Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
This guy is a buffoon, just leaning on daddy's name. Everything he says tries to avert the obvious. The Liberals are just pinning their hopes on the Trudeau name and his fairy-tale story to get them back into power. The hypocrisy of this party amazes me sometimes.
yup

great expectations often lead to great disappointments.

boy has been given too much.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Banned

Sure, this clown will get elected as the leader of the liberals then get elected as PM. whats next? How about another gun control fiasco! You guys expect anything different?
Face it! we are not equals in this country! too many seats in Ontario and in the land of the Lillipads. If this idiot gets elected as PM down the road, I'm for a separatist province because we wont get anywhere with that crowd.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:51 AM

I didn't even bother carefully reading any of the post here from the guys I usually do battle with because, on this thread anyway, I know I'm going to agree with them.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 AM

I find Justin Trudeau to be scary in that a successful run at the liberal lieadership means that my party is back to third-party status. It'll also mean a conservative minority at best.

It doesn't matter what he says about Alberta. Fact is, he's got more style than Stephen Harper and Mulcair, and he talks like a non-politico. That's going to be attractive for a voting public that is, lets face it, tired of the way we do politics. People aren't going to care too much about the issues unless they're really peeved about something.

Already, the Cons and NDP only did as well as they did last time around because people were angry at the Libs. If Justin can walk in and change the party's image, then they can really reset the landscape next time around.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I find Justin Trudeau to be scary in that a successful run at the liberal lieadership means that my party is back to third-party status. It'll also mean a conservative minority at best.

It doesn't matter what he says about Alberta. Fact is, he's got more style than Stephen Harper and Mulcair, and he talks like a non-politico. That's going to be attractive for a voting public that is, lets face it, tired of the way we do politics. People aren't going to care too much about the issues unless they're really peeved about something.

Already, the Cons and NDP only did as well as they did last time around because people were angry at the Libs. If Justin can walk in and change the party's image, then they can really reset the landscape next time around.
ROADKILL!!!!!! been hiding again my friend? Nice to see you back.

Trudeau, Mulcair, Liberals, NDP... same difference. All of them think and have actually said that Canada would be better off if Albertans were out of power and out of their jobs, unemployed. Not real Canadians, keep our dollar too high because they're successful, etc. If they said any of the same things about Quebec or even the Maritimes their political careers would be over.

Federal Liberals, Federal NDP, provincial leaders in Ontario, BC, Quebec... it seems like we've been under attack from our "fellow Canadians" for about a year or two now. And all we've ever done was shovel money their way. IF they want to fan separatist flames in a province other than Quebec, they're doing a good job.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Banned

Default Perspective

You will have to excuse me cause Im just a dumb Sask farm boy who has never been east of winnipeg but is the meaning of democracy not that the good of the many outweighs the good of the few or the good of the one. You do realize that Ont has 1.5 times the landmass and ove 3.5 times the population. Toronto alone holds over 70% of the population of all of AB. Quebec is well over twice the size of AB and 2.2 times the poulation.

And you think AB will ever have any real power in this country. Every election in this country ever has been the Libs election to lose. I have said it before many times, the cons dont win fed elections, the Libs lose them.

Not liking a situation is no reason to stick your head in the sand. Call your MP NOW and demand senate reform. Senate seats should be elected terms. And they should be regional. Say 10 seats for Ont and 10 for QB, 1 each for the atlantic provinces, 7 for each province and 1 for each territory. All problems solved and this is actually doable.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
ROADKILL!!!!!! been hiding again my friend? Nice to see you back.

Trudeau, Mulcair, Liberals, NDP... same difference. All of them think and have actually said that Canada would be better off if Albertans were out of power and out of their jobs, unemployed. Not real Canadians, keep our dollar too high because they're successful, etc. If they said any of the same things about Quebec or even the Maritimes their political careers would be over.

Federal Liberals, Federal NDP, provincial leaders in Ontario, BC, Quebec... it seems like we've been under attack from our "fellow Canadians" for about a year or two now. And all we've ever done was shovel money their way. IF they want to fan separatist flames in a province other than Quebec, they're doing a good job.
Yeah, I've been running around after a toddler and hoping against hope that AO would appear in Tapatalk.

I think that a lot of people are using the term 'Alberta' as a stand in for 'oil' the same way they say 'Ottawa' when what they mean is 'Parliamentary swamp.' It'sThe oil industry isn't popular, and it is definitely pumping up the dollar. For me it's fantastic, as I bought a $5000 bass guitar from a boutique in NYC this year. Would have cost a mint if we were back to a 55-cent dollar. I buy a lot across the border these days, in fact. But if I worked in manufacturing, I'd be ****ed about it. But I think that people who blame Alberta for this are as ignorant of economics as are those who say that the scenario isn't true.

Also, most people believe that Stephen Harper is actually Albertan, so I think that the province is getting hit by the backsplash of people's visceral hate for him. But either way, once you get past the sound bites, it's not as anti-Alberta a country as TV would have you believe.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.

Last edited by roadkill; 11-23-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: iPhone autocorrect hilarity
Old 11-23-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
You will have to excuse me cause Im just a dumb Sask farm boy who has never been east of winnipeg but is the meaning of democracy not that the good of the many outweighs the good of the few or the good of the one. You do realize that Ont has 1.5 times the landmass and ove 3.5 times the population. Toronto alone holds over 70% of the population of all of AB. Quebec is well over twice the size of AB and 2.2 times the poulation.

And you think AB will ever have any real power in this country. Every election in this country ever has been the Libs election to lose. I have said it before many times, the cons dont win fed elections, the Libs lose them.

Not liking a situation is no reason to stick your head in the sand. Call your MP NOW and demand senate reform. Senate seats should be elected terms. And they should be regional. Say 10 seats for Ont and 10 for QB, 1 each for the atlantic provinces, 7 for each province and 1 for each territory. All problems solved and this is actually doable.
I agree. That kind of senate would be a vast improvement over the House of Lords that we actually have.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
it is definitely pumping up the dollar.
For sure. That's what happens in successful economies. The value of their currency increases. Does anyone down in your neck of the woods realize that the only way to get the dollar down is to tank the economy and throw people out of work? Then the dollar will go down and Montreal will get some of those $12 an hour t-shirt manufacturing jobs back from China.... maybe. But if they sell too many t-shirts, up goes the dollar again! Most voters simply have no clue how an economy actually works... for which the NDP is eternally thankful.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned

http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Senate/T...terests-e.html

The way it is now, is supposed to be regional rep, but it obviously has some bias built into it. I think it would require a constitutional amendment to change it, and that AIN'T gonna happen. Nobody wants to see their power eroded. PEI should barely have one senator, let alone 4. How does PEI get 4 senators and Alberta get 6? Or NB and NS with 10 each? Their definition of Maritimes doesn't include Newf, so that NB, NS, and PEI have the same number as AB, SK, MB and BC. It's definitely flawed, but it's almost impossible to change. That would require too much agreement amongst provinces.

Provincial autonomy needs to be increased (which Quebec would agree to), and the equalization program needs to be dropped. The feds collect more than enough blood in taxes never mind equalization payments.

Quebec has an extensive social welfare program, fine, but they should pay for it themselves if that's how they want to run their province. I'm getting tired of hearing how great these social welfare states are while people have their hands out demanding money from the taxpaying public and corporate Canada.

And Roadkill, you're right about shiny pony having more style than Harper, Mulcair, etc etc. That's what got his papa elected. Style. Unfortunately, style counts in politics amongst those that don't pay attention/don't care. I will never forget when a GF told me she would never vote for Harper because of his eyes!! She was reasonably intelligent, but was basing her vote on that. Sadly, I think she represents a pretty significant portion of the population. (By the way...she did wind up voting for Harper).

Bonus Question: Which famous Canadian once quipped: “I always say, if at a certain point, I believe that Canada was really the Canada of Stephen Harper – that we were going against abortion, and we were going against gay marriage and we were going backwards in 10,000 different ways – maybe I would think about wanting to make Quebec a country.”

Last edited by rugatika; 11-23-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 AM

Of course the press will help him. They have been and will continue until he is P.M.. And, I'm sorry but as much as I would like to deny it, there are a tremendous amount of liberals in Alberta. This is obvious to me. People don't hear nor understand. They see the pictures and that's all they need. Monstrous political correctness is the problem. Domestically and foreign. He looks as politically correct as it gets.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
is the meaning of democracy not that the good of the many outweighs the good of the few or the good of the one.
A) No, that is more the definition of collectivism.

B) No, that is a quote from a Star Trek movie.

"From my cold dead hands!"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Thomas Jefferson
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often
and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
B) No, that is a quote from a Star Trek movie.
LOL I can hear Spock saying it now.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Most voters simply have no clue how an economy actually works... for which the NDP is eternally thankful.
Awesome! The best post I have read in a while. Well said.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I love the fact i work away from my family to earn a good wage with pension , pay a obsean amount of taxes to have a piece of $#@% tell me only people from the east should run the country. Wait i have an idea if everyone in the oil industry quit there jobs, stopped paying huge income tax and lived off the social tit of the federal government we would be able to run Canada for what maybe a couple months?
I moved out to Calgary to attend University. I live and work here in Alberta. I work in oilsands construction. I see 15 bazillion people working up north and whining about being away from home and how bad Alberta is etc.

They sure do love the money that a 150K+ job for a tradesman provides. All the tax revenue off money earned in Alberta leaves this province. It is something I've never agreed with. I think that taxes should be paid where the money is earned, not where you reside. Funnily enough that would be cheaper for almost every individual tax payer, with the exception of the territories I believe.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Gone Hunting

"he will slink away into the anals."

I saw what you did there,

True.dat.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-in-Cochrane View Post
I moved out to Calgary to attend University. I live and work here in Alberta. I work in oilsands construction. I see 15 bazillion people working up north and whining about being away from home and how bad Alberta is etc.

They sure do love the money that a 150K+ job for a tradesman provides. All the tax revenue off money earned in Alberta leaves this province. It is something I've never agreed with. I think that taxes should be paid where the money is earned, not where you reside. Funnily enough that would be cheaper for almost every individual tax payer, with the exception of the territories I believe.
Dont you live in Canada?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Dont you live in Canada?
I guess I could have been more specific. I was referring to provincial income tax. Everyone pays federal regardless of where you live.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:18 PM

What a surprise. Gotta remember, all our federal politicians spout one line when they're in Quebec, quite another when they want OUR vote.

Grizz
Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"he will slink away into the anals."

I saw what you did there,

True.dat.
Unfortunately it will be all our annals. It'll be a shocker to those who elect him.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Nope Alberta. And the faster we leave the better off we will be.

Imagine you have a bank account, every month money goes missing yet you never get anything in return. The bank says "that's just the way it is". Would you not go to a different bank?
Agreed.

The best thing for this province would be for us to sperate and form our own nation.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Just like his father.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
I had no idea.............had to google the name lol
me either.. richard noggin. fantastic
Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 PM

He's sorry now....
Quote:
Liberal leadership candidate Justin Trudeau says he is sorry for comments he made in an interview two years ago that have Conservatives accusing him of an anti-Alberta bias.

Trudeau was forced to address the comments he made to the Télé-Québec television program Les Francs-tireurs (The Straight Shooters) in 2010 after a Sun Media report republished them Thursday.

In the interview, Trudeau said Canada wasn't doing well because "it's Albertans who control our community and socio-democratic agenda."

The published comments have touched off a firestorm of reaction from Conservative MPs on Parliament Hill. Trudeau's leadership campaign issued a statement Thursday saying the Conservatives were taking the comments out of context.

On Friday, Trudeau offered an apology, but continued to argue his comments were being misinterpreted and that they were directed at the government of Stephen Harper and not Albertans in general.

"I'm sorry I said what I did. I was wrong to relate the area of the country that Mr. Harper is from with the people who live there and the policies that he has that don't represent the values of most Canadians," Trudeau told reporters in Vancouver.

"It was wrong to use a shorthand to say Alberta, when I was really talking about Mr. Harper's government, and I'm sorry I did that."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...ta-quebec.html
.....sorry excuse for a politician and a Canadian.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
me either.. richard noggin. fantastic
Richard is Richard Smegma's cousin.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:01 PM

As good as it sounds, seperation is very unlikely. Like rugatika says, the provinces need more power. But, federalism is a hallmark of Canada. Big proponent, P.E. Trudeau. Our vote as everyone knows, doesn't even count. Maybe a boycott. Couldn't hurt.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Banned

So, when Alberta separates,

who is going to lead?

Smith, Redford or Jinping?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

who is going to lead?

maybe the ATA????....
Old 11-23-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

who is going to lead?

Rugatika
Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 PM

Keep dreaming about separation guys. I'm with you and most of you know that, but if you polled Albertans most would say no way. Sadly Alberta has become more liberal than alot want to believe. This is a socialist country. Has been for a long time and will be for a long time. We are the minority.