Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM

WSS South doesn't record info. The North side location and Cabelas both do.
Guess where I choose to spend my money?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
WSS South doesn't record info. The North side location and Cabelas both do.
Guess where I choose to spend my money?
NEITHER ??

Go to P & D Enterprises ! imo
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM

P&d does record your info.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Exactly.

If Cabelas had a policy that you need to drop your pants at the till, would you?

A lot of people made a lot of fuss to get gun registration laws removed. That was a big deal and it was difficult.

If law-abiding gun owners/buyer will give up their right to privacy and their right to be left alone just because some store clerk says so, what was the point?
Absolutely!

What people need to remember is that when the LGR was dismantled and that information was deleted, freedoms were restored to law abiding Canadian non-restricted firearm owners.

As we saw with the implementation of the LGR, freedoms are easy for a government to take away. But considering how long it took to dismantle it, freedoms are extremely difficult to have restored.

When people are flippant about what is happening to their rights and freedoms, certain political parties with agendas take note. Those flippant feelings are what they prey on.

When ANYONE whether they are Law Enforcement or a store tramples on your rights and freedoms and you let it happen, you're cheapening that freedom. Don't be surprised if we're under a firearms registry again!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
P&d does record your info.
That's why I quit going there also. One thing for store owners to consider is its not just lost firearms sales - its sales of everything. I would rather buy from stores who respect my privacy, or at least give me the option of "opting out"
of their information gathering agenda.
As it stands now, WSS is the only shop in Edmonton doing that, that I am aware of.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:18 PM

basspro also records your info. I chose to go else where. The law was abolished so why still bend over. Shop somewhere else and their practices will stop. As consumers we vote with our wallet, but your wallet has to be connected to your brain in order for your vote to count.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
That's why I quit going there also. One thing for store owners to consider is its not just lost firearms sales - its sales of everything. I would rather buy from stores who respect my privacy, or at least give me the option of "opting out"
of their information gathering agenda.
As it stands now, WSS is the only shop in Edmonton doing that, that I am aware of.
Well, I mainly stopped going there because of Dianne. She is a major hose beast and has no clue how to speak to customers.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Default gun info cabluas

bought to rifles,took all my info.havent bought guns in 15 years.didnt know any better,lol ,iam srewed,dam
Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's better.

In fact, unless retailers are under some different laws than the rest of us (and maybe they are), the present legislation puts the onus on the BUYER to have a PAL. The Seller only needs to make an inquiry if he or she has some reason to believe the Buyer does not have a PAL.

This is also good to hear. I left 5 lb. of R19 at WSS south side when I was last in there when the clerk pulled out a book and wanted to start recording personal information. I had a long, polite and firm conversation with the Manager, who kept insisting they were just keeping the CFO happy. That may be, but they were not keeping their customers happy - not this one, anyway. Sales of propellant do not need to be recorded and I do not need a PAL to buy it. Period. Full stop.

A lot of people put a lot of effort and personal cost into killing the long gun registration laws. If will not betray that effort and cost with cowardice at the counter. That's how I see it, anyway.

That book is not good.

It could be used as a stepping stone for gun theft.

How many of you have looked over the names in the book and saw what your shooting buddies have bought? I have, and then called them up to see how the new powder worked out in a load.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
That's better.

In fact, unless retailers are under some different laws than the rest of us (and maybe they are), the present legislation puts the onus on the BUYER to have a PAL. The Seller only needs to make an inquiry if he or she has some reason to believe the Buyer does not have a PAL.

This is also good to hear. I left 5 lb. of R19 at WSS south side when I was last in there when the clerk pulled out a book and wanted to start recording personal information. I had a long, polite and firm conversation with the Manager, who kept insisting they were just keeping the CFO happy. That may be, but they were not keeping their customers happy - not this one, anyway. Sales of propellant do not need to be recorded and I do not need a PAL to buy it. Period. Full stop.

A lot of people put a lot of effort and personal cost into killing the long gun registration laws. If will not betray that effort and cost with cowardice at the counter. That's how I see it, anyway.

Actually the information on powder purchases is required by law. Not by the CFO, but by NRCan. No PAL required to purchase, but by the letter of the law (and not every shop follows the law) purchasers information is required for powder.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Actually the information on powder purchases is required by law. Not by the CFO, but by NRCan. No PAL required to purchase, but by the letter of the law (and not every shop follows the law) purchasers information is required for powder.
Wanna bet?

If so, how much?

(I don't really care who NRCan or CanCan or DipCan is - I was talking about the law on the matter.)
Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Wanna bet?

If so, how much?

(I don't really care who NRCan or CanCan or DipCan is - I was talking about the law on the matter.)
Sec. 123 http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...0.html#docCont
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Further to my earlier comments, even in cases where the collection of personal information is required by law, IT IS AGAINST THE LAW to store the information in such a way that your personal information (eg your purchase history of powder or bear spray, Driver's license number, address, for example) is viewable by others.

So if anyone was really serious about stopping this practice (rather than just belly-aching about it online ), all it would take is a call to the provincial privacy commissioner's office. Ditto for stores collecting personal information that is not required, such as PAL details. I've already posted the specific section of privacy legislation prohibiting that.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Wanna bet?

If so, how much?

123. Where a person sells a propellant of Division 1 of Class 1 or of Division 1 or 2 of Class 3, or fireworks of Subdivision 2 or 5 of Division 2 of Class 7, the person shall keep a record of the sale in a manner indicated by the Chief Inspector and shall make the record available, on request, for inspection by an inspector or a peace officer.

no, you actually do need to provide a name if you purchase powder. as indicated in the poster above me, IT IS THE LAW! many shops have not been doing this and there is an occasional effort to check books and threaten shopowners by not allowing them to sell powder if they don't record the info. so, when i buy my powder, i become Mr. Allen Rock. It also helps if you have messy handwriting so much of what is written down in the record book is illegible.

how much were you betting again??
Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM

Wholesale sports has a ledger but doesn't ID you
Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Bass Pro still records it all as well. they say its company policy to prove where the guns went. its more of an internal store policy I think to keep employees from "accidently" walking out with guns cause they don't trust their employees at all. It's Still Wrong
Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmike123 View Post
Wholesale sports has a ledger but doesn't ID you
For some reason David Suzuki buys a fair bit of powder just before I do....funny how I never see him in the store though....

LC
Old 12-06-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter540 View Post
holy cow you guys back when we had only F A C it was the same thing name number and serial number of the gun its only for store records as they have to show the goverment when asked where these guns went. its not the end of world and yes for safety issues you walk into a store with ammo layed out for everyone to open i'd lock up my gun as well if anything happened in the store with a unlocked gun i sure wouldn't want my family in harms way.every store in canada has different store policys on safety its not against us gun owners its just keeping others safe guns don't kill people idiots do plain and simple
Well said, sir.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 AM

I'm concerned about any retailer collecting more information than they should on any transaction, especially when they have no legal right or obligation to do so.

This news article came out yesterday (Dec. 05/12)
Conservatives Quietly Defer Gun Marking Rules

In it, one paragraph states:

"The Conservatives have also introduced legislation to make sure gun dealers are not required to keep records identifying buyers of non-restricted weapons"

I spent some time searching for that legislation, but couldn't find it. Would be helpful to have it, and know if it's in effect, before my next firearm purchase.