Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Hunting moose with a shotgun in 248???

Hey guys, I walked to my stand this morning and there was someone in it which is not a big deal, the guy was very nice came down, I asked him if he saw anything he said he saw one whitey doe, but that he was trying to fill his moose tag, the only problem was he only had a shotgun? I thought Moose was only archery in 248? If I was wrong I'll have to go buy myself a 12G.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP_R6 View Post
Hey guys, I walked to my stand this morning and there was someone in it which is not a big deal, the guy was very nice came down, I asked him if he saw anything he said he saw one whitey doe, but that he was trying to fill his moose tag, the only problem was he only had a shotgun? I thought Moose was only archery in 248? If I was wrong I'll have to go buy myself a 12G.
I think there is a antlerless moose shotgun/archery/crossbow draw in 248. It must be an antlerless moose he was looking for...if he was looking for a bull or didn't have a draw he isn't doing the right thing. You cannot hunt moose in 248 with a shotgun on a general tag.

LC
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM

There is a cow draw, and your nicer then me. I climb up and start unscrewing pegs.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
There is a cow draw, and your nicer then me. I climb up and start unscrewing pegs.
Steve - you are nicer then me. I don't climbup ... I just start sawing down the tree ... even if I have to return to the truck to get a buck or chain saw. That way the tree steps are all at ground level when I take them out.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 PM

seriously thought, LC is correct and there is some special strathcona draw for cow moose. Another genius plan by SRD where tags aren't the problem but access and opportunity to hunt is ... hence the guy in your stand.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Banned

anyone with 37.00 can hunt an antlerless moose in strath. county (248) with a shotgun. i walked right up to one on my way to my whitey stand last week but because i had a tag in another wmu she is still roaming around. lucky for her i didn't read the regs properly or i would never had got the other tag. i thought the strath. county lic. was a kind of bonus this year to keep them off the roads. i'll know better next year.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
anyone with 37.00 can hunt an antlerless moose in strath. county (248) with a shotgun. i walked right up to one on my way to my whitey stand last week but because i had a tag in another wmu she is still roaming around. lucky for her i didn't read the regs properly or i would never had got the other tag. i thought the strath. county lic. was a kind of bonus this year to keep them off the roads. i'll know better next year.
Anyone with a DRAW can hunt moose with a shotgun in Strathcona.
Read the regs fella. Sure glad you had a draw in another erea.
Oh boy!

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Any season with a little black box in front of it is a draw.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:

You really need to learn the regulations, this is the 3rd or 4th time that you have been wrong about what you can hunt and where. Learn to identify your game and learn the rules. We all have so why can't you!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Anyone with a DRAW can hunt moose with a shotgun in Strathcona.
Read the regs fella. Sure glad you had a draw in another erea.
Oh boy!

Exactly........
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:

The Reason why permission in WMU 248 is so hard to get.........
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM

Reading the regs is to hard this year i guess easier to come on here asking retarded questions looking like a tool
Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Lucky for you ....you didn't shoot her or you would be posting pics of your poached moose here.

I admire your "all-in" attitude to go with your first year of hunting....BUT SLOW DOWN....and truly read/understand the regs...

I don't want to see a post here where you lose your hunting priveledges and your equipment because you made a preventable mistake.

LC
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Banned

my appolagies. looked at regs again and realized that i had misunderstood the regs. first year i've been involved with draw system. i could legally have put an arrow in that moose but not a slug without a draw tag. didn't help that when i went for a moose tag in strath. county the lady said she would have done so except i allready had one in another wmu.
before anyone jumps on me about the arrow yes i do have an archery lic. but no bow tag for moose and i don't think i can get that one either cause of the other wmu but i plan to look into it. i'm thinking the moose are safe from me but maybe i'll get a pic of one laughing at me.
i do find it a little troubling that some people are very mean spirited in the hunting section. if you misread a reg. or ask for advice they figure your lazy or stupid. if someone asked me for directions i wouldun't tell them to "buy a map".

Last edited by waterninja; 11-20-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM

Default Oh boy

Quote:
You REALLY need to sit down with the regulations and fully understand them before you do something silly that costs you the opportunity to hunt in the future. Regulation booklets are free, so put one in every bathroom in the house and have a flip through them when you're on the throne.

As an added bonus, they can be used if you run out of TP.

Oops- I was 1 minute too late!