Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
How much of a launch do you need? If you need one for a larger boat you could use the provincial park launch. For small boats and vehicles that do not need concrete there's ones at Seba Beach, and Fallis as well. though parking a Fallis is a bit of a pain.
Thanks cube. 18' boat
Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 PM

Nice looking walleye!!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Walleye will not take over Wabamun. There are simply to many pike. Every other fish in there will suffer though. Kinda of like what happened in pigeon to the perch. Calling lake did suffer though because the fish were starving.... Which is why they opened up the limits to 2 walleye. Back in 2000-2006 this lake was unreal.... But its just like every other lake around 2-3 hours of a big city... The good fishing only lasts so long. I used to pull 6lb-10lb walleye out of there all day long.
I hope Wabamun never gets opened up!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:00 PM

Default Wabamun Creek

Wabamun is connected to the North Saskatchewan River by a small creek. Walleye are native to the NSR and any lake that is connected to the river.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd05 View Post
Wabamun is connected to the North Saskatchewan River by a small creek. Walleye are native to the NSR and any lake that is connected to the river.
how many obstacles would they have to overcome in that little creek to make it... culverts, beaver dams....etc...I would guess its not happenin.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
how many obstacles would they have to overcome in that little creek to make it... culverts, beaver dams....etc...I would guess its not happenin.
He said they are native to the lake... I'm sure at some point a few walleye swam that creek
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 AM

If there are acurrate historical records of walleye from 100 years ago, then walleye are indeed indigenous to Wabamun.

Restoration of walleye stocks to Wabamun is good thing,,,, the big thing will be to balance and limit harvest if and when SRD allows it, so as not to pressure one species (pike or walleye) over the other.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
If there are acurrate historical records of walleye from 100 years ago, then walleye are indeed indigenous to Wabamun.

Restoration of walleye stocks to Wabamun is good thing,,,, the big thing will be to balance and limit harvest if and when SRD allows it, so as not to pressure one species (pike or walleye) over the other.
Actually there are no accurate historical records of walleye in Wabamun.

according to
Lake Wabamun:A Review of Scientific Studies and Environmental Impacts produced by Dr. David W. Schindler for the Alberta Government page 36.

"only anecdotal reports suggest that walleye were an incidental species in Lake Wabamun

Words like anecdotal and incidental do not lead me to believe that there were large naturally occurring walleye populations in Wab.

In my opinion just because we can put a fish species into a lake does not mean we should. I sure if we look back far enough we would find evidence of grayling as well as trout species and lake sturgeon in there as well.

I believe we have a very good fishery there now and would hate to lose it.

Last edited by cube; 06-03-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 AM

The walleye issue is simply an impact originating from the warm water discharge.

Spawning for most fish is triggered by water temperature and photo periods (daylight duration).

Water temperature is a key driver in triggering the spawn for members of the perch family, more so, than that of other families of fish (like pike and whitefish). They are much more susceptible to temperature manipulations to trigger a spawn.

Perch populations (same family as walleye) in that lake were also impacted by the warm water discharge. Perch populations have been determined to be quite low.

It is known that due to this, this walleye in Wabamun spawned early and the fry simply had nothing to eat as their forage would not developed in the cooler surrounding water. This is likely the reason the walleye died out.

I would suggest any biologist out there could underpin this theory. It is further supported by the fact TransAlta has been actively involved in "repairing and re mediating" this issue - with their support of the walleye introduction program.

Plain and simple, it is likely the walleye died out due to the warm water discharge and that, because the Walleye ARE a native member of the NSR watershed, it is likely they existed in some form at the lake prior to the powerplant.

Having said all that - I personally don't think a walleye re-introduction, if managed correctly, will have a dramatic impact on the Pike in the lake as it will find a natural balance.

Will there be less food for the pike? the added balance of having smaller walleyes (which pike feed off of) may offset the competition of the remaining forage base - ultimately balancing the equation.

I, too, am a strong supporter of the trophy pike fishery and would hate to see it destroyed by mis-management. I am optimistic.

I hope I'm right ...........
Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The walleye issue is simply an impact originating from the warm water discharge.

Will there be less food for the pike? the added balance of having smaller walleyes (which pike feed off of) may offset the competition of the remaining forage base - ultimately balancing the equation.

I, too, am a strong supporter of the trophy pike fishery and would hate to see it destroyed by mis-management. I am optimistic.

I hope I'm right ...........

Given Schindler's report goes back more than a century, which certainly pre dates the power plant, it is unlikely to be the cause of not having large sustainable walleye populations in Wab before.

There were of course walleye in Wab in the time your referring but they were stocked there in 1983 and 1986. Perhaps those were affected by the water temps but it's funny that no other species was so affected and only anecdotal, incidental reports of their presence exist before that.

I too hope you are right.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
i just found out theres a marked parking area just before the cabins on a chunk of grass lmao i been goin there for so many years and never knew... a local cabin owner pointed the sighn out to me and it is in fact in plain view
WHERE????? Fallis or Seba???
Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 AM

This day use area is a fallis right where u turn toward to the launch its about a half km walk or so once u launch ur boat.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
WHERE????? Fallis or Seba???
yup fallis right before the cabins the patch of grass behind the sign that says day use
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM

Caught my first Wabamun Walleye over the weekend, casting off our dock using a #0 Five of Diamonds. Was a small one, I would say no more than 10", lost him as I was lifting it out of the water, but was a nice dark green color. Also caught around 15-20 Pike off the same dock between myself and a couple friends. Biggest was a 8lb 10oz, most were 3lb or under.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 AM

All I can say is that, it is not the walleye that depleated the large pike it was the human race, once a pike hits a certain size no problem anymore and they feed alot more in different areas, Stop people from keeping the large fish and I think slot size is good to keep groth going, but we need to stop the over fishing in any lake, nets, pouchers and etc.................Great day of fishing....