Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Alberta Bird Hunter

Default Renewing your PAL

Does anyone have any info (and where it can be obtained) about renewing a PAL? I have gone through the CFC website and can find lots of info for people who want to get their license who don't already, but so far nothing on the process of renewal.

i.e. how much does it cost to renew
i.e. do you have to take the test again
i.e. do you have to wait months for a renewal to be processed

etc.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Cowboy

Just went through the process. It cost me $80 to renew that covers restricted also. If you only have long guns s/b $60. I'm same as you ,spent a long time searching the website. Finally got so mad, usually happens on gun registry things. I phoned the CFC and got all the dope. You'll need a picture. I used the same one as last time. It paid to ask for 2 when done the 1st time. No test, send copy(keep orig.) of your test results. Mine took 3 weeks longer because I forgot to check off one box on the app.Sent in Nov ,got back in mid Jan.

What supprised me is I now have a completely new PAL number. Dumb me I thought it was a renewal.---Cowboy
Old 02-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Alberta Bird Hunter

Sounds like it is going to be dumb me when it comes to be my turn.. I don't know where my copy of the test results are. Why I would have to send in a copy of test results when it is a renewal and they have already given me a license based upon taking the test is beyond me. It would have been nice to know at the time I got my PAL (which was for restricted too) that I had to keep a copy of them myself and be a record keeper for the government into perpetuity for license renewals.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Tucumseh

It is dumb, its B.S. and those azzholes down there love complicating our lives.
I'd love to shove my moose horn right up their gun registry!
There, let them register that and renew it!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Alberta Bird Hunter

I just phoned the Firearm Centre to find out about the whole test result thing.

They said that if you took the firearm safety course after 1993 (which I did) then you do not have to send in your test results with your renewal as they will have them on file. Go figure.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:06 AM
timberj

Does this work the same for upgrading from a possession only to a possession and aquisition? I don't have a clue where my firearms safety course receipt may be... but obviously had it at the time I got the possession only licence.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:12 AM
Morbius131

How do you find out that you have to renew your PAL??
Old 03-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Alberta Bird Hunter

For renewing your PAL, the CFC said they send out new forms about 3 months prior to your PAL expiring (the expiry date is on your license). You have to go through the same process as getting a new one in that you have to fill out the same form, get others to sign you aren't a bad person, have two new photos, etc. The only difference is you don't require your test results since you already have a license.

In terms of upgrading from a POL to a PAL, I have no idea how that works as I got a PAL from the get go. You'd have to phone the CFC and find out.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:21 PM
jrs

Finally got my PAl today. I sent away the application before spring bear opened in the south. (March sometime) Over 2 months for a renewal, what a joke.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:43 AM
osterb

Default re

"i.e. how much does it cost to renew"

The same price as it initially did. 60 for non-res and 80 for non and restricted.

"i.e. do you have to take the test again"

No, just send in the renewal and you'll have already been inssued one thus meaning you've already taken the course

"i.e. do you have to wait months for a renewal to be processed"

Since the CFC is composed of flying monkeys it's good to send ti in a few months early in case they get held up on their paperwork. You wouldn't want your license to lapse and make you a criminal >D
Old 06-15-2005, 05:47 AM
osterb

Default Re: re

-> www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/online.../979_e.asp

About the copy, I wouldn't think you'd have to resend a copy of your tests. They should have your first on file. You only have two copies and you send away your first ones the first time you apply :eek
Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 AM
lilsundance

Well I sent my application in tonight. Lets see how long it takes me to get mine back. My brother had his back in a month.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:20 PM
lilsundance

They received it on the 24th of june and I got confirmation on the net last night that my pal has been issued and if I haven't received it in two weeks to call them. Now its up to Canada post. lol
And this is a new application for a pal. I only had a pol. before.