Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Dick284

Default Rifle Rodeo Provincial Grand Champion

Well it only took 7 months for the Ft. Mac group to get the stuff mailed to me so here it is.

That is my keeper award for keeping up with the pack in Ft. Mac, putting in an average show in Ponoka, and getting the high score in Drayton Valley.

Also got these as well.

Left to Right:
Annual Provincial Champion trophy
2nd place in the Hunter class (ft. Mac)
Annual Best Overall trophy in Drayton Valley.

Now for the sad news, I wont be able to make all three shoots this year as work is skuttling Ponka, therefore I am hoping many of the AO gang will come out and show the rest what they are made of.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
gopherslayer

remind me not to **** you off

Congrats!!!! That's awsome stuff!!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Dick284

In all honesty, I can't shoot worth a pinch if I get all hyped up, just ask my hunting partners.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Brady

Congrats there Dick.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 PM
sheep hunter

That is some serious bling Richard....congratulations!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Dick284

I hope that's a blush icon.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 PM
209x50cal

Good shoot'n! Can I ask for some details as I've never heard of this competion. I know I need to get out of the cave more often, but can you tell me what you shoot, guns, calibers ranges ect? Too cool!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Dick284

I'll PM you 209x50
Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 PM
209x50cal

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 PM
101sonny

Quote:
I've never heard of this competion. I know I need to get out of the cave more often, but can you tell me what you shoot, guns, calibers ranges ect? Too cool!
Yes i would like to know also what's its all about any info thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Dick284

Because of the demand I will post it here, and perhaps one of the Mods can sticky it for further refrence.

This whole provincial champion idea was spawned by the gang in Ft. MacMurray. They started a Rifle Rodeo a couple of years back, and found out that Ponoka has been putting one on for numerous years, as has been Drayton Valley.
The Ft, Mac shoot is in Early June, and when I get a hard date I'll post it.
There shoot is quite F-Class in it's styling(all shot from your belly) They have 4 classes.
Unlimited(all classes of scoped rifles) All shot prone,they shoot distances from 100 to 500meters with the aid of a front rest and rear bag.
Hunter Class (all classes of scoped rifle) shot frome prone
with the aid of of a sling only, again 100 to 500meters, just bigger targets.
Iron sight class(all classes of iron sighted rifles) prone with a sling, 100 to 500m
303 iron sight class(any manner of iron sighted 303) prone, slings, and 100 to 500m
Only the Hunter class and either the 303 or iron sight class is counted for their part of the aggragate.

The Ponoka Shoot is always on the Labour Day weekend.
They shhot a host of moving targets from distances of 65yards to 280yards, any position, although most shoot them from prone.
Only your first go around with a scoped rifle and an iron sighted rifle goes toward the Provincial Aggregate.

Now for Drayton Valley's shoot.
It's on Aug 18 & 19 this year.
This is the log one since I put this one on (gotta love cut and paste)
Rifle Rodeo Course of Fire

Running Deer&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 150yds.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Scoring 5-4-3 based on area of hits.

Pop up Bear &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 135yds.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Target exposure of 5 sec.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Scoring 5/hit.

Pop up Elk &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 210yds. Target exposure of 5 sec.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Scoring 5/hit.

For these targets the shooter must start with their rifle unshouldered. 1 shot offhand, 1 shot kneeling, 1 shot sitting.

Coyote Silhouette &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 280 to 340 yds.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 10secs max. time/target.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Scoring 5/hit.

1 shot offhand (braced forward hand only), 1 shot kneeling, and 1 shot sitting.

Rabbit Silhouette 100yds. (Approx.)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 6sec. Max. time/target.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Scoring 5/hit.

1 shot offhand, 1 shot kneeling, 1 shot sitting.

Gopher Silhouette 100yds. (Approx.)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 10secs. Max. time/target.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Scoring 5/hit.

3 shots prone

Partridge Shoot 25yds.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 10secs. Max. time/target.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Scoring 5/hit.

Targets are 1 ½” x 1 ½” wood blocks

3 shots offhand

Match Rules:
Slings, bipods, sandbags or other artificial supports are not allowed.

All shots must start with the rifle below the elbow.(where practicable)

More than one rifle can be entered, but only one rifles score is counted in the standings (Shooters choice).

If a shot is taken at the running deer while ANY portion of the deer is outside of the fair game markers the shot will count as a miss.

Keep talking to a minimum while others are shooting.

And have LOTS OF FUN.
Purpose and Scope of this event:
The rifle rodeo is designed for hunters by hunters with the aspiration of bringing more hunters to the shooting range to practice and hopefully improve on their shooting skill level.
Every target as presented at this event tries to mirror real life hunting situations.

RIFLE RODEO RULES

General Rules:

-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp All commands of the range officer must be OBEYED.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp All firearms must be unloaded and left with the actions open and in the rack when not in use.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp No handling of firearms or ammunition while a cease-fire is in effect.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Only one round of ammunition in a firearm at a time.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Keep your muzzle pointed down range, or in a safe direction at all times.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Match Rules:
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp You must start and finish with the same rifle, unless a major malfunction occurs.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Legal caliber; 0.23”cal. or larger, 0.44”cal. or larger muzzle loader.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp - No limit to scope magnification.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp All decisions by the Range Officer (Master) are final.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp - In the event of a tie for a trophy placing, a 100-yd. shoot off will break the tie. (Blank
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp paper, closest to the center.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
-&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp For all events & positions, the rifle must start below the shooters elbow with the muzzle and barrel level or pointed down.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:09 PM
gopherslayer

I have a hard time hitting something when I'm calm :lol
Old 03-08-2007, 10:10 AM
gunslinger

guys this is a first class shoot that dick puts on, i go to his shoot at buck creek if im not working, i also won it one year, these guys not only train kids but the wifes are fully invovled and if you can make it out to one of these it a blast, the targets are well maintained and the fellas at the shoot are very friendly, come shooting time she get competitve and old dick is deffinlty the guy to beat,
the range at buck creek is first class with plenty of metal gongs to shoot at.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 PM
bigbore

looking forward to august already
Old 03-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Barty

Me thinks this guy can not only talk the talk, but..............

Congrats
Old 03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Dan

Congrats Dick

Puts even more weight to your posts.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 PM
varmitr

this year in drayton, when he isnt looking, im gonna turn his 1 full turn left AND down.
not to mention a nice little shin-dig firepit at his domecile in DV after and the nite before