Your Optometrist in Edmonton

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 PM
hockey1099 hockey1099 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I find it ironic that you first complain that there are no legitimate studies or factual evidence posted on this thread and then you quote some of John Lott's stats. Are you fricken kidding me????

Check the thread about the NRA that I started. Lapierre looked like an idiot for quoting John Lott's stats in his opening address because they were totally out to lunch.
Look the anti gun control crowd really likes Lott. The fact his studies have been discredited dont really resonate when Lott is all you got
  #302  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM
carpediem4570 carpediem4570 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 96
Default wow

Man, I haven't had this much fun reading in a long time.

Hey Sundancefischer, which province are you from and what do you do for a living?

Regards,

Carpediem
  #303  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Big Daddy Badger's Avatar
Big Daddy Badger Big Daddy Badger is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
That is the million dollar business of gun selling cop out. I won't stop making large capacity mags because the murderer of the school children would of just made one and did it anyways.

Biggest load of falsehoods you have spewed on here to date. There is a reason bad guys chose these tools...because they are easy to buy, easy to use and efficient to kill with.

Your premise is totally false because we have not seen a single home made one used to kill anyone in Canada... If some industrious person made it is because of the challenge and likely they enjoy tinkering. No criminals would go to those lengths to any significant degree compared to being able to simply buy it.

Good try but as a statement it is totally false. Removing them will make it harder for bad guys to kill with.

They can still be used at firing ranges should law abiding citizens wish to enjoy the bang bang.
Aside from that... if criminals were that focused, dedicated, well tooled and talented... they'd have real jobs.
__________________
BDB
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy...
  #304  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Big Daddy Badger's Avatar
Big Daddy Badger Big Daddy Badger is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You don't want to get me going on the NRA. Prior to researching them after the Sandy Nook shooting I figured that they were great for supporting firearms owners rights but after some digging all is not what it appears to be.

Now, I think that they are simply a lobby for firearms manufacturers and firearms owner's rights is secondary to their main goal of helping firearms manufacturers make more money. There's a reason that they won't support background checks, banning sales of firearms to people on the terrorist watch list and anything else that would reduce the sale of firearms.......$$$$$. Last year firearms manufacturers gave the NRA $71M in funding! You don't go biting the hand that feeds you when that kind of money is involved. That IMO is the reason that you'll never find them supporting anything that will limit the sale of firearms (ie background checks) and always support anything that would require the sale of more guns (ie guards in all schools).

The NRA is not about protecting firearms owners rights, it just happens that by doing so they help the gun manufacturers make $$$$......IMO.
The NRA is a bussiness not some charity or rights group.
They are as much a business...correction more of a business than (dare I say it...) Wendy C's outfit.

2 sides of the same coin each pandering to a different group of fearful people.

Fact is that of both special interest groups could be muzzled sensible folks would sit down... express their views and a happy compromise would be possible.

Unfortunatley plungers keep pizzing and moaning and stiring crap up... creating imagined problems where none that are real exist.
__________________
BDB
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy...
  #305  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 PM
MtnGiant MtnGiant is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
When you come out with a statement that the US has the highest crime rate in the world, and you do not care to produce any proof when challenged, I can only conclude that you are a fool, a bollshooter, a cad ,a poltroon, and remind me of smegma,,, don't start something you can't finish.
Careful with the name calling little man....
Don't play tuff guy with that internet.
You may run into the wrong person one day who doesnt find you so amusing.

Just a lil lesson of real life friendo
  #306  
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM
skinnykid skinnykid is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1099 View Post
Look the anti gun control crowd really likes Lott. The fact his studies have been discredited dont really resonate when Lott is all you got
Yup, and Don Kates and Gary Mauser... Prof. Brandon Centerwall... All published papers regarding the subject of gun control with similar findings.
__________________
If guns kill people:
Then pencils misspell words,
Cars make people drive drunk,
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
  #307  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Unregistered user's Avatar
Unregistered user Unregistered user is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgree.
Posts: 2,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
The NRA is a bussiness not some charity or rights group.
They are as much a business...correction more of a business than (dare I say it...) Wendy C's outfit.

2 sides of the same coin each pandering to a different group of fearful people.

Fact is that of both special interest groups could be muzzled sensible folks would sit down... express their views and a happy compromise would be possible.

Unfortunatley plungers keep pizzing and moaning and stiring crap up... creating imagined problems where none that are real exist.
cukier's outfit was propped up by tax-payers' money so for sure NRA is more of a business, well run too.
__________________
MEMBER AFGA APRA NFA NRA CPC CKUA CSSA
  #308  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Tactical Lever Tactical Lever is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fox Creek
Posts: 1,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/jamaica

Jamaica is a third world country.

http://thegrio.com/2012/08/06/jamaic...niversary-16x9


Like many Third World countries, Jamaica is plagued by poverty, unemployment, drug-fueled gang violence, and political corruption. The unemployment rate in Jamaica is over 12 percent. Employed Jamaicans earn an average minimum wage comparable to just over 50 American dollars a week. In 2005, Jamaica had the highest murder rate per capita in the world.

Jamaica is widely accepted under the definition of third world...definitely not of the first world category the US is part of.

But sure...keep comparing guns laws between Jamaica and the US if you like. You are just comparing apples to walnuts is all.
So "Grio" says that it is 3rd world, with greater than 12% unemployment... That's not 3rd world, that's Newfoundland!

It's a little hard to compare ultra high murder rates, and low gun ownership without including developing, or "3rd world countries".

Is there any other way that you would like the data vetted to be more favourable to your argument?
  #309  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Tactical Lever Tactical Lever is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fox Creek
Posts: 1,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
That is the million dollar business of gun selling cop out. I won't stop making large capacity mags because the murderer of the school children would of just made one and did it anyways.

Biggest load of falsehoods you have spewed on here to date. There is a reason bad guys chose these tools...because they are easy to buy, easy to use and efficient to kill with.

Your premise is totally false because we have not seen a single home made one used to kill anyone in Canada... If some industrious person made it is because of the challenge and likely they enjoy tinkering. No criminals would go to those lengths to any significant degree compared to being able to simply buy it.

Good try but as a statement it is totally false. Removing them will make it harder for bad guys to kill with.

They can still be used at firing ranges should law abiding citizens wish to enjoy the bang bang.
Quote:
The Sten submachine gun
The British Sten, while it was an official military firearm, was developed specifically to be produced by improvised workshops. When the British Expeditionary Force withdrew from France in the Dunkirk evacuation of 1940, large numbers of arms were abandoned, leaving the British military under-armed. Two Britons, Sheppard and Turpin (the "S" and "T" in "Sten") designed and built a prototype submachine gun in 30 days, to be used to re-arm the British soldiers as quickly as possible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvised_firearm

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013...chie-man.html/

https://www.google.ca/search?q=homem...w=1024&bih=677

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...just-year.html

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t562641/


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
These fine upstanding young arians wouldn't think of using those for nefarious purposes, I'm sure.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ubmachine-gun/

And in case you didn't know, "high capacity" magazines, are not legal here. Range or otherwise.
  #310  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Tactical Lever Tactical Lever is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fox Creek
Posts: 1,392
Default

I believe it was Sundancefisher that stated that the U.S. has the highest crime rate of any "1st world country".

Here is some stats from 2004, that show all the countries by rate of murder. Which is mostly a reliable stat. I say mostly, as some do not consider it a murder, if the murderer is not caught. Some of the murders are actually manslaughters, infanticide in some countries is not counted, sick as it may be. Et cetera.

Also, some fairly violent countries show a low murder rate. I guess war doesn't count, or some are swept under the rug...

This actually shows U.S. as having a lower than average murder rate globally.
  #311  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 PM
MtnGiant MtnGiant is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,323
Default

Looks like the NRA is holding strong to being against background checks as Froman states on the Anderson Cooper show.
Their reasoning is a financial one....saying that it would cost too much money and be an inconvenience to have background checks in place.
She also states that only 2% of gun crimes are committed by legal gun owners....so why punish the responsible gun owner with more RED tape.

Pretty sure this is from todays show

OOOOPS...this shoulda been posted in the NRA op by Dave....my appologies...must be gettn sleepy

Last edited by MtnGiant; 01-31-2013 at 10:37 PM.
  #312  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 PM
ehntr's Avatar
ehntr ehntr is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CYED
Posts: 3,918
Default

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher
That is the million dollar business of gun selling cop out. I won't stop making large capacity mags because the murderer of the school children would of just made one and did it anyways.

Biggest load of falsehoods you have spewed on here to date. There is a reason bad guys chose these tools...because they are easy to buy, easy to use and efficient to kill with.

Your premise is totally false because we have not seen a single home made one used to kill anyone in Canada... If some industrious person made it is because of the challenge and likely they enjoy tinkering. No criminals would go to those lengths to any significant degree compared to being able to simply buy it.

Good try but as a statement it is totally false. Removing them will make it harder for bad guys to kill with.

They can still be used at firing ranges should law abiding citizens wish to enjoy the bang bang.


__________________________________________________ ____________

Wrong. What did the guy in Cambridge Bay, NT use on his SKS? He had to have removed the pinned to 5 rounds fixed mag and modify his rifle to accept a prohibited magazine is the answer. Your firearms education continuing as you fumble through these firearms posts.
__________________
bring Your peace into our violence
  #313  
Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 AM
silver silver is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maidstone Sask
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Careful with the name calling little man....
Don't play tuff guy with that internet.
You may run into the wrong person one day who doesnt find you so amusing.

Just a lil lesson of real life friendo
You have been here about a month and a half, have about 500 posts, have been caught telling at least one lie.

What was your handle on here before?

Pretty obvious this isn't your forum, did you leave it of your choice or get kicked out?

As far as your little threats, I am John Wayne Toilet Paper.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.