Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 PM

In the most recent Field and Stream David Petzal fielded this question:
"I'm a novice hunter considering my first rifle purchase. How will I know when I've found The One?"

He replied "Being a novice, you won't. You acquire a feel for what really works for you only after you have hunted and shot a lot... In the meanwhile, buy something that doesn't kick too much."

That advice really fits for me. When I first shopped for a rifle, I tried a weatherby but thought it too heavy. I bought a Browning A-bolt in .270, a fine gun that has served me well. Now I'm looking for a replacement and have been quite taken with a Weatherby Vanguard "Range Certified" model in 7mm mag with a Bell and Carlson custom stock that feels really good. I don't notice the weight anymore (it's not a lot) and being a tall guy with a long neck the raised comb feels really comfortable compared to having to crane my neck down to see through the scope on a Browning or similar straight comb stock. I also find I have the complete butt against my shoulder. When I was hunting before with the Browning I would find that I actually only had about the lower two-thirds of the butt against my shoulder. It's just stuff that you get a feel for or notice after a while.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM

The Tikka T3 bolt shroud is plastic. Hmmmmmmmmmm...
Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemarmot View Post
The Tikka T3 bolt shroud is plastic. Hmmmmmmmmmm...
yeah, that and the plastic trigger guard and clip, er... magazine, turned me off of what otherwise sounds like a very good rifle. Ditto the Sako A7