Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
good point. Perhaps give the bowhunting season to the guys that hunt with spears. that's WAY more challenging than a compound bow.

Look, there's a part of me that says "a tag is a tag. give them out and let people use whatever weapon they want. No special privileges for those that hunt with a string." but I do understand that a bow hunter probably has a lower chance of success than a rifle hunter. I don't begrudge a bow season. I just get P.O.'ed at the arrogance of some bow hunters here that THEIR season should never be darkened by anyone else.
There are no special privileges, except having the privilege to hunt. We are all hunters. Pick up a bow and go hunt. The selfishness others speak of is just so much tripe, they would rather see the world burn than pick up a bow themselves. Not interested or ambitious enough to do it themselves, they would rather we all lose. It doesn't affect "me".....how many times have I heard that apathetic, unconcerned, slothful, lifeless, neglectful..............attitude. If hunters who think other hunters who use a bow are elite........it's only because they fail to rise to the occasion themselves. Showing resentment...............is pure jealousy. I have no problem with handicapped or senior outdoorsmen using a crossbow any time of the year. I own one myself and use it in the general season. There is no comparison between using my crossbow and recurves, longbows, compounds. Sit in a tree or in a blind with a cocked, scoped crossbow...................if you do not kill the animal you shoot at, everytime, you shoud reconsider your hunting pastime. It gets even better when you mount a bipod underneath it. The archery season is just fine as it stands.............call me elite lol.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
There is no comparison between using my crossbow and recurves, longbows, compounds. Sit in a tree or in a blind with a cocked, scoped crossbow...................if you do not kill the animal you shoot at, everytime, you shoud reconsider your hunting pastime.
So how many animals have you taken with a crossbow?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So how many animals have you taken with a crossbow?
Two whitetails in the "General Season". It was too easy. You don't get busted drawing on them, you do not have to concern yourself with bulky clothing like you would with a bow, scope them way before they come into range, pull the trigger when they present the best profile. I could not ever imagine missing. Similar to using a scoped rifle at 50< yards. You could double that if you have your scope set up for it.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Two whitetails in the "General Season". It was too easy. You don't get busted drawing on them, you do not have to concern yourself with bulky clothing like you would with a bow, scope them way before they come into range, pull the trigger when they present the best profile. I could not ever imagine missing. Similar to using a scoped rifle at 50< yards. You could double that if you have your scope set up for it.
Even if that's all true, why are you bothered by the thought of a guy with a horizontal bow with a pistol grip hunting a mile away in October? Why fight to take away an opportunity from a fellow hunter? And as some here have said in relation to bowhunting, there would be nothing stopping you from picking up a crossbow and enjoying...
Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Even if that's all true, why are you bothered by the thought of a guy with a horizontal bow with a pistol grip hunting a mile away in October? Why fight to take away an opportunity from a fellow hunter? And as some here have said in relation to bowhunting, there would be nothing stopping you from picking up a crossbow and enjoying...
I don't understand the comeback and I don't know why you would think any of what I said is false. If hunting in Oct with a crossbow is in the general season, I have no problem with that. You can't take away an opportunity that does not exist (crossbow hunting in the archery season). EVERYONE has the opportunituy to pick up a bow. Including crossbows in the archery season has has nothing to do with enlightenment, it's more to do with wearing down the status quo. Just like any controversial action, there is fierce opposition towards it, followed by more activism, followed by less fierce opposition, followed by fierce activism, followed by a numb opposition, followed by relentless activism followed by tolerance, acceptance...right or wrong. In the end all of the dominoes will have fallen and we will have crossbows in the archery season. The archery season will not resemble what it is now, in terms of tags and/or length of season. Fighting for crossbows will create less opportunity, not more. Until that time, I'm committed to ABC (Anything But Crossbows), in the archery season (with exemptions for handicapped and seniors).