Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Default Toyo winter tires

Just wondering if anyone here has or has ever run Toyo winter tires on their vehicle, I am going to look at some tonight. They are mounted on rims and by the picture & price seem to be pretty good deal.

Thx Gillfisher
Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Wife runs toyo go-2plus on here car and they work like a hot dam push snow with the bumper and no prob on ice eather I just bought house brand winter tires and studed them for my 3/4t truck and they work good to. I would recomanded them (toyo winter tires) to any one
Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Just installed another set of Open Country on my 3500 this past week... I'm averaging about 85,000 out of a set on the work trucks, great tire IMO.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 AM

TOYO M55,s are junk! Don,t know about their other tires though.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:38 AM

I just put my Toyo GSi5's back on my truck this week. I am very happy with them. They are the ones with crushed Walnut shells in them.

If the tires you are looking at are Toyo Winter tires and have adequate tread depth, you'll be happy with them.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillfisher View Post
Just wondering if anyone here has or has ever run Toyo winter tires on their vehicle, I am going to look at some tonight. They are mounted on rims and by the picture & price seem to be pretty good deal.

Thx Gillfisher
Have GO2 Observes on my small commute vehicles- Directional- walnut winter tires.

Had M55's on my old hunting Burbs. Not a winter tire.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 AM

As a company, we used to run Toyo O/C, seemed to get only 55,000kms out of them. I must say on the ice they were pretty decent but they werent the best at dredging throw the snow.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Toyo winter tires

Thanks to all for the prompt replies I have never had winter tires before, Iect I will purchas these ones if they look like they do in the photos

Gillfisher
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Just installed another set of Open Country on my 3500 this past week... I'm averaging about 85,000 out of a set on the work trucks, great tire IMO.
Are those mt's?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
As a company, we used to run Toyo O/C, seemed to get only 55,000kms out of them. I must say on the ice they were pretty decent but they werent the best at dredging throw the snow.
Hum, getting over 80 for sure, one tons and 3/4 chev and dodge. Probably 75% black top and 25% stone and trail... Funny, looking at maintenance records, rotations don't happen often either
Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Don't know about the winter tires, but the all seasons that came on our new vehicle wore out in 40,000 kms. I wouldn't buy their tires again.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Go to www.Tirerack.com, pick the tire you're thinking about and read the reviews. Awesome website. Personally I run the Blizzack WS60 and WS70 on our vehicles. Awesome snow tires, and "No" they don't wear out that fast as people say they do.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 AM

I had a set of Toyo's previous generation Garit winter tires on an all wheel drive Passat wagon I used to have, the only thing that I wouldn't drive in was where my ground clearance wouldn't allow me. The traction and braking you get from a set of dedicated winter tires is very reassuring. They too had the very small splintered walnut shells in the as ice gripper "spikes" like in New Hunter Okotoks noted in his truck tires, they're very small though, I was never able to see any in the tread. I don't know about Bridgestones present Blizzak line, but I know they used to be essentially half "sponge" on the outer half of their tread and that the ice traction benefit of that construction is gone after half the tread is worn down and that the treadwear was somewhat rapid; the Toyo's maintain their full traction until the treads totally worn. We run Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip Ice tire on my wifes car, they'll be due for replacement next year after 6 winters. I'll never be without snow & ice tires again, and all our next vehicles will be AWD cars/SUV's or 4WD trucks.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Hum, getting over 80 for sure, one tons and 3/4 chev and dodge. Probably 75% black top and 25% stone and trail... Funny, looking at maintenance records, rotations don't happen often either
Typically I ran 50/50 stone and gravel compared to hi-way so my tires took a beating. The tires were also pretty soft and chunked off with all the backroads I had to take.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM

I'm in need of a new set of tire soon. I've been looking at the Toyo Open Countries in a 275/65R-18. Toyo has the OC2 coming out in January and my cost a tad over $1500. Priced in Montana my cost $750 in stock now.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
TOYO M55,s are junk! Don,t know about their other tires though.
X2 and 505's didn't work any better for me.

Have good experience with their open countries and they were ok heve went through about 3 sets of them. Yoko Geolander's were soso. Running some firestones for kicks right now, as they were pretty value priced.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM

We just changed from Toyo Wintertires to Hankook at work. Main reason was cost and availability. Having said that we ran the Toyos year round on our rigs. We average about 36000miles a year on each of our trucks. I'd say we ran about 70/30 paved/dirt. As for dirt well we live where there is no such thing as a "good" dirt road. They are all rocky rutted out goat trails. lol I also had them on a 2008 Focus and I'd definately buy them again if I ever needed to. THey worked very well!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Banned

Default nokian

I went with Nokian hakkas studded from the factory, they are amazing!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boounga View Post
I went with Nokian hakkas studded from the factory, they are amazing!
I had some studded Nokian Hakkapelitta LT's and they're simply awesome, I hope they've been expanding the size lineup.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM

I put a set of Toyo Open Country MT's on my 2012 F350. When I got them, they were essentially wore out, I wanted to see if I would like them for run around tires.
They look good, likely are wonderful in mud because of the huge lugs and sidewall tread, but they are VERY heavy, useless on ice, decent in snow.

They would be great studded, or even if they had sypes, but as is they suck in winter is what I am hearing.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I put a set of Toyo Open Country MT's on my 2012 F350. When I got them, they were essentially wore out, I wanted to see if I would like them for run around tires.
They look good, likely are wonderful in mud because of the huge lugs and sidewall tread, but they are VERY heavy, useless on ice, decent in snow.

They would be great studded, or even if they had sypes, but as is they suck in winter is what I am hearing.
You could always get them siped! Alot of guys down here in MT tires with big lugs like the MT's and have them siped before winter.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
You could always get them siped! Alot of guys down here in MT tires with big lugs like the MT's and have them siped before winter.
Ohhhhhhh......

Hey can you price out 35 12.50 20 mt's down there? If you get a chance sometime.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Not a problem Vette!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:14 PM

I looked at the Nokian 7's studded. If you guys that have the Nokian's, and if you have them on a pick-up I was wondering how they performed off road in hilly country with snow? I looked at them and figured they would be excellent for roads but wasn't sure if they had a wide enough tread for snow covered grassy hills. Ended up getting the Mottomaster all terrain winter tires. They are being put on right now in fact. They were half the price of the Nokians.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 PM

Tested the tires and they are as good a tire as I'd hoped they would be on icy roads. Actually kind of exceeded my expectations.