Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Default SOCAN & Resound

Has anyone ever dealt with these companies? SOCAN collects royalties for copyrighted Canadian music artists. Apparently all places of business that host live events, play background music or have a television set ?must? pay about $95/year(minimun) to this company, irregardless of what channel the set is tuned to. I operate a golf course and our Television is either tuned to Golf or News(no music) we host no live events/weddings/dances etc...and we play no background music in the clubhouse. The lady I spoke with told me that sometimes during sporting events they play background music during the event and that music is copyrighted and the music can be heard through the television...for this reason we ?MUST? have a Socan License.(I don't recall a lot of background music on the PGA Tour) Resound is a company that collects previous years of royalties for years passed without possessing a Socan Licence. Quite a little shock to get the mail yesterday and have $800 in invoices for Canadian copyright infringement for watching the news and Golf Channel? I can understand if you were a bar, dance club, restaurant that plays music...Anyone have similar dealings? Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM

The way I see it at the very least you you now have a $895 credit for downloading music guilt free for use at your business. Go nuts and stick it to em that way if nothing else.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Angry

Boy, that sucks!! I think it is just another money grab...Here is an interesting article about it:

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/?company=socan

I personally feel if an artist can't make enough money on the merits of the own talent, then why should the rest of us have to help bankroll them? The whole thing just irritates me no end...

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 PM

Every year I get a small rather insignificant cheque from SOCAN. It's good to know I have some one looking out for my rights as a creator.

I've never been on the other side of the deal though, so I can't comment too much on that.

D