Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 AM

Default Electrical Reno Help.....(3 gang box with qty:1, 3-way switch)

Any electricians out there?.....

I want to install a three gang box at the bottom of my basement stairs. One 2way switch to run 6 pot lights in the main room, one two way switch to operate a hall light, and 3way switch to run the stair lights. Can someone draw me a basic wiring diagram (gang box perspective)?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 PM

depends on the 3way if its installed already there are so many ways it could be wired we would need to know how its wired
Old 04-22-2013, 12:32 PM

The 3way is already wired, but I want pull fresh wire and relocate the switch and lights. So i am starting "fresh" essentially. Does this help?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM

Check with the local lumberyard. There's a series of pamphlets. One of them deals with that problem and has excellent illustrations.

Grizz
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM

power into the 3 gang, 2 whips out to lights on 2 wire, on single pole switch's. pull a 3 wire to the single gang box for the 3 way, from that box to the light pull a 2 wire.

Whites in the 3 gang splice to together, pig tail the black from the panel with 3 tails that go to the common on the 3 way switch and one of the screws on each of the single pole switches (i tend to put the hot on the bottom but it does not matter) the red and black in the 3 wire go on the top 2 screws on the 3 way switch. on the other end of the 3 way switch in the single gang box, the black on the 2 wire goes to the common of the 3 way and the red and black on the 3 wire goes on the top 2 screws. white's splice together to complete the circuit.

Not sure if i have the right wiring for the 3 ways but i don't do resi very often that is off memory. that said all the wire you need will be there that is the easiest and most simple way to do a 3 way. there are others but i only use em when i have too.

found a pic for you

Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
power into the 3 gang, 2 whips out to lights on 2 wire, on single pole switch's. pull a 3 wire to the single gang box for the 3 way, from that box to the light pull a 2 wire.

Whites in the 3 gang splice to together, pig tail the black from the panel with 3 tails that go to the common on the 3 way switch and one of the screws on each of the single pole switches (i tend to put the hot on the bottom but it does not matter) the red and black in the 3 wire go on the top 2 screws on the 3 way switch. on the other end of the 3 way switch in the single gang box, the black on the 2 wire goes to the common of the 3 way and the red and black on the 3 wire goes on the top 2 screws. white's splice together to complete the circuit.

Not sure if i have the right wiring for the 3 ways but i don't do resi very often that is off memory. that said all the wire you need will be there that is the easiest and most simple way to do a 3 way. there are others but i only use em when i have too.

found a pic for you

May Not be the cheapest way if he has to make long runs Back to the light if its in the middle of the two switches. But is for sure the easiest and the way i like to do it aswell. The extra cost of wire wouldn't be very much in most cases.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 PM

Thanks a lot gents.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Apparently I'm not one to give electrical advice as per this last night. LOL

Think it'll buff out?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKiller View Post
May Not be the cheapest way if he has to make long runs Back to the light if its in the middle of the two switches. But is for sure the easiest and the way i like to do it aswell. The extra cost of wire wouldn't be very much in most cases.
That is the only way 3 way switching should be done using regular single gang boxes. As far as putting hot to the bottom screw of a switch, it is not legal, power comes to the top of any device.

Last edited by Iskra; 04-22-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM

Trying to strip it live while in the box?

Jason
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
That is the only way 3 way switching should be done using regular single gang boxes. As far as putting hot to the bottom screw of a switch, it is not legal, power comes to the top of any device.
Code reference?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post

Think it'll buff out?

That's probably how arc welding was discovered.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Think it'll buff out?
Its only a CRTK M16 no big loss
Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Code reference?
As far as a box fill goes, five wires plus a device. As far as top of a switch goes it was on your Jrmn exam. Where do you put white wire on a switch leg. I am to lazy to walk outside for my code book. Will PM you tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Code reference?
As far as breaking a circuit it does not matter, as far as safety of a next guy dealing with it, it does.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Its only a CRTK M16 no big loss
Ah, grasshopper. Faithful EVERYDAY knife for nearly 3 years now. That baby has cut, skinned, gutted, sliced, pried, chisled, picked, scraped, hammered, screwed, nicked, shaved more than any other knife I've had. Only bit me twice! LOL.
Literally nearly worn out the brass and nylon bushings on it. I'd send it back for a factory refurb, but now they would just be mad at me.
To boot, I didn't even feel the current. Handle insulated my hand. Was only 110V anyway, but still.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
As far as breaking a circuit it does not matter, as far as safety of a next guy dealing with it, it does.
Never Heard of that code before ? Also have never seen it practiced. Wires all over the damn place. Half the stuff i see i have no idea what was going through the dummies mind. Crazy electricians out there. Book Smart but not practical on the tools.

Also Three way switches can be done many ways legally.. Who said anything about a reg Single Gang ? And so you by a 1/2" deeper box then theres no problems... I never Told the guy to do anything. Just made a statement it could be done another way.

And you can Run power From oct Light box ??
It isnt the only way to be done. It may be the most common but Not the only legal way using single gangs.

Last edited by BBKiller; 04-23-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Think it'll buff out?
See, where this went all wrong for you was when you decided to use a pocket knife. The best knife for DIY electrical is the butter knife. Long and slender for gettin at those pesky screws way in the back of boxes, and if you have one with a plastic handle, well that's almost as safe as it gets.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
As far as putting hot to the bottom screw of a switch, it is not legal, power comes to the top of any device.
Yes and no.

Quote:
Code reference?
14-506; and exception (d)

Quote:
Not with a toggle switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKiller View Post
Never Heard of that code before ?
See above.

The code states that the device blades and/or contacts must be de-energized when "open" IF they are exposed.

Safety switch, yes wires to top.
Toggle switch, no, not required or necessary. One screw is always hot and you can NEVER know for sure which one may be.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM

14-506- Manual single throw switches, cb's, or magnetic switches shall be connected so that the blades or moving contacts will be dead when the device is in the open position, except that the the following need not comply,

D) switches that are designed so that all live parts are inaccessible when the device is in the open position...
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Think it'll buff out?
Right Tool, for the Job.. LOL!!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM

14-506 Connection of switches
Manual single-throw switches, circuit breakers, or magnetic switches shall be connected so that the blades or
moving contacts will be dead when the device is in the open position, except that the following need not comply:
(a) branch-circuit breakers that have all live parts other than terminals sealed and that are constructed so that
the line and load connections may be interchanged;
(b) switchgear that is provided for sectionalizing purposes and has a suitable caution notice attached to the
assembly;
(c) switches that are immersed in a liquid and have a suitable caution notice attached to the outside of the
enclosure;
(d) switches that are designed so that all live parts are inaccessible when the device is in the open position; and
(e) magnetic switches, when preceded by a circuit breaker or manual switch thatis located in the same
enclosure or immediately adjacent and is marked to indicate that it controls the circuit to the magnetic
switch, unless this is obvious.

It don't read that way to me, im sure i would of been called on it by now, and never have. That said where is the Hot screw (or common) on a 3 way, its on the bottom right.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Manual single-throw switches, circuit breakers, or magnetic switches shall be connected so that the blades or
moving contacts will be dead when the device is in the open position, except that the following need not comply:
(a) branch-circuit breakers that have all live parts other than terminals sealed and that are constructed so that
(b) switchgear that is provided for sectionalizing purposes and has a suitable caution notice attached to the
assembly;
(c) switches that are immersed in a liquid and have a suitable caution notice attached to the outside of the
enclosure;
(d) switches that are designed so that all live parts are inaccessible when the device is in the open position; and
(e) magnetic switches, when preceded by a circuit breaker or manual switch thatis located in the same
enclosure or immediately adjacent and is marked to indicate that it controls the circuit to the magnetic

It don't read that way to me, im sure i would of been called on it by now, and never have. That said where is the Hot screw (or common) on a 3 way, its on the bottom right.
X2
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
assembly;
enclosure;

Look at the drawing you supplied where is the Hot screw.
Yes this the rule. There are few exemptions but they have to be clearly marked.