Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Did Alison behave unethically and should she be removed?
Yes she was unethical and should be removed 147 83.05%
Yes she was unethical and no she should NOT be removed 5 2.82%
No She was not unethical 15 8.47%
Unsure 10 5.65%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 AM

Default Alison Redford - INVESTIGATION STARTED FOR UNETHICAL BEHAVIOUR

“The minister of justice, as she then was, Alison Redford, in my view behaved unethically and possibly illegally by not recusing herself from making a decision in which she had a private interest, and was in a conflict of interest situation,” said Prof. Arthur Schafer, director of the Centre for Professional and Applied Ethics at the University of Manitoba.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-conflict.html
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Redford did not respond to repeated interview requests over the past few days
Imagine my surprise!

IDNVFH

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Banned

If she was a conservative she'd be toast...like Ford.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:57 AM

This is not news. Progressives have always been in bed with rich, elitist friends.

Enjoy the decline.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 AM

You leave Rod Ford out of this.

Grizz
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM

Default The Article Answer's the question

In an email, Denis’s executive assistant, Josh Stewart, said “there was no potential conflict of interest” for Redford.

“Ex-spouses are not included in the Conflict of Interest Act and Mr. Hawkes [Redford’s former husband] will not be working on this file.”

Like really....... who here has an ex that does them favors............

Especially million dollar ones.......

Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
In an email, Denis’s executive assistant, Josh Stewart, said “there was no potential conflict of interest” for Redford.

“Ex-spouses are not included in the Conflict of Interest Act and Mr. Hawkes [Redford’s former husband] will not be working on this file.”

Like really....... who here has an ex that does them favors............

Especially million dollar ones.......

Redford’s former husband is Robert Hawkes, a partner in JSS, who served as her transition team leader after she won the Progressive Conservative Party leadership race in 2011 and ascended to the premier’s office.

Schafer said Redford clearly still shared a close personal relationship with her former husband at the time she made the decision to award the contract to his firm. As a lawyer and justice minister, Schafer said she should have recognized she had a conflict.

They are obviously still pretty close. Maybe she just couldn't fulfill her marital duties? Who knows?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Winning firms hired lobbyist before legislation announced

According to Wade’s own declaration to the lobbyist registrar, he began lobbying on May 1, 2009. Hansard shows the first reading of the Crown’s Right of Recovery Act was 10 days later, on May 11, 2009.

“I find it very troubling that there was a lobbyist who registered to lobby on behalf of the consortium that won, before the decision to proceed with the lawsuit was even announced,” Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith told CBC News in an interview.

Law firm, lobbyist donated thousands of dollars to Tories

CBC News searched public records of political contributions and found JSS, Cuming & Gillespie, and Tim Wade, the lobbyist, gave tens of thousands of dollars to the PC Party, to Redford’s riding, and to her leadership campaign before and after her December 2010 decision to award the tobacco litigation to the consortium.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM

There should be an extra option in the poll for "Politics are stupid no matter who's in office"

No conflict of interest my ass.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Banned

Default so the tobacco lawsuit wasn't about healthcare - just the excuse she needed to hand her ....

friends a multimillion dollar contract, the alberta tax payer is on the hook for !

UN FRIGGN BELIEVABLE !
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM

Default This reminds me.

What is the status of fixed election dates. I think if Danielle can keep the nuts from being candidates she'll be the next premier.

I thought that they would learn but I was wrong!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM

Just another day in paradise. The rich get richer. It's not what you do it's who you know. Any other cliche's out there? It would be funny if it wasn't our money. And the debt grows...........

LB
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Redford’s former husband is Robert Hawkes, a partner in JSS, who served as her transition team leader after she won the Progressive Conservative Party leadership race in 2011 and ascended to the premier’s office.

Schafer said Redford clearly still shared a close personal relationship with her former husband at the time she made the decision to award the contract to his firm. As a lawyer and justice minister, Schafer said she should have recognized she had a conflict.

They are obviously still pretty close. Maybe she just couldn't fulfill her marital duties? Who knows?
The difference is plain..... legally ex spouses are not included in the conflict of interest act. The whole steaming pile about the closeness of her relationship with her ex is simply conjecture as there is no evidence put forth to substantiate Schafer's claim.

Like I said, anyone step up and tell us about the million dollar favor and ex has done for them...... come on .......anybody?????

Crickets.............................thought so...........

PS.............Isn't the CBC a liberal source of information??????

Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
There should be an extra option in the poll for "Politics are stupid no matter who's in office"

No conflict of interest my ass.
It should read "Politics are stupid and corrupt no matter who is in office"...... historically it has been shown that there are no politicians etc. that are not corrupt, ask any Political Sciences major........... Politics is by nature corrupt

Just in case ya didn't know...... this includes Danielle..............
Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Winning firms hired lobbyist before legislation announced

According to Wade’s own declaration to the lobbyist registrar, he began lobbying on May 1, 2009. Hansard shows the first reading of the Crown’s Right of Recovery Act was 10 days later, on May 11, 2009.

“I find it very troubling that there was a lobbyist who registered to lobby on behalf of the consortium that won, before the decision to proceed with the lawsuit was even announced,” Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith told CBC News in an interview.

Law firm, lobbyist donated thousands of dollars to Tories

CBC News searched public records of political contributions and found JSS, Cuming & Gillespie, and Tim Wade, the lobbyist, gave tens of thousands of dollars to the PC Party, to Redford’s riding, and to her leadership campaign before and after her December 2010 decision to award the tobacco litigation to the consortium.
So................. that's what politics are all about! Do some research...... it's all lobbying, political contributions, and pandering....... why do you think nothing much ever changes or gets done???? Of course it is all concealed by a claim of "I'm only interested in helping people and I'm doing this for my constituents".......

You don't actually expect whomever is in power to actually be honest and forthright do you???

Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The difference is plain..... legally ex spouses are not included in the conflict of interest act. The whole steaming pile about the closeness of her relationship with her ex is simply conjecture as there is no evidence put forth to substantiate Schafer's claim.

Like I said, anyone step up and tell us about the million dollar favor and ex has done for them...... come on .......anybody?????

I hear what you're saying but look at this way: What if she hated her ex-husband?

Shouldn't that exclude her from deciding anything that involves him?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Agree..
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Gone Hunting

When I see stuff like this I ask my myself What Would Red Green Do? and I smile.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
When I see stuff like this I ask my myself What Would Red Green Do? and I smile.
He'd duct tape the money to the wall?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
I hear what you're saying but look at this way: What if she hated her ex-husband?

Shouldn't that exclude her from deciding anything that involves him?
Good point................
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

And If you enrich your ex-spouse, do you not indirectly enrich any offspring of that union?

If there is child support, the more $ your ex makes, the better it is for your share of things like agreed to extracurricular things, and your split on items like braces, etc.

What if he was not a full partner in the law firm yet....this would tip him into it.

Also if daddy is loaded, it probably is an easy ride for any offspring going to university, needing help with the new home down payment, etc,etc.

Plenty of direct and indirect personal benefits, when the ex makes more money.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

Redford can do no right. A fail
Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
And If you enrich your ex-spouse, do you not indirectly enrich any offspring of that union?

If there is child support, the more $ your ex makes, the better it is for your share of things like agreed to extracurricular things, and your split on items like braces, etc.

What if he was not a full partner in the law firm yet....this would tip him into it.

Also if daddy is loaded, it probably is an easy ride for any offspring going to university, needing help with the new home down payment, etc,etc.

Plenty of direct and indirect personal benefits, when the ex makes more money.
I am guessing that daddy is already pretty well off in this case.....

Then maybe they should revisit that act!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM

You'd think if any politician was actually serious about their credibility they'd hire some little accountant type to monitor these choices as they're being made. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going to bite you in the ass later.

Seems like most would rather do first and ask forgiveness later.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Banned

Default gov't taxes on tobacco ...

Little clarification needed here ... better than 80% of the money we spend on smokes goes directly to the government ...

This, before premier Ma increased "sin" taxes across the board.

.... having profited the greatest from the sale of tobacco, premier Redford turns on her cash cow with a lawsuit - using hard earned alberta TAX revenue TO rewarding her EX husband with millions in gov't contracts.

try to be a little CLEARER, this lawyer - turned UN bureaucrat - now politician, double crossed her business partner to screw AB tax payers out of tens of millions of dollars that she will pay to her EX husband's law firm ...

... AM i MISSING SOMETHING ...

How can she stand their and defend herself, or better yet How can "the Hair" (1) stand their and defend her with a straight FACE - (how do these people sleep at night ?)

TBD

P.S. .... no wonder their putt'n arsenic and other nasty chemicals in their cigs these days - time to get outta this vicious circle, time to start growing tobacco in the garden !

(1)
"The Hair" Thomas Lukaszuk AB's Deputy Premier (the guy that got into a fight with the Edm senior dying from liver disease spring '12 campaign)

Last edited by TBD; 11-28-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 PM

People get used to corruption. If you don't believe it, just read some of these comments.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:36 PM

One has to be rather crooked to sleep in a grain auger. IMHO, I don't think that there is an auger on this earth with flighting tight enough that "Ally the Red" could find a comfortable sleep in!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Banned

Default check out her SCOFF when answering to the house ....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-interest.html

... take a good hard look boys, this is what we have representing alberta !

Last edited by TBD; 11-29-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-interest.html

... take a good hard look boys, this is what we have representing alberta !
She's teaching her daughter the Liberal version of the Golden Rule, if you control the gold you make the rules.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

Should bring a complaint to the law society. Get her disbarred from practicing law, and bring about general embarrassment.