Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM

By letting him go the guy now has a pretty good inventory of all your stuff
Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 PM

The fact that he was beside the furnace lends some credibility to his story and the fact he had nothing in his pockets. It is a pretty lousy thief that does not carry a flash light to find things in the dark or a really stupid one.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned

Your a much more patient man than I 220,, I sure as heck would of got a couple good shots to his head before I let him go,, cold or not you don't enter a mans home in the middle of the night.. We have to get it through peoples heads this kind of behaviour is not tolerated..
Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Hey Swifty:

Hope this was not a new mayor. Remember the last time some yokel came your house?

You have to quit being so nice.
Mayoral visits aside, this was the third time in just over a year we have had this type of chit happen. The first of those three happened when I wasnt home, and the POS knocked on the front door and got irate when my wife didnt open it for him. She called 911 and then the neighbor who came out with his GSD and ran the guy off. 20 minutes later, the RCMP cruised the street, but came up empty.

The second was last spring, when I was home. Guy knocked on the front door around 2 AM and asked if he could crash on our couch. I said no, he got ornery, so I let him know he would be sleeping on the sidewalk if he didnt eff off immedeatly. I then sic'd the RCMP on him, and they gave him a bed for the night.

We've also had our holiday trailer (just the exterior storage) broken into, and our garage door graffitied, since last October. This is just off the top of my head.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600twin View Post
By letting him go the guy now has a pretty good inventory of all your stuff
He was in the dark until I turned the light on to pull him out of there, and there isnt much worth risking some bodily harm over. He knows he cant get in there undetected now.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 PM

FWIW, I think you handled it right.....but next time maybe take something with you. If a guy pulls a knife, it'll be too late to wish you had a bat. Don't have to hit him, it's just good to have. I keep a couple of pick axe handles around - in case I have to pry on something. That would be better than nothing. You ought to have been able to bring a pistol, IMO.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:45 PM

All the excitement always happens to everyone else.

And sometimes, that's a good thing!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM

There's a bigger question here, Swifty....

Did you make him cry?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM

No tears, but i forgot to look and see if his jeans were dry.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Probably brings a whole new meaning to the phrase Streaking!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Glad you and the family are ok.

I would have turned him over to the cops. I would have not been to happy letting him go to find out in the morning he had whacked my neighbor.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-27-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I would have not been to happy letting him go to find out in the morning he had whacked my neighbor.
I had that thought right after i called the cops, so i properly dressed, locked up the fort, and headed for a stroll in the direction he headed, watching for fresh footprints leading into other yards. I did this until I met the responding officer, then let him take over.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post

Glad you are OK 220. I'm also glad that you are not up on any charges.
really....lol
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
The fact that he was beside the furnace lends some credibility to his story and the fact he had nothing in his pockets. It is a pretty lousy thief that does not carry a flash light to find things in the dark or a really stupid one.
Really. you guys make me laugh. He needed a good beating, cops called, and put away. Poor sob needed some heat, go stand by a bakery, not in my furnace room. He would have walked away in cuffs with a limp. To the original OP, you are a much more tolerant man than me, good on you, but I don't think you should have let him walk
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 PM

If he was in my furnace room, well, he wouldnt have made it that far. He wouldnt have walked out under his own power, either.

He was in a detached garage, that was accidentally left unlocked. Had he forced his way in, or had any of my property in his hands, regardless of value, things would have gone different. He isnt forgotten, or forgiven, but his actions didnt warrant my physical exertion. Especially while i am in nothing more than ginch and there is snow on the ground. I dont like rolling naked in the snow unless there is a hot tub and at least one properly filled bikini within 10 yards.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Good save buddy!

Glad it turned out ok.

I would have called the police though, drunk in public place, b&e, etc.

No sympathy from me for self inflicted stupidity.
Yup! I agree, for all you know that guy was a registered sex offender or has a record for burglary/theft/criminal trespass. I'd have called the cops and let them check him out. If he was clean and just drunk/homeless they could at least help point him in the right direction to get some help. Afterall you don't HAVE to press charges.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Yup! I agree, for all you know that guy was a registered sex offender or has a record for burglary/theft/criminal trespass. I'd have called the cops and let them check him out. If he was clean and just drunk/homeless they could at least help point him in the right direction to get some help. Afterall you don't HAVE to press charges.
First concern was getting him off my property. Calling the cops came right after.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I think a pile of bones on the garage floor would make me wish I were somewhere else if a 6'5" 280lb mad man in his ginch was standing next to them.

Glad you are okay.
That s&m dungeon scene in the pulp fiction movie came to mind when you explained it....lol

Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire1978 View Post
That s&m dungeon scene in the pulp fiction movie came to mind when you explained it....lol
What now? I'll tell you what now.... GOOD TIMES!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
Really. you guys make me laugh. He needed a good beating, cops called, and put away. Poor sob needed some heat, go stand by a bakery, not in my furnace room. He would have walked away in cuffs with a limp. To the original OP, you are a much more tolerant man than me, good on you, but I don't think you should have let him walk
Never said I would not gently encourage him to get off my property, just said his story had a bit of credibility as Swifty did not walk in on him stuffing his pockets full of stuff. Besides I have gone through the whole getting blood tests every two months because some guy got his blood all over my fists after he cut them up a bit with his teeth and no one knew if he had something nasty as his buddies dragged him away before the cops showed up, I personally did not like it.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
really....lol
Yes...... really. Lol.

I guess you think it would be better if 220 had broke the guys legs, arms, and spine and then called the RCMP to come in and mop up the mess? When the officers ask what happened, he can explain that some guy was warming up in his garage and he had to cripple the terrified man; to teach him a lesson.

Then the Thread would be about how 220 Swifty is in the clink for assault causing bodily harm and needs to hire a Lawyer.

220 Swifty was the one who decided right then and there that the guy was not a Threat. None of us were there.

I get the feeling from some of these posts that some people almost wish that they could catch some guy on their property; just so they can get midevil on him.

I spoke with a guy the other day about break ins and such. He told me that some big, tough guy he knew had his home broken into; while he was home asleep. He woke up and completely froze. He didn't make a sound and then one of the guys came into the bedroom and noticed that there was someone home. Neither one said anything and the thieves left with all the stuff they stole.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 PM

I think Swifty handled it properly. I mentioned this story once on here, but it bears repeating because it can give fellows prone to clubbing first pause for thought.

On my 18th birthday I had tied one on with my Step-Dad and returned to Mom's with him; I didn't live with them, nor was I very familiar with their neighborhood, at least on foot. I had an powerful craving for ice cream so I walked a number of blocks to Mac's and managed to black out on my return trip which I decided should be a different route than the main street. I woke up at dawn (early June) and found myself sitting in a strangers Ford Thunderbird. I theorized I must have been looking for a map, as the glove box had been tossed, and I know myself enough to know I wouldn't have been looking to steal anything. The drivers seat I woke up in was still all the way forward, so it must have been a womans car. I got out and walked a half block and got a bearing on where I was. I walked 3 blocks to Mom's and hit the couch; Mom came out and was very relieved to see me as my disappearance was pretty out of character. I was quite relieved to be there, but also wondered what could have happened if I was still sleeping when someone came out to that car I had found refuge in.

That stranger you catch could well just be a drunk seeking refuge, rather than someone out to rob you blind.

4 Christmases ago we had a knock on the door rather late when we we in our pajamas, our son was only 9 months old. I answered the door and there was a man in his late 50's or early 60's who seemed lost. Always wary of the stories from scammers and the homeless I asked him a variety of questions and thought he seemed legitimate enough; that being said I still had him wait outside the locked door while I changed to give him a drive. It turns out he was a traveller from Maine who was staying at a B&B that was in a house that resembled ours, but about a kilometre down the road; I got him there by driving him both directions up & down the street until he recognized the house; the weather was bitter cold, probably around -25.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 AM

Man, you've had more than your share of that crap. I'm glad you and everyone at your house is OK, 220.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Yeah, I caught a guy in my garage last January.

He said he was just walking by and saw that the door was open (it wasn't). I physically blocked the door and called the police. The old garage door was replaced with a new one soon after, one with a deadbolt.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Yeah, I caught a guy in my garage last January.

He said he was just walking by and saw that the door was open (it wasn't). I physically blocked the door and called the police. The old garage door was replaced with a new one soon after, one with a deadbolt.
We must live in the same neighborhood.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Banned

yep..Swifty they would have had to charge me with administering a noxious substance...lead