Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 PM

Default STP Fuel Injector Cleaner

Anyone use this stuff or is it really needed?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 PM

Good question JR

But I think a larger/broader question needs to be asked . . .
- Are 'any' of the off-the-shelf (retail) fuel injector cleaners really needed, or worth the cost?

We have a lot of experienced/knowledgeable Auto Techs here on this forum ... I've got my fingers crossed that they will fill us in.

TF
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 PM

don't waste your money. the only thing that will really clean your injectors is in the mechanic shop and hooks up to a machine or special hose.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
don't waste your money. the only thing that will really clean your injectors is in the mechanic shop and hooks up to a machine or special hose.
Not true,I bought a polaris ranger in jan that had 398 kms on it but had been sitting in a garage for 2 1/2 yrs.It would take 4-5 attempts to get it to start.I drained the old fuel and poured a can of Seafoam in it (on the advise of a couple forum members here) let it run for approx 20 mins than let it sit for 2 wks.It now starts 1st time every time and now runs like it only has 398 kms on it.So some of it does work.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Seafoam works good. Use it in my trucks. Question is it good to put in 2stroke fuel?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 AM

i use sea foam in my 2 stroke outboard works great

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM

PSEELK

Maybe the new fuel had something to do with it?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
i use sea foam in my 2 stroke outboard works great
Hey where did you pick that suff up in airdrie, i wann run some through my street bike, and my outboard, looked at crappie tire but didnt see any....
Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
PSEELK

Maybe the new fuel had something to do with it?
It still took some run time before it would start on the first try,and before you could step on the gas without it stalling.I"m sure the new fuel did help.But its the ethonal in the fuel that gums stuff up when fuel gets old.You need something to clean that up and Seaform does it nicely and surprisingly quickly.Its not perfect yet but ,its only been running for babout 20 mins.So once it burns this tank of fuel out I"m sure it will be like new.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Hey where did you pick that suff up in airdrie, i wann run some through my street bike, and my outboard, looked at crappie tire but didnt see any....
Canadian tire sells it.It will be in everything I own from now on.You can even use in diesels.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
ct has it most of the time napa carries it so does bumper to bumper on the east side and dandys does to

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
hey where did you pick that suff up in airdrie, i wann run some through my street bike, and my outboard, looked at crappie tire but didnt see any....
napa
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM

The stuff that mechanics use is wicked stuff, If you have a friend or know a mechanic talk to them. Its an adaptor that screws into the fuel system near the back of the motor, pour the stuff into the small tank, unplug fuel pump fuse. Hook up the air line run 5psi under regular fuel pressure, start vehicle and it takes about 3-5 min and just like that, runs much much better! But for a guy to head out and buy the kit it wouldnt be cheap I dont think, hence finding someone who has one already lol
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM

For the price you are paying for it ($3-4 per bottle?) I can t imagine it to be an effective long term solution. I had a late 90's street bike that I bought that had no been properly winterized and didnt run smooth. I ran a bottle/tank for a few weeeks and it seemed to help but was only a temporary fix.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 AM

edit
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM

Default STP / Fuel Additives.

I have no experience with STP products> However, we use Lucas diesel fuel additive in all our trucks. Have had outstanding results. We add 2 oz/ 25gal.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Injector cleaners can void warranty if something will happen to injectors and dealership mechanic will say that it was caused by cleaner. I have been told about it by the guy at dealership when I bought my Ram. But it might be a problem for diesel, not sure about gasoline.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Seafoam works good. Use it in my trucks. Question is it good to put in 2stroke fuel?
Use Seafoam in 2 stroke outboard motors all the time. Does a great job of cleaning the needle and seat and jets out every spring.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 AM

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en i run this in my truck works great i work in a heavy duty shop

Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
Injector cleaners can void warranty if something will happen to injectors and dealership mechanic will say that it was caused by cleaner. I have been told about it by the guy at dealership when I bought my Ram. But it might be a problem for diesel, not sure about gasoline.
Should say whether it is safe for diesels. The main concern being that it atomizes as small as diesel does. Water does not, so it messes up the injectors.

For the original question, yes I have for a net result of .... well not too much. Much better results by draining a little off the bottom of the tank.

Fuel stabilizer seems to help, and opti 2 seems to keep carbs nice and clear.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
How would they know if you don't tell them? Doesn't gas you buy already contain some sort of fuel injector cleaner in it. eg Petro Canada Tactrol Additive. By adding something like STP or Wynns fuel injector cleaner isn't it supposed to make it clean better.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 PM

Most of it is diluted petroleum distillates or mineral spirits. I put in the pure $5 liter mineral spirits found in True Value and it does just as well as anything on the shelves of any automotive store. The only stuff that is different is the stuff designed for cleaning combustion chamber. It contains amines and oleac acid which helps break down carbon deposits(works as well for cleaning carbon in the barrel as anything I found on the shelves for barrel cleaning, and does not damage the barrel) Read the medical treatment section, and often you will find out what's in the product.

http://www.canadianconstitutionfoundation.ca/donate.php

If you need their help.

http://www.canadianconstitutionfoundation.ca/case.php