Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 AM

Default Please delete

I had recently heard that the province is going to change their rules in 2013 on local butcher shops and their meat handling.

By this, the butcher has the choice of either handling inspected meat or solely handle the seasonally wild game but not both.

Is anyone else aware of this change or is it a rumor?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 AM

I've heard rumors of that and a host of other regulations coming in that will drive the cost of butchering all animals up dramatically.

I don't have any specifics, just scuttlebutt.

Our do nothing CFIA, is flexing it muscles again.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 AM

They did similar in Ontario a few years back, along with insisting on numerous Occupational Health & Safety rules designed for large meat packing plants like Lakeside (or whatever they are called now) despite no real health or worker issues at dozens (hundreds?) of small and family run butcher shops.

The end result was the end of small town butchers and sausage makers in that province.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Default Butchers

Well it was just a matter of time wasn't it? Think about this a cow killed in a controlled environment, inspected and butchered....in the same area that a moose that's been shot, not inspected, dragged throug the mud and brought into the shop after hanging in someone's garage for how long? I've heard butchers tell me they've received deer wrapped in plastic with mouse droppings, now this butcher refuses dirty meat but you get my idea. I don't really know what hunters should do, I always butcher my own. I'd not want beef cut in the same shop as some of the game I've seen. It's not financially feasible to have a butcher shop for game only as its a seasonal thing. At least until paid hunting comes along and folks can buy a deer off the farmer whenever they want but that's another kettle of fish.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM

Btt