $699 came with the cover the shelves and the round lava stone. I made a mistake and bought the wrong type of charcoal briqettes but it still did a nice job smoking some salami for supper with some meaquite chips. Its a heavy duty unit and looks like it should last online reviews I read said the company looks after the customer after the sale very well.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 PM

Ok so I talked to my buddy who has a green egg imitation. He loves it. Sounds like he spends a lot of time with it cooking and smoking all kinds of things - smoked pulled pork shoulder last weekend, couple of smoked beer can chickens, smoked fish, pizza, ribs you name it. He did buy the original green egg ceramic pizza plate (?) from BBQ country. Sounds like he's addicted to it actually. He seems to think that the beauty of the thing is that is uses charcoal chunks, gets damm hot, and holds its heat.

Grilling season? 365 days/yr.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 PM

only issue I have run into is no one seems to have any lump charcoal in Lloydminster I bought the last bag Canadian tire had and everywhere else had all there bbq stuff all stashed away and was to lazy to go look. Will have to grab some in a real city I guess.