Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 AM
GoonBag

Default Going Camping

Woohoo! Its camping season...more or less. I just bought a new b*tchin tent heater that I am just itching to use. 9000 BTUs of roasty, toasty heat. So I'm packing up the tent and all my camping gear to head out to the bush this weekend.

If you don't hear from me again its because the heater failed and my frozen body is still in Kananaskis.

Any other die-hards heading out?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Tucumseh

Goon, I was out quadding yesterday and still lots of snow up in the mountains.

Quote:
If you don't hear from me again its because the heater failed and my frozen body is still in Kananaskis.
Ok, if we don't see you around for awhile, I'll keep an open open the next time I'm out quadding! :lol
Old 03-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Rookie Recurve

Myself and three friend went ice fishing on Seibert Lake last year in around -20c weather. Set up our tents and sleeping bags and were good to go. Only problem was firewood. Wet and could not get a fire going! There is a cabin right by the boat launch that we went to and found the door to be unlocked! 4 beds and a pile of dry firewood inside. Now that is winter camping! I used to do it a lot in Scouts and Venturers, but I do not think that the kids these days are up to that kind of rugged fun. I got 3 boys and they are gonna know the joys of winter campin!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:25 PM
lethalconnection

Probably gunna do an over nighter out at Sylvan or Gull next weekend. Hopin to hit the burbot when they are goin nuts.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:24 AM
GoonBag

Going winter camping? Be careful you don't burn your tent down...'cause I did...DOH!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Warrior

****TY, I guess the heater works a little TOO GOOD...

Hope everyone is OK

Other then that, how was the camping? Probably a little lighter to pack up coming home I guess...
Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
GoonBag

Heya Warrior, yeah, nobody was hurt. In fact, I might (please, please, please) even be able to patch up the tent...I hope. I don't know what the hell happened with that heater...kind of a long story but I think I'll be sending it back to Cabelas. Other than that though, camping was great. The weather was great, food was even better. There's nothing like sitting around a campfire with a beer in one hand, campfire cooked sausage in the other and the only noise is the crackling of the fire and the wind in the trees.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:02 PM
aka bushmaster

What kind of heater was it ?? What type of fuel ??

And did the heater malfunction or just too close to something flameable ??
Old 03-12-2007, 02:54 PM
GoonBag

Its a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy and it was running off a 20lb tank I had sitting outside of the tent. I think the whole incident was a horrible fluke as the heater wasn't even facing the wall.

I couldn't get all of the tent pegs in because the ground was still frozen rock solid. However, I did manage to get about 7 pegs into the ground, one of which was a corner peg that seemed to go in just a bit too easy. but it was either that or don't put it in the ground at all because the ground around it was either hard as a rock or soft as sand...no in between. The wind picked up during the evening and was really playing havoc with the tent.

The corner peg was pulled out of the ground and the corner of the tent sluffed in a bit. My best guess is that the rear of the heater is pushing out some hot exhaust because directly behind the heater is where all the melting occurred. The front portion of the heater, where the burner is located, never came in contact with anything and nowhere on the heater was any melted plastic...on the front or the back.

Fortunately, I called MEC and they think they can fix it. I'll find out this wekend when I bring it in.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:14 PM
winter camping

Default winter camping

bummer.

Thats what sleeping bags are for though. Every year you hear about guys with co2 poisoning from leaving the heater on all night. I think your pretty lucky the tent didnt catch on fire.
oh well you live you learn, at least your still around.

The wind is my main concern going winter camping. If your out of the wind, almost any sleeping bag will keep you warm if you have insulation below you. I always use the snow as a block or if there is no snow, dense willows or trees will work.
There is always some guy in our camp that wants to camp on the lake with his ice holes but never gets any sleep cuz its so cold but the rest of us are toasty warm inland.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:10 PM
GoonBag

Default Re: winter camping

Quote:
Thats what sleeping bags are for
Therein lies the irony of the situation. I have a fantastic sleeping bag rated for -40. But its cold as hell getting up at 4AM to take a dump so I thought it'd be a cool idea to get a tent heater for the chilly mornings....lesson learned is right...I need to buy a trailer.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:54 PM
camping

Default camping

HAHAHA well I cant argue with that.
My bowel movements are a little more regulated than yours so I won't comment on your problem. When i have to urinate, it usually doesnt take that long.

thanks for the laugh.